Zip* by Roxsane Tiernan
113,689,591 (1)None
Recently added byTheCelticSelkie

*** This was a book from a GoodReads giveaway. ***

This book is horrible in so many ways. I have never had so much trouble getting though a book that should have been an easy read. It is difficult to believe it was written by a teacher.
I do not even know where to begin, so I will just start with the first thing I did not like about it. The author wrote in the third person, which would have been fine if they had not started almost every sentence with "Zip this..." and "Zip that..."
Yes, "Zip" is the name of the book, but for someone to refer to themselves in the third person by name so many times made for very bad reading (I could not help but to compare it to the "The Jimmy" episode of Seinfeld). I can only presume she did that in able for her name change toward the end of the book to seem like it had a larger impact on the reader.

The structure of the telling is disjointed. Not only chapters, but within the same paragraphs. One sentence will be telling of one thing, then the next sentence something totally different and unrelated.

In the epilogue, the author lists three people that were to proofread and one editor. Yet none of these people caught repeated paragraphs within a few pages of each other (at least twice in the book or discrepancies.
I.E: On page 146, she refers to her ex-husband, George, being killed on the job and that "George had married Jesse in mid December. Now she would be a widow". but on the following page [147] it states "after George married Josie the old will was considered null and void". Then again on page 148: "Yvette and Nancy both were handy with tools so they wanted George's tools. In the end they got some but the bulk went to Josie's son. The girls sent a list to Jesse and her lawyer requesting the dining room suite, a carved Mexican suitcase, and George's pay stubs which he had kept from the first pay cheque he ever got. Josie sold the dining room suite to a neighbor, gave the suitcase to the Thrift store, but gave Yvette the pay stubs. It took a long time to sort things out.
[new paragraph] Josie finally released Nancy's belongings..."
In the next paragraph the second wife is again referred to as "Josie", which is the last we hear about Josie/Jessie/whatever-her-name was.
I understand changing names in books to protect the innocent, but if a name is going to be changed choose one and stick with it!

Most of the poetry is nice, even if it is amateurish, hence the one-star rating. ( )
  TheCelticSelkie | Dec 17, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 150359081X, Paperback)

There will always be secrets. There have always been secrets. Sometimes the secrets are there because our knowing minds just don’t want to remember. Sometimes we don’t want to go there –period. Some of my life has been like that but I have been blessed with an amazing memory from age two and a half forward with very rare gaps. I constantly hear “I wish I had your memory.” Would life be easier if I didn’t remember? Maybe but it wouldn’t come near the rich to overflowing life I’ve had.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 05 Dec 2016 18:31:36 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,142,581 books! | Top bar: Always visible