You Can Have a Dog When I'm Dead: Essays on…

You Can Have a Dog When I'm Dead: Essays on Life at an Angle

by Paul Benedetti

Recently added byPet12, auntmarge64

This was a lovely collection of essays covering several years in the life of Canadian journalist Paul Benedetti. He writes about "normal" family life, about raising kids, getting older and dealing with mortality, but not much about dogs. I missed a few of the Canadian references but learnt a bit more about life in Canada, which was great. Due to the short articles, the book is perfect for dipping in and out of, which was my intention, but I actually felt so engaged and entertained by this, I ended up flying through it, reading larger chunks.
Some of the essays were very funny, others made me tear up, all of them were very relatable and readable. The pieces about mortality were very touching and encouraged reflection.
Personal note to Paul Benedetti: You so need to get your wife a dog! It'd be awesome and I believe she deserves it!
I received an ARC via NetGalley. Thank you! ( )
  Pet12 | Apr 12, 2017 |
A collection of the author's columns from the Hamilton (Ontario) Spectator: life, love, families, and all their bewildering complications. Some entries are paeans to the emotional moments of family life, others are hilarious vignettes that sometimes had me crying I was laughing so hard.

While writing this series of essays, Benedetti (and his wife!) was raising and then learning to let go his 3 children, watching older family members age and pass on, and dealing with the realities of life in a middle-aged body, all with good humor and a loving eye for the foibles of those around him.

One or two essays are close variations on earlier stories and should have been edited out (how many essays can you read on the chore of buying new underwear, as funny as it can be?), but all-in-all, a delight to read. ( )
  auntmarge64 | Dec 8, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 145973811X, Paperback)

Hamilton Spectator columnist Paul Benedetti’s essays paint a wonderfully funny portrait of family life today.

Paul Benedetti has a good job, a great family, and successful neighbours — but that doesn’t stop him from using it all as grist for a series of funny, real, and touching essays about a world he can’t quite navigate.

Benedetti misses his son, who is travelling in Europe, misplaces his groceries, and forgets to pick up his daughter at school. He endures a colonoscopy, tries out a Halter Monitor, and vainly attempts to lower his Body Mass Index — all with mixed results. He loves his long-suffering wife, worries about his aging parents and his three children, who seem to spend a lot of time battling online trolls, having crushes on vampires, and littering their rooms with enough junk to start a landfill.

Benedetti is Gary Lautens run headlong into Dave Barry — an everyman with every intention of doing the right thing, just as soon as he remembers where he left his wallet.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 02 Dec 2016 22:47:18 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,986,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible