The Odds of You and Me: A Novel by Cecilia…

The Odds of You and Me: A Novel

by Cecilia Galante

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book snatched me up in the beginning, and never let go until the end. Such a wonderful read!
  cudders007 | Jun 2, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I went into this book blind, with no expectations of it. So I was stunned with how quickly this book got under my skin and didn't let go.

This is the story of Bird, a young mother, with two weeks of probation left. If she can get through this time with no incidents, she gets her life back, her sense of freedom and self-determination. She's made her mistakes, she's paid her debt, and she just wants to put it all behind her.

But then someone from her past returns, and she has to make a choice: does she show compassion and mercy to someone who once did the same for her, even though it could cost her everything?

Like all the toughest choices, and all the best literature, how Bird handles this speaks to who she is and who she wants to be. It's worth spending time with her to find out how she manages the challenge thrown in her path, and to contemplate how we would answer this call ourselves.

My thanks to the publisher and Library Thing for a copy of this book in return for an honest review.
  LauraCerone | May 29, 2017 |
Bernadette (“Bird”) Connolly, 25, only has 13 days left until the end of her probation for having written some bad checks at the grocery store when she was desperate to provide for herself and her new toddler Angus. She already paid off the restitution fees, and is looking forward to moving with Angus to a nice new place, instead of living with her mother, with whom she argues constantly. Bird’s mother is deeply religious, and doesn’t approve of her daughter. The mom also repeatedly harps on Bird to go to the Catholic Church, but Bird doesn’t believe in God. Explaining about the difference between herself and her mother, she thinks:

“She took things on faith, simply because, long ago, she had decided to believe. That wasn’t enough for me. If I was going to believe in something, if I was going to stand in awe of a fact, I wanted to know that I was doing so for a logical, defined reason. That it deserved to be believed in; because it was not only worthy of, but merited, my awe.”

There was another reason she eschewed faith. Ever since Bird’s beloved father died in an auto accident and the priest told her it was okay because Jesus was there with him (as he died), Bird turned away from religion.

Before Angus was born, when Bird worked at a burger restaurant, she became friends with a kitchen worker, James Rittenhouse. She was dating the manager, Charlie, but that was mostly sex. Her relationship with James was something different. Unlike Charlie, James was shy and kind, and seemed to “get” Bird in a way no one else did. He saw her for what she was and it didn’t change how he felt toward her, and that meant everything to Bird.

The story goes back and forth in time, and it takes a while to find out what happened with Bird, Charlie, and James, and how it is that now, five years later, Bird is a single mom and James is on the run from police. But unfortunately what happened in the past suddenly becomes central to Bird’s life again, and could jeopardize the future for which she had worked so hard.

The ending is realistic, if not what readers may want. And Bird finally comes to understand that she could show the same compassion to, and forgiveness for, herself that she extends to others.

Evaluation: This story moved a little slowly for my tastes, but it’s good, and quite poignant and thought-provoking. It would make an excellent choice for book clubs. ( )
  nbmars | May 16, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I recently took a break from reviewing so this is my first review in a while. I chose this book because it looked significantly different from what I usually read. I wanted an author that I had never read before and a topic that wasn’t a “safe bet” for me. So I picked up The Odds of You and Me, not really knowing how it would go but embracing this brand new experience and luckily, my gamble paid off.

I was initially hesitant about this book because after reading the blurb, I had some doubts about the characters. I thought I might have a hard time relating to them. Well, I was very wrong about this hunch. Not only did I find them totally relatable, I was rooting for them with everything I had. Both Bird and James were just normal people who made mistakes due to difficult circumstances in their lives. The truth is, you never really know what other people are going through or where they’re coming from. Everyone has their demons. I enjoyed getting to know them and I also liked the author’s writing style.

The only reason why I’m not giving it 5 stars is because I was heartbroken for a little while. I don’t want to give anything away, but it took me a bit to recover from this and get back on track. In my opinion, that was the only down side to the book because everything else was spot on.

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review* ( )
  SpellboundRDR | Mar 15, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Bernadette "Bird" Sincavage has only thirteen days before she is off probation and will be free and can give her four year old son the life he deserves. Then, someone she worked with a few years ago gets in trouble with the law and she happens to discover him, hiding, hurt and in need of help. Will she jeapordize her freedom to help someone who helped her in the past?
I received this book as part of the Early Reviewers program.
This story moved quickly and the characters were interesting and likable. There were a few inconsistencies in the book, but nothing that made the story unbelievable to me. While the ending may not seem entirely plausible, it isn't completely far fetched and seemed appropriate to the story. Overall, this was an enjoyable YA novel. ( )
  bookaholicgirl | Mar 13, 2017 |

In the vein of Meg Donohue and Sarah Jio, Cecilia Galante’s second novel delivers the powerful story of one young woman who’s faced with an impossible choice—one that could have her making the biggest mistake of her life.

Thirteen days. That’s all Bernadette, “Bird,” Sincavage has left to go until she’s done with her probation and can be free again. Free from making payments to the supermarket she wrote bad checks to. Free from living at home with her overzealous mother who’s constantly nagging her about attending church again. Free to give her four-year-old son, Angus, the normal life he deserves. Her impending freedom and move to Moon Lake, where she’s plunked down a deposit on a brand new apartment, is so close she can almost taste it. What trouble could she possibly get into in just thirteen days?

But trouble does follow in the form of James Rittenhouse—someone she worked with a few years ago. At first, Bird is stunned to see James make the evening news when he’s arrested for assaulting someone in a local bar. But that’s nothing compared to the shock she gets when she discovers James hiding out in an abandoned church choir loft. Somehow he escaped police custody, broke his leg, and got his hand on a gun, which he’s now pointing at her.

Although Bird doesn’t tell anyone she saw James, there’s no way she’s helping him. She can’t screw up her probation or her second chance for a new future. And she has her son’s welfare to think about. Still. If only she could stop thinking about the terrified look in James’ eyes and the fact that he’s hurt. If only she could forget that once, long ago, James helped her out, and she owes him a debt like no other.

Will Bird jeopardize her future for someone who helped her out in the past? A past that holds secrets she’s not quite sure she’s ready to face? Or will she turn a blind eye and learn to live with the consequences?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 01 Dec 2016 17:00:01 -0500)

Thirteen days. That's all Bernadette, "Bird," Sincavage has left to go until she's done with her probation and can be free again. Free from making payments to the supermarket she wrote bad checks to. Free from living at home with her overzealous mother who's constantly nagging her about attending church again. Free to give her four-year-old son, Angus, the normal life he deserves. Her impending freedom and move to Moon Lake, where she's plunked down a deposit on a brand new apartment, is so close she can almost taste it. What trouble could she possibly get into in just thirteen days? But trouble does follow in the form of James Rittenhouse -someone she worked with a few years ago. At first, Bird is stunned to see James make the evening news when he's arrested for assaulting someone in a local bar. But that's nothing compared to the shock she gets when she discovers James hiding out in an abandoned church choir loft. Somehow he escaped police custody, broke his leg, and got his hand on a gun, which he's now pointing at her. Although Bird doesn't tell anyone she saw James, there's no way she's helping him. She can't screw up her probation or her second chance for a new future. And she has her son's welfare to think about. Still. If only she could stop thinking about the terrified look in James' eyes and the fact that he's hurt. If only she could forget that once, long ago, James helped her out, and she owes him a debt like no other. Will Bird jeopardize her future for someone who helped her out in the past? A past that holds secrets she's not quite sure she's ready to face? Or will she turn a blind eye and learn to live with the consequences?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Cecilia Galante's book The Odds of You and Me is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible