He Sees You When He's Creepin':…

He Sees You When He's Creepin': Tales of Krampus

by Kate Wolford

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The anti-Santa in short stories. I'm not a fan of short stories. The stories were okay...not scary at all and a few were on the boring side. ( )
  MyTor | Mar 17, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had never heard of Krampus before this Christmas, so I was quite curious. Before reading the book, I did some internet searching in order to find out a little about the legend. A very interesting legend, to say the least! The anthology here, was a mix of tongue-in-cheek stories, horror/thriller, and downright hilarious. I enjoyed most of them. Some made me laugh out loud, a couple grossed me out, most were just enjoyable. Not a bad collection. ( )
  alanbethcam | Jan 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Unfortunately for me, I had a difficult time getting this ebook onto my Kindle app, and my Kobo reader is MIA. Once I finally got it set up on my phone, I spent my 3 or 4 quietest nights at work reading through it. Most of the stories were great! My favorite was The Business of Christmas, then Schadenfreude which was pretty funny. While each story is different, still we learn things and are given points to consider...like could Krampus be a woman, or a doctor, or treated like a dog by the beloved St. Nick? ( )
  Shirleyb335 | Jan 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The 'Tales of Krampus' is a collection of short stories that is apparently a companion to an earlier book 'Krampunsnacht: Twelve Night of Krampus,', which I have not read but I did not find that this caused any problems in reading this one, all of the stories I read seemed fine as stand alone's.

This is a fun, fun collection, even the weakest of the stories (which for me is a tie between Villainess Ascending and Santa's Little Helper) had fun elements and felt worth reading. I don't even think I could pick a favorite out of all of them to be honest. They were all so different and touched on a variety of genres and for all that this collection focuses on Krampus, for me it actually did a good job expressing the more positive or even realistic themes of family and Christmas so I'm glad I read it at Christmas time when I sort of needed a pick me up...which now seems odd to type considering how dark some of the stories got...
I enjoyed this collection so much and I am so excited about the new authors I've just been introduced to as well as the other collections offered by this publisher, which I've added to my to be read list. ( )
  Kellswitch | Jan 4, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was the perfect read for a Grinch and Krampus fan, such as myself, during the holiday season. This collection of stories has something for everyone-fairy tales (a Cinderella like you've never seen before!), modern tales (corporate Christmas!), and humor (Krampus as flustered father!). There are stories that will make you think, stories that will make you nostalgic, and stories that will make you laugh out loud. Lady Krampus, Dr. Krampus, even ready-to-retire Krampus! I honestly cannot say anything bad about this collection, I really enjoyed every story. It is collections like this that will help to make Krampus a mainstay, and hopefully knock that creepy elf off the shelf for good!

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  JenGarland | Dec 19, 2016 |

The 'Tales of Krampus' collection of short stories is a companion to the earlier book 'Krampunsnacht: Twelve Night of Krampus,' and included thrilling works by a multitude of Authors (see list at the bottom of this review.)

This wonderful collection provides a refreshing look at Krampus, St. Nicholas' foe (or at least that's who we though Krampus was.) German folklore paints a rather different picture of Krampus, showing both good and bad sides to his Earthbound duties.

With tales involving Irish Fae, revisited fairy tales, and Krampus as a family figure, I found myself hooked to each and every tale. December 5th, Known as Krampusnacht, plays a key role in these stories, as the day of celebration for the beast Krampus.

This collection has shown me that perception really is everything. They are intelligently written pieces, which often portray Krampus as a prisoner, living under the shackles of the watchful St. Nick, and charged with a duty that he has no say in.

Several tales go as far as to make Krampus into a victim, which I found particularly interesting since I had only ever heard of the stereotypical Krampus figure, equivalent to the Christian Devil.

These dark fantasies were easy to dive into, with an interesting array of characters throughout. My favourite tale, 'Krampus: The Summoning,' by Brad. P. Christy shows how the demon Krampus was supposedly brought into being.

This collection is ideal for lovers of mythology and folklore, though I'd say it was geared toward young adults and those older, due to some of the darker themes of the stories. I would gladly recommend this collection to anyone and rate is five our of five stars.
added by DaccariBuchelli | editDaccari Buchelli

Krampus is the cloven-hoofed, curly-horned, and long-tongued dark companion of St. Nick. Sometimes a hero, sometimes a villain, within these pages, he’s always more than just a sidekick. You’ll meet manifestations of Santa’s dark servant as he goes toe-to-toe with a bratty Cinderella, a guitar-slinging girl hero, a coffee shop-owning hipster, and sometimes even St. Nick himself. Whether you want a dash of horror or a hint of joy and redemption, these 12 new tales of Krampus will help you gear up for the most “wonderful” time of the year.

Featuring original stories by Steven Grimm, Lissa Marie Redmond, Beth Mann, Anya J. Davis, E.J. Hagadorn, S.E. Foley, Brad P. Christy, Ross Baxter, Nancy Brewka-Clark, Tamsin Showbrook, E.M. Eastick, and Jude Tulli.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 02 Dec 2016 09:51:53 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Kate Wolford's book He Sees You When He's Creepin': Tales of Krampus is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,413,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible