Mary Russell's War and Other Stories of…

Mary Russell's War and Other Stories of Suspense

by Laurie R. King

Series: Mary Russell (short stories)

Really enjoyed! I've read Laurie King's Mary Russell series novels, but not these adjacent short stories. It was interesting to see the author has a more detailed understanding of the main character than what was included in the novels. I find the voice of the main character very authentic and the addition of Sherlock Holmes an additional bonus. I'd recommend this book for fans of the series. ( )
  MM_Jones | Jul 7, 2017 |
Short stories relating to the Mary Russell mysteries. I really enjoyed them. The only ones that gave me some concern were the ones relating to the most recent mysteries as I haven't read them yet. The stories really buy into the conceit that there was a real Sherlock Homes and that he did marry Mary Russell. I found the prequel to Mary Russell's life interesting and sad in the early part because we know what happens from the full-length books. ( )
  phyllis2779 | May 11, 2017 |
Part of me was thrilled with this and part of me was very disappointed. I thought that this was going to be a completely new novel in the Mary Russell series but it turns out to be a collection of short stories that are gap fillers for the time frames of the full novels. I'd read most of these already so very disappointed. ( )
  cyderry | Mar 23, 2017 |
Mary Russell’s War and Other Stories of Suspense - Laurie R. King
4 stars

It’s really not fair. I’d already read, and even purchased some of the stories in this collection. Most of them were published first on King’s blog and several were available as kindle singles. But, this book gathered them all together and published a few of them in paper for the first time. And, naturally there’s one story that is not available in any other format. That’s the one I had to read.
Obviously, I am a fan of King’s Mary Russell/ Sherlock Holmes series. It is consistently entertaining. These stories are all enjoyable little gap fillers in the long running series. Two stories; Mary’s Christmas and the newly published Stately Holmes allowed me to have a brief holiday visit with favorite characters. Easy reading, just what I needed during a hectic month. ( )
  msjudy | Jan 1, 2017 |
Filling in blanks, giving new insight, and generally giving entertainment, this collection of stories about Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes is entirely satisfying apart from the story where the reader is expected to believe that Sherlock is alive and well at the age of 130 and still up to his old tricks! ( )
  tjsjohanna | Dec 31, 2016 |

King, Laurie R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klinger, Leslie S.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Every little girl should have an Uncle Jake.
This is the story collection. Do not combine with the novella Mary Russell's War.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 146420733X, Paperback)

A dynamic short story collection that illuminates many hidden corners of the beloved, best-selling Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes series.

Since the first book-length "memoir" appeared in 1994, the partnership of young Mary Russell and her more famous partner, Sherlock Holmes, has excited a community of readers, young and old.

With this collection, nine previously published short stories and one never-before-seen Sherlock Holmes mystery are brought together for the first time. Following an "Appreciation" by noted Sherlockian Leslie S. Klinger, Laurie R. King blends vivid historical settings with narrative sleight-of-hand, from a novella composed of Mary Russell's teenage diaries to the story of how, in her nineties, Miss Russell came to send her Memoirs to Laurie R. King, and from Mrs. Hudson's own investigation to a tale of young Russell's beloved Uncle Jake-and, a Christmas investigation by Sherlock Holmes and his very young assistant.

Mary's Christmas
A Venomous Death
My Story
A Case in Correspondence
Stately Holmes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 01 Dec 2016 02:48:14 -0500)

Laurie R. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,056,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible