Hope's Peak by Tony Healey

Hope's Peak

by Tony Healey

This book surprised me! I picked this as my December Kindle First book, but after reading some of the reviews, was a little weary of whether this would be a waste of time or not. After letting it sit around in my Kindle for a month, I finally decided to read it, and was not disappointed. Good story (if a little short, but I already knew that when I picked it up), definitely had its moments of suspense, and I ended up liking most of the characters by the end. However, I read this as more of a thriller than a mystery, as the perpetrator is revealed quite early in the book and several scenes were written from his POV. I liked the characters we were supposed to like, and the antagonist was written in a way that made him very unlikeable (although his motives are also explained at the end).

I don't know much of the details regarding police work and what goes on behind the scenes, so I can't speak to the accuracy of what was depicted in this book.

The ending was bittersweet, but satisfying. I always like a HEA ending, but only when it fits with the rest of the story.

I did have a couple little qualms with the book, though. The writing style was easy to read, and most of the scenes were very short. Author also wrote with a lot of short sentences, and at several points in the story, I did find them to be jarring. Scene changes were very sudden, and without much of a smooth transition. And although I never had trouble telling who was who in any given scene, I wasn't sure whose POV the scene was told in.

I also felt like you never get to know the characters very much, but then again, that's hard to accomplish in a book that's of this length. I never really got a clear picture of any of our protagonists. Also thought the psychic's abilities were just a little too convenient.

All in all, I enjoyed this and would pick up book #2 in this series. ( )
  galian84 | Sep 16, 2017 |
It was a decent book but there were enough flaws to feel disappointed after the synopsis sounded so intriguing.

Basically a serial killer has been active in this small North Carolina town but only those in power know about it because they forced the police to alter details of each killing and take an oath of silence under threat of ruining their lives so no one, including the deceased’s family members, know this happening. At one point a character implies someone in this power circle knows who the murderer is and they’re being protected at the cost of innocent lives lost. However, even though the murderer is revealed in the middle of the book and a small flashback scene at the end has someone show up to tell him that he’s being protected, it’s never made explicit who the murderer was connected to, how it was known he was the one doing the killing spree, why he was being protected, etc. When the police FINALLY figure out who is doing it there’s no big recognition on their part or anyone else’s that this murderer is connected to anyone important enough to force the crimes to remain unsolved for this long. A HUGE plot hole is just left dangling.

Even though the ‘good’ detectives who found out about this swear they’re going to bust everyone into the limelight who was involved in this cover up that never happens either.

It was very irritating to get to the end and not find out why this was all let to happen unless the racist implications throughout the book are meant to be some kind of detail that this town is run by white supremacists who had no problem letting innocent black girls die. Therefore it wasn’t that the murderer was actually connected to anyone specific but more along the lines that he was doing something these people wanted done but didn’t have the ability to do it themselves.

There were also holes in how the detectives’ lives were handled. Harper was said to have left a bad marriage then a psychic had a vision of her leaving an envelope and her wedding ring before walking out of her house but no details were given to put any of her past into context. Her partner Stu was also said to have left a bad marriage, it seemed to be implied his wife left him because he couldn’t get her pregnant then suddenly out of nowhere her character is showing up angry claiming their marriage blew up because he was having an affair with his partner though they weren’t.

Of course there had to be a psychic and it was only through the psychic we could get more details of the murders because the detectives were too busy having a relationship or not having a relationship to find out anything themselves. One of the worst aspects of this ‘detective’ work was that the real files the detectives used to find the serial were apparently being kept in the basement of the police station in a locked file cabinet. Yes, the very proof that would’ve brought down an until number of politicians, businessmen, and even police captains who were involved in a multi-decade cover up of a serial had been kept for anyone to find.

There were SO MANY details not given except when it came to the rape and murder scenes, these the author went into overdrive on to ensure the reader could put themselves in the moment which makes me wonder about the author’s state of mind that he could get so explicit here but so vague through the rest of his book.
  ttsheehan | Feb 9, 2017 |

Beyond the shores of Hope's Peak, North Carolina, evil waits as his next victim approaches. He'll make her a princess like the others... Detective Jane Harper can't shake the image of the young woman discovered in a field-eyes closed, a crown of woven vines on her head. She expects macabre murders like this in her native San Francisco, not here. Jane and her partner, Stu, vow to catch the killer, but in this town, that's easier said than done. The police department is in the grips of a wide-reaching scandal that could topple the entire force, and Jane and Stu face a series of dead ends. Until they meet Ida Lane. Ida knows too well the evil that lurks in the cornfields. Tortured by her mother's murder years before, Ida is paralyzed by the fear that she could be next. As the killer grows bolder, Jane must persuade Ida to use her remarkable gifts to help in the investigation. It's a decision that brings them closer to the killer...maybe too close.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,425,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible