Wolfskin by Juliet Marillier

Wolfskin (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Juliet Marillier

Member:wolflib7
Title:Wolfskin
Authors:Juliet Marillier
Info:Tor Books (2003), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 496 pages

Wolfskin by Juliet Marillier (2002)

A wonderful story with great characters. A wonderful blend of Norse mythology and the story of friendship that is stronger than blood.
  AdriaFaye | Jul 18, 2013 |
Sat down and finished this off in one gulp, three hundred pages in one go, this evening. That seems to be the best way for me to read Marillier's work: I remember doing the same with her other books to finish them, and enjoying them much more at that break-neck pace. Wolfskin is sort of more in my line of work, you might say, since it involves Norse settlement of the Orkney islands: the Norse culture was familiar to me, if not always entirely in step with what I know, and I think Marillier toed the line pretty well.

I don't actually know what I think of the book as a whole. On the one hand, I definitely enjoyed it, and I was intrigued when the fairytale aspect came in -- very late in the story, so that I'd suspected that this wasn't a fairytale retelling at all -- but the pace is difficult and the characters... Eyvind is, of necessity, lacking in self-knowledge, lacking in understanding of his own capabilities, and Somerled is barely likeable -- Marillier does do well in showing the man he could be, in some moments, but from very early on it's obvious where it's all going. Nessa is more fun, though there's something so horribly clichéd about the princess-priestess whose children will carry on the royal line; it's so often a feature of books about Guinevere and so on, which is perhaps why it bothers me, and it's so often badly done.

Still, overall I quite enjoyed this story of cultures meeting, of two worlds finding a way to join without wholly destroying one another. I'm looking forward to reading Foxmask. I'm back to being ambivalent about Marillier, after adoring Heart's Blood when I read that, but there's plenty to enjoy even so. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
SAGA OF THE LIGHT ISLES
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
I absolutely adore Marillier's work, but this particular book didn't spark my interest. I can't really pinpoint why I didn't like it, except that I didn't care much for the characters. If you're a devote Marillier fan, you should probably give this one a try despite my own lackluster response, However, readers new to this author should try her 'Sevenwaters' series, instead. ( )
  TheBooknerd | Jul 3, 2010 |
To
Elly and Simon,
who set me on the path to Orkney.
Winter bites hard in Rogaland.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765345900, Mass Market Paperback)

All young Eyvind ever wanted was to become a great Viking warrior--a Wolfskin--and carry honor out in the name of his fathergod Thor. He can think of no future more glorious. The chance to make it happen is his when his chieftain Ulf is brought the tale of a magical land across the sea, a place where men with courage could go to conquer a land and bring glory to themselves. They set out to find this fabled land, and discover a windswept and barren place, but one filled with unexpected beauty and hidden treasures... and a people who are willing to share their bounty.

Ulf's new settlement begins in harmony with the natives of the isles led by the gentle king Engus. And Eyvind finds a treasure of his own in the young Nessa, niece of the King, seer and princess. His life will change forever as she claims his heart for her own.

But someone has come along to this new land who is not what he seems. Somerled, a strange and lonely boy that Eyvind befriended long ago has a secret--and his own plans for the future. The blood oath that they swore in childhood binds them in lifelong loyalty, and Somerled is calling in the debt of honor. What he asks of Eyvind might just doom him to kill the only thing that Evyind has ever truly loved.

Will the price of honor create the destruction of all that Eyvind holds dear?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:20 -0400)

Longing to become a Wolfskin warrior in the service of the god Thor, young Eyving sets out with his older brother to a fabled land, where he finds the seer Nessa and is bound by a childhood oath to kill the only thing he has ever loved.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,241,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible