The Promise of Things by Ruth Quibell

The Promise of Things

by Ruth Quibell

611,268,033 (3.5)None

This book is a wonderful antidote to the minimalist movement and Marie Kondo. Whilst it doesn't dismiss either, it invites us to contemplate our belongings, and before we casually throw them out to make space, or hold onto them without question. On the surface, a memoir, however, 'The Promise of Things' is often times a challenging read as it explores philosophy, psychology, history about the meaning we place on 'our things', and widely uses artists, writers and academics either as subjects, or references. At the time of reading, I wasn't sure how much I'd actually absorbed because it is at times dense - however when I reviewed the chapters, which are like individual essays, I was surprised at how much I realised, learned and retained. I found much to relate to, but especially found the final chapter, 'the empty drawer' incredibly moving. ( )
  tandah | Aug 26, 2017 |

Some of our strongest, most lasting relationships are hidden in plain view-those we have with objects. What do our possessions do for us? And how do they do it? In The Promise of Things, Ruth Quibell explores what our possessions say about us- who we think we are, what we long for and struggle against. It invites us to think about how we use things, what makes them precious, and why we find it so hard to throw these objects away.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 11 Dec 2016 05:46:12 -0500)

Some of our strongest, most lasting relationships are hidden in plain view - those we have with objects. What do our possessions do for us? And how do they do it? Ruth Quibell explores what our possessions say about us: who we think we are, what we long for and struggle against. It invites us to think about how we use things, what makes them precious, and why we find it so hard to throw these objects away.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,862,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible