The Legion of Flame by Anthony Ryan

The Legion of Flame (2017)

by Anthony Ryan

English (4)  Dutch (1)  All languages (5)
It's a good read but a far cry from the first in the series.
The characters are carried over from the first book, which is a good thing. Hilemore is somewhat underused and there are large portions where we don't hear about him... I can say that I enjoyed his sections the least - plus the world has changed so much I wonder if he has a place in it. Anyway, the main focus is on Lizanne and Clay, with both having sections that are action-packed with threads of intrigue wrought throughout. Sirus is a nice addition, giving us much needed perspective from the other side of the main conflict.
The plot moves forward at a fair clip, definitely not plodding - but I don't think it's going to light the world on fire with its originality. It's a little disappointing actually that we're headed towards a typical fantasy 'end of the world' trope. The first book didn't really indicate that.

Right, the main problem I have with this book is Anthony's insistence that nearly every chapter ends with a cliffhanger. The trouble with this is that it's a writer's artifice. It's done to pull you forward to the next chapter. But he does it a LOT. It is very noticeable. And every time he does it - you know the character is going to pull off a miraculous recovery and escape or turn the tide. This crushes any tension you might feel about the character's situation.
It's always the same question. Oh oh, how will they survive this? Tune in next week to find out kids! Ugh.
Hope the third book picks up again. ( )
  Jawin | Aug 18, 2018 |
Well I got this on Friday or Saturday and finished it early (like 4:00am) Monday. So that kind of speaks for how much I liked it. Not perfect but pretty darn good. I need sleep now. I will write a real review on the blog and here soon. ( )
  Trevorsherman | Oct 25, 2017 |
THE LEGION OF FLAME picks up pretty much where THE WAKING FIRE left off and continues to follow Lizanne, Clay, and Hilemore. Lizanne is back home and is immediately sent on a spy/peace mission to the Corvantine Empire. Clay and Hilemore are still in Arradasia and are voyaging to the South Pole in an attempt to figure out how to save the world from the increasingly more likely dragon apocalypse. We also have some new PoV characters that provide more insight into the White dragon's plans, I won't say more about them to avoid spoilers.

I always find it hard to review sequels since (usually) pretty much everything about the first book applies to the sequel as well and I wouldn't be reading the book at all if I hadn't liked the first book. THE LEGION OF FLAME definitely expands the world, we see Mandinor and more of the Corvantine Empire (we do still have some insight into what's happening in Arradasia though the new viewpoints). We learn more about dragons, their origins, and the history of the world, which I thought was pretty cool. I had some guesses about that and I was glad to see them vindicated.

My favorite plotline in the book was probably Lizanne's, her mission has a very Escape from New York vibe to it and it's fun to see her badassery grow. Clay and Hilemore get the more interesting worldbuilding though, and I liked that each of the viewpoints told a different kind of story. There are also some in-universe newspaper articles, etc. at various points, and I always enjoy those.

Overall, I thought THE LEGION OF FLAME was a solid sequel. However it does end on a cliffhanger, so I'm impatiently waiting for book 3. ( )
  kgodey | Jul 30, 2017 |
Pros: excellent world-building, great characters, well paced, exciting

Cons: cliffhanger ending

Refugees flock to Feros, where Lizanne Lethridge, aka Miss Blood, is given the first of a new and even more dangerous series of missions to perform in the Corvantine Empire. Clay has convinced Hillmore to sail South, hoping to find something that will help them defeat the white dragon. Meanwhile, the white is gathering its army of spoiled, training them to overrun the world.

This book starts off with little reminder of the events of The Waking Fire, so it’s worth rereading it. One of the characters thought dead returns as a point of view character, giving insight into the actions of the white dragon’s army.

The world-building continues to be excellent. You learn more about various governments and see how the drakes interact from a different point of view from the first book. Clay’s mission provides a lot of questions, which I’m hoping will be answered in the next book.

There are two appendices, one for dramatis personae, which is helpful as several names are similar and the cast is large, and a second with the rules for the card game Pastazch.

Lizanne is probably my favourite character, making difficult decisions and still being influenced more by her emotions than a good operative should. I was surprised by where her choices lead her. Clay seems to grow as the book progresses, which I appreciated. I was disappointed that Tekela wasn’t in this book much, considering how she’d grown in the previous book. I was hoping to see more of her development. Loriabeth gets a good amount of page time, which was nice. Her skills have improved a lot and she’s a solid supporting character.

The pacing was wonderful, with a lot of action and cliffhanger chapter endings, propelling you through the book at a rapid pace. There’s little wrap up here, with the final chapters leaving several characters in difficult positions. This is only a negative in that since the next book isn’t out yet, I can’t immediately find out what happens to them.

I’m really looking forward to book 3. ( )
  Strider66 | Jun 27, 2017 |
Voor Robin, Norman en Nick,
omdat we ooit samen de goede strijd zijn aangegaan.
De welgestelde familie Dauwemeine rouwt vandaag, na het tragische overlijden van haar meest gevierde dochter: de ooit zo beeldschone en charmante Cathelijne, vijfentwintig jaar oud.

"For centuries, the vast Ironship Trading Syndicate relied on drake blood--and the extraordinary powers it confers to those known as the Blood-blessed--to fuel and protect its empire. But now a fearsome power has arise--a drake so mighty that the world will tremble before it. Rogue Blood-blessed Claydon Torcreek, Syndicate agent Lizanne Lethridge, and ironship captain Corrick Hilemore embark upon perilous quests to chase down clues that offer faint hopes of salvation. As the world burns around them, and the fires of revolution are ignited, these few are the last hope for the empire and for all of civilization"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,827,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible