Monstress, Issue 8 by Marjorie M. Liu

Monstress, Issue 8

by Marjorie M. Liu, Sana Takeda (Illustrator)

821,035,133 (4.42)None

If you've been keeping with this story thus far, I'm sure you've noticed the amazing artistry and world building that has already gone into it. We left off setting sail from the beautiful seaside city of Thyria.
This issue doesn't really delve into Maika's progression toward her goal as much, though they are at sea and moving toward it still. This one focuses predominantly on some character growth for Maika. She's still got the attitude that I really love so much about her, but she's also still struggling with the monster inside her.

I'm intrigued by the captain, she's the first black woman in the story and has a respected position of power. She's a great character who commands respect in the small dealings we see with her. I love Kippa and the way her character grounds Maika. She's a reminder for Maika to fight for her own humanity. The siren was an interesting touch and I'm sure we'll get more about the significance of her presence in another issue. The world of this story continues to expand and I just can't get enough of it.

Then there's the mysterious island they are all heading toward and that Maika is supposed to be kept from. We'll see how all of that goes. It wasn't looking too good for her but she's not a character that is easy to be rid of either. I can't wait to see what happens next! ( )
  Calavari | Apr 5, 2018 |
As I say with every Monstress -- the art is amazing!!! You should read these, or at least look at them, they are so pretty!

In this issues we are on the seas traveling to find out more about Maika's mother's story and what became of her and really how that translates into what has happened to Maika. Maika is still struggling with her inner demon... literally. This part of the story was more contained than others - we only follow one group of people who are all on the boat with Maika. The story is starting to pick up pace and I am interested in seeing what happens when they get to their destination.

These comics are not for the faint of heart - they are violent have have a lot of mature themes and I can only imagine that they will get more forceful as the story progresses. There are a lot of people after Maika and her magic for both good and evil reasons. ( )
  sszkutak | Feb 16, 2017 |

Marjorie M. Liuprimary authorall editionscalculated
Takeda, SanaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,531,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible