Somebody Like You: A Darling, VT Novel by…

Somebody Like You: A Darling, VT Novel

Rating: Five
Review:

"Somebody Like You" by Donna Alward

My Thinking....

Interesting read learning to why Laurel Stone has returned home to heal in Darling, Vermont, now divorced and determined to make a go of her business ....'The Ladybug Garden Center.' However, their is a person Laurel would love to avoid...Aiden Gallagher who just happens to be the local town cop. Now what had happen in HS between these two? Now, how this author brings these two together is really a cute story. What will happen when Laurel needs some help with some vandalism[someone sprays paint on her fence & stole the cash register] and will Aiden be willing to help her with this problem? Then what will happen when the 'town council wants tem to recreate a kiss[retake a childhood photo at five years old] from when they were children on 'The Kissing Bridge?' What was up with 'The Kissing Bridge? Well, legend holds that those who kiss there will be together forever.

Will this be the push that is needed to get these two on the same playing field? Now, what is up when Laurel's ex wants her to come to his wedding...supply the flowers and plants for their back yard? Was this guy for real? Why would Laurel ever consent to do this? What had happened that had brought this friendship to a end seventeen years ago? Why was Laurel somewhat guard against these two... Aiden and her ex-husband? What regrets does Aiden have toward the way things happened with Laurel many years ago. Will they be able to get pasted all of this and start all over again since it seem like they may have something? To get all of these answers you will have to pick up this good read.

I found the characters [Laurel, Aiden, George, Willow, Rory] to name a few were all well developed, entertaining, well portrayed, quirky, likable, real and believable giving this story one well told story with some interesting twists. I liked how this author showed the growth of the two main characters... Laurel and Aiden.

This is quite a new series: Darling, VT # 1' that will keep you turning the pages to see what will happen next as the stories get into 'passion, family, friendship and a wonderful community'
giving the reader quite a mesmerizing second chance romance. In the end will Laurel and Aiden get their HEA? Well, to find out you will have to pick up this novel and read this captivated read to see how well written this author will bring it all out.

By the end of this novel "Somebody Like You" will definitely put a smile on your face and having you looking for the next series. ( )
  arlenadean | Mar 4, 2017 |
Somebody Like You by Donna Alward
A Darling, VT Novel #1

Did I like this book? Yes
Will you like this book? I think you will IF you like:
* Second chance at love love stories that are plausible
* Characters that deserve one another and deserve their HEA
* Love stories that are more than just a love story
* To feel with the characters
* Characters that could become your friends

The author has written a believable story in a wonderful location and set the hook for books to come in the future. I have not read a book by this author in the past but look forward to reading more of her work in the future.

Laurel and Aiden were more than friends in high school but something happened that caused them to move away from one another. Laurel has recently moved back to Darlington when the story begins and her garden shop has just been vandalized. Aiden is first responder and their first encounter was not smooth. Over time they bump into each other again, share some truths and become closer. Aiden is empathetic and understands Laurel better than she may understand herself. Laurel and Aiden both have issues they have to deal with before they can find their HEA but each hurdle they overcome is believable and adds to the story. I enjoyed the side stories of George (the homeless man), the finding of the hoodlums and also the background of the kissing bridge. Willow and Ethan’s story is up next and I can hardly wait!

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for the ARC. This is my honest review.

4.5 Stars ( )
  CathyGeha | Feb 6, 2017 |
Aiden and Laurel kissed on the Darling, VT “Kissing Bridge” when they were five years old. The picture of this kiss became the town’s well-known poster for tourism. Now, years later, Laurel has returned to Darling after a difficult divorce. During this same time period, Aiden became a Darling policeman. Both meet up again when vandalism strikes Laurel’s garden store, and Aiden arrives to investigate. At first, they are leery of each other, not ready to move beyond the past. In high school, an incident where Aiden asks Laurel out on a bet by his buddies, has soured what might have been a good relationship between the two. Can they let the past go? Aiden seems more ready to than Laurel, though both have some definite obstacles from their pasts to overcome before that can happen. This book is the story of this couple and how each works to overcome the past and the “scars” it has left, while working toward a new beginning for themselves.

This is a sweet romantic story. The two main characters, Laurel and Aiden are well done and fit into the story quite naturally, as do the other town and family supporting characters. The setting is pure small town, where everyone knows everyone else’s business but where neighbors and friends stand together, united, to face any adversary that may crop up. I loved the sheer romance of the story of Aiden and Laurel, and whipped through this easy-to-read book quickly. The author has definitely begun a great series with this book, and I look forward to reading others in the series. I recommend a reader looking for a good romance to start with this one. I do not think it will disappoint. I received this from NetGalley to read and review. ( )
  KMT01 | Jan 12, 2017 |
Laurel has come home. After her divorce, she has moved home to Darling, purchased the local garden store, & started her new life. No more men ! They all lie, hurt you & let you down. They steal your dreams. Who shows up after her garden shop has been broken into & vandalized? The first man to hurt her & let her Dow, now the town cop.

Aiden Gallagher has never forgotten Laurel. It seems like he's been after her ever since their "famous" photo at the Kissing Bridge. He was always too shy to make a move. Then there was the whole fiasco with the bet & the milkshake. She's forgotten about that by now, right?

What a delightful surprise! I was nervous at the start of this book, afraid that it would turn into a man bashing book. Was I ever wrong! The characters are three dimensional & very realistic. Laurel's reactions were how I could see her reacting. She's so used to hiding her feelings & denying them while putting others & their emotions first. For a tough alpha cop, Aiden is surprisingly reticent & sensitive about his feelings. The relationship between the two of them was a joy to watch. The supporting characters are well thought out & an integral part of the story. Labels best friend, Willow, seems like she could be a flake but you see glimpses of her personality that make you realize she's deeper than you thought. The mystery of George just seems like a nice side story but becomes a integral part of the story. Totally loved this story! Donna Alward is a new to me author but I'm going to be watching for other books, especially the next in this series. ( )
  Pam50627 | Dec 22, 2016 |

Donna Alward is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,984,851 books! | Top bar: Always visible