Within the Sanctuary of Wings by Marie…

Within the Sanctuary of Wings (edition 2017)

by Marie Brennan

Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:Within the Sanctuary of Wings
Authors:Marie Brennan
Info:Tom Doherty Associates
Collections:ebooks, Working on
Tags:Fic, SF, !Po, _import170613, __make_cover

Within the Sanctuary of Wings by Marie Brennan

A fantastic conclusion to the Lady Trent's Memoirs series. The growth of the worldbuilding and the focus of this book makes the series of zoology and anthropology even more memorable. This books creates a satisfying ending to a plot hinted at in all the previous books while also gaining a wonderful attachment to the characters. I enjoyed all the books in the series, but the 4th and 5th book really stood out to me. ( )
  renbedell | Nov 24, 2018 |
I have been finishing series left and right this week! First Nnedi Okorafor's wonderful Binti: The Night Masquerade, and now this lovely conclusion to Marie Brennan's Memoirs of Lady Trent series. I am, of course, sad to see both of these series come to a close, but not too sad. Who could be, with two such wonderful final installments?

I won't spoil anything for you, but I will say that Within the Sanctuary of Wings contains what is both the perfect climax to Lady Trent's career, while also being an entirely un-looked-for surprise (for me, at least). On top of that, Lady Trent continues to kick ass in all sorts of scientific ways, while also being entirely adorable with her husband, Suhail. The two of them are easily my favorite heterosexual couple from the my past year or so of reading; I just love nerds/academics who fall in love with each other's intelligence.

If you read all the rest of the books in this series, I don't know why you would stop now, but you should definitely go read this final book in the series. If you haven't read the rest of the books in the series... maybe you should go check them out. I can now say with authority that this series is charming from beginning to end.

This review first appeared on my blog. ( )
  VLarkinAnderson | Sep 24, 2018 |
Within the Sanctuary of Wings is the fifth and final book in the Memoirs of Lady Trent series that began with A Natural History of Dragons. I’ve enjoyed this entire series. As I’ve said in my previous reviews, the books are fairly light, with lots of adventure and fun. Although there were slow spots here and there, they held my interest consistently and felt like fast reads.

This final book started off in the same vein as the previous books, but there was a twist around the middle that really sucked me in and took my interest in the story up to another level. I was also happy with how the series wrapped up. I’m really glad I decided to fit this into my reading schedule; it made a nice change of pace from some of my recent selections.

I absolutely loved the discovery of real, live Draconians. That was the point when I finally felt like I was reading a fantasy book. I’ve said this in previous reviews, but this series never really gave me much of a fantasy vibe because the dragons were non-sentient and they took a back seat to the human characters and their adventures. In the first book I thought maybe the dragons would prove to be sentient, but it became pretty obvious I was wrong as I continued to read the series. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Sep 11, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this series. I did find the final book a bit hard to get in to, for some reason, and laid it aside for weeks while I read other things, but once I plunged it I read the rest quickly. A fitting end to Lady Trent’s adventures. ( )
  Griffin22 | Aug 29, 2018 |
Within the Sanctuary of Wings by Marie Brennan is the fifth and final volume in the Memoirs of Lady Trent series. It is a marvellous conclusion to that series and I highly recommend readers that began the series persist until its conclusion. I picked this book up as soon as I finished the fourth instalment, In the Labyrinth of Drakes, and I devoured it in a day. This review contains minor spoilers for the earlier books in the series.

What was really interesting, and clear from the beginning of this book, is that this series does not only tell the story of Isabella's life and dragon studies. It also tells the story of how the world changed over the course of her life and how she was a catalyst for a surprising amount of that change. From Isabella and friends' accidental discovery of dragon bone preservation in the first book, the world has come a long way to airships made of that substance. Not to mention the other events on the world stage that were set in motion from that discovery and the theft thereof. These events more than the elder memoirist's reminiscences of the state of the world at that time (in between the main events) highlights just how much the world — and Isabella herself, who is now 40 or so — has changed.

Within the Sanctuary of Wings starts similarly to the other books in the series, with Isabella presented with a draconic lure and planning a trip to the other side of the world. The story appears to progress along a similar template to her other adventures, this time as they travel to the not-Himalayas, but the usual progression of things is turned upside down earlier than expected. I have no intention of spoiling this book, but the discoveries made in this one are of world-shaking significance and, quite frankly, I am impressed that memoirist Isabella didn't even hint at them in the earlier books. Especially since she's writing from a future where the knowledge she has discovered has become commonplace. I applaud Brennan for resisting the urge to drop any hints earlier (or if she did, I didn't notice them until Isabella of the story did).

Overall, this was an excellent conclusion to a delightful series. I would not be surprised if I ended up rereading it in a few years and it will certainly go down as one of my favourite series. The combination of worldbuilding, the narrator's voice, and the very scientific way in which dragons were studied was the perfect combination for me. I feel like there should be a subgenre describing this kind of science-minded fantasy, but alas "science fantasy" conjures up magic in space rather than dragon scientists.

Within the Sanctuary of Wings was a brilliant read and I highly recommend it to anyone who has read the preceding books in the series. I said in my last review that these books are fairly self-contained. While that is more or less true, I definitely do not recommend reading Within the Sanctuary of Wings without having read the earlier four volumes. The marvel of it depends a lot upon knowledge of the previous books and would be significantly lessened without that buildup. Read it, but read the prequels first, starting with A Natural History of Dragons.

4.5 / 5 stars

You can read more of my reviews on my blog. ( )
  Tsana | Jul 24, 2018 |

Marie Brennanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lockwood, ToddIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Writing the final volume of one's memoirs is a very peculiar experience.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 02 Dec 2016 12:06:25 -0500)

Within the Sanctuary of Wings is the conclusion to Marie Brennan's thrilling Lady Trent Memoirs After nearly five decades (and, indeed, the same number of volumes), one might think they were well-acquainted with the Lady Isabella Trent--dragon naturalist, scandalous explorer, and perhaps as infamous for her company and feats of daring as she is famous for her discoveries and additions to the scientific field. And yet--after her initial adventure in the mountains of Vystrana, and her exploits in the depths of war-torn Eriga, to the high seas aboard The Basilisk, and then to the inhospitable deserts of Akhia--the Lady Trent has captivated hearts along with fierce minds. This concluding volume will finally reveal the truths behind her most notorious adventure--scaling the tallest peak in the world, buried behind the territory of Scirland's enemies--and what she discovered there, within the Sanctuary of Wings.… (more)

Marie Brennan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,689,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible