The Secrets of Supervillainy (The…

The Secrets of Supervillainy (The Supervillainy Saga) (Volume 3)

by C.T. Phipps

The Secrets of Supervillainy (The Supervillainy Saga #3) by C.T. Phipps is a book that you can love the villains and the heroes. (Mostly the villains) All of these books in this series are witty, clever, make you giggle, groan, and are excellent reading when you are in a bad mood. They will cheer you up, get your mind off reality, and you can enjoy the silliness of supervillainy! (evil laugh)
I enjoy these books and fortunately for me, the author knows I like them and sends me them to read...the review is voluntary. Although I am reading them out of order, it doesn't bother me, they are fun no matter when or how you read them! The characters are very imaginative, the plot super fun with crazy twists and turns (yes, it has a plot), and you get attached to the characters after a couple of books. They are so darn...evil! You can't help but like them. So, come to the dark side...there are giggles over here. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Mar 1, 2018 |
Note: This book really works best if you’ve read the previous two books.

Set almost 1 year after the ending of Book 2, The Games of Supervillainy, Gary returns to continue the nefarious fight as Merciless, the Supervillain without Mercy! The end of Book 2 left Gary’s wife, Mandy, in a bit of a lurch. She’s now a blood sucking soulless vampire and no one wants to hang out with her. Gary has continued his search for a way to bring back Mandy’s soul but hasn’t had any luck. At least, not until Death rears her ugly head once again and makes an offer Gary can’t refuse. Earth’s greatest hero has died and Death wants Gary to hunt down the killer. In exchange, she offers to bring one soul back from the abyss.

Of course, Gary be the single-minded, bull-headed, stubborn idiot that he is, he can’t refuse. Even as he strives to solve this case to bring back his wife’s soul, he comes to realize he has deep romantic feelings for his long-time friend and current henchwench, Cindy. To complicate matters, his ex-girlfriend Gabrielle (AKA Ultragoddess) is also on scene bringing up old feelings.

Besides Gary’s complicated love life, there’s plenty of action, snark, and pop culture references. I personally enjoyed the references to one of Phipps’s other books, Esoterrorism. Gary has plenty of friends doing their best to keep his stupidity from killing him. Cloak is always handing out advice whether you want it or not. El Diablo Man and his luchadero mask! So funny! One of the newest supervillains is the Fruitbat. Yep. Every time he was mentioned, I had to giggle. Besides Gary’s friends and coworkers, we meet his niece and his mom. His niece wants to join the family business but Gary firmly insists she’s too young for it. Meanwhile, his mom sees dead people; in fact, most of her good friends are dead.

With the help of some time travel shenanigans, things get twisted and weird – all in a good way. Honestly, it’s the humor and the costumes that keep this plot together and amusing. I was laughing throughout the book. The Supervillain/Hero names, costumes, and powers were always amusing to me even if Gary did not find them so. I also enjoyed the flashbacks, several of which explored Gary’s former relationship with Gabrielle.

Besides Gary, Cindy is my favorite character. She’s a villain to be sure, but she does have scruples and she is loyal to her friends. I love picturing her in her Red Riding outfit, a basket full of weapons. Yes, I would not want to tick Cindy off! Her wit and humor, often inappropriate, had me laughing the most. If Gary doesn’t hook up with her then I might just see if she’s free for beer.

I received a free copy of this book.

The Narration: Jeffrey Kafer makes a great Gary the Merciless once again. I also continue to like his voice for Cindy with it’s regional accent. There were a few emotional scenes in this book (like when Gary meets with his parents and such) and Kafer did a great job of portraying those emotions. ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Jan 20, 2017 |
*This audiobook was provided by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review at my request.

It's been a year since the fall of Falconcrest City, and the returning of a portion of Gary's wife who's now a vampire. Gary has searched and will do anything, almost anything, to have Mandy's soul returned to her body. Someone is calling for Gary's death, along with his hench-people, Cindy aka Little Red Riding Hood and Diabloman. Gary and Diabloman believe it's the government behind the push for their death due to the money offered along with being pardoned. Gary struggles with his growing feelings for Cindy, yet wants his wife back. With all Gary's personal struggles, Death has a new assignment for him. An important hero has died, out of his timeline. Death wants Gary to find the killer and eliminate him, in return for a favor of anything in her power.

Jeffrey returns to bring us Gary's dry humor. How can he do some of these jokes without sounding as though he's laughing? Talent. Jeffrey brings us into the conversations as he voices it all with the feel of the characters and the quick retorts with a feel as though he doesn't even think. Wow. Well done! Jeffrey is clear and easy to listen to as he goes through the story. One of the best complements I can give to a narrator is they voice the story and yet are unheard. That sounds backward but this is why, they don't draw attention from the story itself or over voice to distract. Jeffrey does this. What he's added to the story is the blend of voice and personality that adds to the story and he's not heard. Well done.

We start right in with Merciless in the midst of trouble, erm, battle. Yes battle. And it doesn't stop there. Gary seems to always be found by trouble. But with all he's done in the last year, tinkering in magics to save Mandy, Gary is weaker in his magic from Death. This does affect him and brings a consequence to light for all he's done.

I do enjoy the dry humor between Gary (Merciless) and Cloak. This story just makes me smile. It's funny how much chatting goes on in battles. And how things come out. lol. Then, the whole thing changes directions as everyone's motives and wants change with the chatter.

Oh the humor! I love all the one liners that reference so many different geeky items. I listen intently to hear and catch these. Kool Aid man was hinted at. I had to smile as it was the old commercial reference. lol. Elvis! A play of Frozen the movie! Then there's a play made that feels like something from Terminator, with the time travel. lol Twisty thinking yet so fun with Gary's responses. lol. And Star Wars debates along with references. With the time line part of story, I was waiting for the Quantum Leap reference. It came! lol. Goodness, all the old and new science fiction/fantasy references. I love them!

The interaction of the characters and how they play off each other with quick comments, just fun as the crew blends in a fun wonky way. I get a kick out of Death with Gary. She finds him amusing, but she pushes his buttons so easily. And she has the powers to keep him under some control of quick lines. Even Cindy with Gary. They are all wonderful compliments of each other.

As much as Gary has a strange, twisted view on things, there are those moments when he sounds brilliant too. lol. I love the dynamics this man goes through.

There is always an enemy to come. Gary finds he's the center of the attacks of the Dark Light group. I got a kick out of who is behind the Dark Light group after Gary aka Merciless.

I will warn you, there are times that strong language is used. The f word and a few others. But fits perfectly to the characters and the moment.

We have everything from super powers to magic, from cybernetics to alien technology. A great blend of all things science fiction and fantasy with our superheroes, erm, supervillains! Pay attention! Because when things get rocking and we start talking different universes and times, you are going to see all the twists and loops C.T. creates in Gary's plan...plans... Garys.. plural used? lol.

This book ends on a small cliffhanger. It doesn't hit me as bad as you would think though. Gary's main goal in the book is resolved. But, there is another battle to be fought, and we will be waiting for the next book with that battle. ( )
  MelHay | Jan 7, 2017 |
My original The Secrets of Supervillainy audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Gary better known as Merciless, Super Villain, has his hands full. He wants to be a super villain but still finds himself being the super hero … for all his badness, he still does ultimate good just in a roundabout way. The story talks about his struggles to rescue his wife Mandy from the soulless life of being a vampire – his love for her seems consuming until he falls for another and then voices if it’s possible they can all have a consensual and approved relationship …

The President, Mr. Omega wants to destroy all the supers – heroes and villains; death wants Ultra God’s death avenged and Gary has to deal with both. The question comes down to whether or not Gary can save the world, stop President Omega, restore his wife’s soul, solve the murder of Ultra God and still be a super villain?

Lots of action and new characters from the earlier books. And Merciless does not stop with the cliches or sardonic humor EVER.

The writing style of C.T. Phipps is unique – Merciless, aka Gary, argues to himself and with his cloak while most of the conversations are witty cliches or movie references that we his audience know but not the characters in the book who look at him like he’s lost his mind. The writing is fast as is the action and not as detailed as it could be. But the premise is awesome. How many people would think it would be this hard to be a super villain? Who would have thought that being a hero was not necessarily a choice or easy but rather a struggle of mega proportions?

Jeffrey Kafer is the narrator who skillfully performs this audiobook. His ability to be Gary is amazing. He does not get tongue-tied or bust out laughing or moaning when there are some really bad cliches. He slips into the characters easily and gives voice to them. He sounds just what one would expect Merciless to sound. He brings the “comic” like tale to life as only some can – he is one of the best skilled at this feat.

This book for anyone who enjoys sardonic humor, action, old-fashioned super heroes/villains and graphic novels

There were no issues with the audio production or quality of this book.

Audiobook was provided for review by the author. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Dec 12, 2016 |
Wait, what? Aaaaarrrghhhh! Noooohhhh! I really hope the next installment is coming soon. From the progression of the first two books, I assumed this was to be a trilogy. I've been binge-listening and just got to the end of book 3, which leaves sooo many more plot questions! Don't get me wrong, there isn't a terrible cliffhanger, just a device that will put this book on my radar for insta-buy on release day. Overall, I absolutely love this series so far. It's smart, funny, and absolutely irreverent at times. I completely love the voice actor, too. If I could have given this book ten stars, I would have, both for creativity and for execution. ( )
  LizaRobbins | Dec 4, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,335,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible