Precious Things by Kelly Doust

by Kelly Doust

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added byHeatherLINC

No tags.

What a delightful read "Precious Things" was. It had a lovely mix of contemporary and historical, and I thoroughly enjoyed the story with all its emotion, turmoils and heartbreak. I found modern-day Maggie very likeable as she struggled with marriage, motherhood and a demanding career, and I think many female readers will easily relate to her.

However, what I loved most were the shorter chapters that were woven throughout Maggie's story showing the history of the beaded collar Maggie had found. Beginning in 1891, when a young woman first makes the collar for her wedding dress, these chapters followed the lives of the women who subsequently owned the handmade piece using it not only as a collar, but also a coronet, fashion statement and art piece. Each woman's story was unique and their narrative compelling.

However, like many books, I found the epilogue unnecessary but, overall, a beautifully detailed, multi-layered story about the things we hold dear. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Dec 5, 2016 |

In the tradition of gloriously absorbing, lush and moving women's fiction by authors such as Kate Morton, Lucinda Riley and Joanne Harris comes PRECIOUS THINGS.

Normandy, France, 1891: a young woman painstakingly sews an intricate beaded collar to her wedding dress, the night before her marriage to someone she barely knows. Yet Aimee longs for so much more ...

Shanghai, 1926: dancing sensation and wild child Zephyr spies what looks like a beaded headpiece lying carelessly discarded on a ballroom floor. She takes it with her to Malaya where she sets her sights on a prize so out of reach that, in striving for it, she will jeopardise everything she holds dear ...

PRECIOUS THINGS tells the story of a collar - a wonderful, glittering beaded piece - and its journey through the decades. It's also the story of Maggie, an auctioneer living in modern-day London, who comes across the crumpled, neglected collar in a box of old junk, and sets out on an unexpected mission to discover more about its secret and elusive past.

Maggie has a journey of her own too. Juggling a demanding job, a clingy young child and a rebellious stepdaughter, and with her once-solid marriage foundering under the pressure of a busy life, Maggie has to find out the hard way that you can't always get what you want... but sometimes, you're lucky enough to get precisely what you need.

This is a wonderful, absorbing and moving novel about desire, marriage and family, telling the story about how we so often reach out for the sparkly, shiny things (and people) we desire, only to realise - in the nick of time - that the most precious things are the ones we've had with us all along.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,932,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible