Girl Unknown by Karen Perry

Girl Unknown

by Karen Perry

232459,532 (4)None

Academic David lives a comfortable middle-class life in Dublin, he lectures in History at UCD, his wife Caroline has recently gone back to work after brining up their children and Holly and Robbie seem content. Then one of his student walks into his office and calmly tells him that he is her father, her mother was the love of David's life and they split up when he returned to Dublin from Belfast. Zoe is slim, blonde and seemingly fragile after the death of her mother, David warms to her and seeks to integrate her into his family but Caroline and Holly are not so keen. As time goes on even David realises that there is more to Zoe than meets the eye.

On one hand I found this book deeply manipulative (just like Zoe), I felt that my emotions were being played and that this really was a psychological thriller by numbers, however on the other hand I really enjoyed just going with it. The writing is almost cliched, but not quite, and the sense of impending doom is clearly signposted but not overdone. The book is unashamedly populist and there is nothing wrong with that, in fact of its type it is an extremely superior example. ( )
  pluckedhighbrow | Jun 26, 2017 |
David and his wife Caroline live an ordinary life with their children Robbie and Holly. There family life is ripped apart by the arrival of Zoe who claims David is her father.

I really enjoyed this book. There is something about these domestic thrillers that has me hooked. This book is no different. From the beginning I am drawn into the story.

The story is told from the point of view of both David and Caroline. Both are affected differently with Zoe on the scene. In true domestic thriller fashion Zoe is perhaps not what she seems. There is plenty in this tale that kept my interest and I really wanted to see what was going to happen next. The story builds to climax with the twist. I didn't guess but could see where it was going.

What I enjoy about this type of book is that the characters are ordinary people, with ordinary lives and it just shows that married life is not always bliss. Secrets and lies in a family life.

I haven't read any books by this author before but would certainly read more. A very entertaining read about family life with a twist. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  tina1969 | Jan 8, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Karen Perry's book Girl Unknown is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,379,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible