The Gift by Louise Jensen

The Gift

by Louise Jensen

I'm sorry to say that this book just didn't work for me. I read 24% before I quite. I will perhaps continue some day in the future, but right now I felt that it was the wrong time for me to read the book! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
I always enjoy reading mysteries with a medical twist so I was very excited to receive a free copy of this book through Netgalley. The book starts as Jenna is recovering from a heart transplant and is suffering from depression. She is obsessed with knowing about her donor and contacts her family. Callie, the donor, was killed in a car accident, but things don't add up for Jenna. She starts having strange dreams and wakes up convinced they are not dreams but memories, Callie’s memories. Research introduces her to the idea of cellular memory, which hypothesizes that memories reside in cells throughout the body. She is convinced that Callie’s memories have been passed on to her with the transplant and that Callie is trying to tell Jenna that her death was not an accident. She begins to investigate and puts herself in danger. The suspense ratchets up and the ending was completely unexpected to me. I found this to be an enjoyable mystery with likeable characters. I look forward to reading more of Ms. Jensen’s work. ( )
  Randi_Robinson69 | Oct 7, 2017 |
Cellular Memory
I didn't research and I have no idea if it actually exists but yea, I didn't care for it. The book was good but having to suspend my beliefs through the entire book weighed on the outcome for me.

So. Jenna receives Callie heart and Jenna keeps dreaming/seeing Callie's memories. But wait. She also senses her fears and through the whole book Jenna tries to figure out what Callie is telling her. If you're okay with that, it's a pretty good book. I had a hard time with it. ( )
  Sharn | May 8, 2017 |
The Gift by Louise Jensen is the follow up novel to her phenomenal success, The Sister. I had high hopes for The Gift, but I felt, on a few levels it fell short. Jenna the main character is in dire need of a heart transplant, and a donor finally becomes available. The donor heart is from a young woman named Callie. After Jenna has her transplant and begins the healing journey, she begins to experience something called cellular memory, i.e., she can feel some of the same emotions the donor felt, wants to eat the same foods, very strong strange dreams, etc. This was something I wasn't completely aware of, and for that reason, it was sort of interesting. Beyond that, Jenna becomes determined to meet the donor's family, even though she is strongly advised against doing so, even by her therapist. It just doesn't seem like a good idea, and I do concur with that. However, that finding of, and getting to know the donor's family is an integral, if flawed part of this story. A false premise so to speak. Jenna became obsessed with Callie, obsessed with finding out how she died, and ultimately solving a great mystery. While a strong story on the surface, I could not overcome that storyline bias, and also found the writing needed some more editing for the book to read more smoothly. Netgalley kindly provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  ValeryElias | Mar 27, 2017 |
Three and three quarter stars
Jenna (who it has to be said is pretty annoying) has a heart transplant and that should be that, but she is determined to find out who the donor was despite advice to the contrary. There's some mystery about this donor, Callie and Jenna being Jenna refuses to give up until she knows what it is. Great story and writing and I loved it until it started veering on the incredulous plus not all the ends were tied up ie some of the other characters. Despite that I was still gripped and thought it was a good, exciting thriller which was different from normal. ( )
  boudicca123 | Jan 29, 2017 |

The perfect daughter is dead. And a secret is eating her family alive... Jenna is given another shot at life when she receives a donor heart from a girl called Callie. Eternally grateful to Callie and her family, Jenna gets closer to them, but she soon discovers that Callie's perfect family is hiding some very dark secrets ... Callie's parents are grieving, yet Jenna knows they're only telling her half the story. Where is Callie's sister Sophie? She's been 'abroad' since her sister's death but something about her absence doesn't add up. And when Jenna meets Callie's boyfriend Nathan, she makes a shocking discovery. Jenna knows that Callie didn't die in an accident. But how did she die? Jenna is determined to discover the truth but it could cost her everything; her loved ones, her sanity, even her life.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,142,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible