The Cowboy SEAL's Jingle Bell Baby (Cowboy…

The Cowboy SEAL's Jingle Bell Baby (Cowboy SEALs)

by Laura Marie Altom

621,268,033 (2.5)None

Tiffany and Rowdy "met" when both were more than a little intoxicated. Rowdy was home on leave and looking for some action. Tiffany was attempting to forget the mess that her life was, with a father who had just gone to prison and a husband who filed for divorce because of it. The sparks between them were immediate and intense. They didn't expect to see each other again, as Tiffany went back to her life and Rowdy left on another deployment. When he returned, Rowdy was shocked to find out that Tiffany was pregnant and planned to give the baby up for adoption.

Rowdy is an honorable guy, and he heads home to make things right with Tiffany. He comes on very strong, insisting that the best thing to do is marry and raise the baby themselves. He doesn't take into account that he and Tiffany don't know each other, that she has her own life to live, and that he is gone more than he is home. Tiffany is shocked to see Rowdy after such a long time, and pretty skeptical of his reasons for not getting in touch. She has enough on her plate, supporting her mother and grandmother, and a baby is more than she thinks she can handle. She has put a lot of thought into her options and isn't happy to have Rowdy trying to interfere.

Both Rowdy and Tiffany irritated me through a good share of the book. Rowdy is pushy and doesn't seem to pay much attention to the reasons Tiffany wants to give the baby up at first. Then he thinks about the changes it could mean to his life, and suddenly he starts waffling back and forth over what he wants to do. Unfortunately, it seems more about the effects on him than what is best for the baby. My problem with Tiffany was her lack of confidence in her ability to handle raising a baby. She also let her pride get in the way. Even when Rowdy made it clear that he would provide support, even if she didn't want to marry him, she looked at that as a cop-out. The redeeming factor was that neither one wanted to give up the baby, they were just letting their fears dictate their actions.

I did enjoy the development of their relationship. It was fun to see Rowdy insert himself into Tiffany's life, making himself indispensable to her mother and grandmother. He was also sweet and protective of her. I liked seeing him take her shopping, then care for her when she had problems. Tiffany is wary of letting herself fall for Rowdy. She's been let down before and doesn't want to risk it again. But being around Rowdy scrambles her brains and her insides, and he is starting to convince her that maybe they can make it work. There are still some challenges that come up, such as when he gets called for a mission and doesn't bother to let her know he has to leave town for a while. And when Rowdy loses a friend on that mission, he starts to wonder if Tiffany was right all along. I did like how they made up their minds at the end. The epilogue was good.

The secondary characters were interesting. I liked Rowdy's family. They weren't shy about giving him advice, but they also gave their support no matter what his decision was. Both his dad and his brother made some very good points. Tiffany's mom and grandmother were both pretty odd. Both of them latch on to the idea of Tiffany and Rowdy getting married and nothing will convince them otherwise. Tiffany's mom, Gigi, seems to be in a world of her own most of the time, ignoring their changed circumstances. Grandmother Pearl had her own quirks and was pretty talented at finding ways to keep Rowdy close to Tiffany. I also liked Rowdy's SEAL friends and ached for their loss. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Mar 18, 2018 |
Oh good grief. Another "emergency" c-section. Maybe authors should actually double check the facts.... being part of the whole mainline to get women to give up the power and experience of childbirth is just too over the top. Please note that medically, it is within normal range for a baby's heartbeat to have decels. The real health problem here was the mother's blood pressure and likely preecclampsia.

I was not able to really connect with the characters here. They were selfish and self centered. I found myself not really caring what the outcome was at several points. The plotline was good and did carry the energy, but I was unable to give more than 2.5 stars. ( )
  LadyTi | Sep 5, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,386,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible