We Are the Weather Makers: The History of…

We Are the Weather Makers: The History of Climate Change (edition 2010)

by Tim Flannery, Sally M. Walker (Adapter)

Member:amyandroland
Title:We Are the Weather Makers: The History of Climate Change
Authors:Tim Flannery
Other authors:Sally M. Walker (Adapter)
Info:Candlewick (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Wishlist

We Are the Weather Makers: The History of Climate Change by Tim Flannery

This book is part scientific explanation of climate change and part warning about its effects. The author is a scientist (a paleontologist) and passionate advocate of climate action. The book is aimed at non-scientists. It summarises climate science rather than trying to explain it from first principles.

A lot of the book is taken up with warnings of what might happen if the accumulation of CO2 and other greenhouse gases (yes it does list them) is unchecked. Unlike the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change this book does not pull any punches when it comes to describing the worst possible predicted effects of runaway climate change on species, cities, water supplies and life itself.

The last, smaller parts of the book detail progress on international climate change agreements and possible ways forward, as of 2005 when the book was written. These sections have necessarily dated, although the science and the risk of climate change have not. At that time, only the Kyoto Protocol existed and Flannery points out its various inadequacies as a mechanism for preventing dangerous climate change, not least the political games played by Australia and other countries to undermine it.

The book ends (with a chapter entitled 'Over To You') on a hopeful note by noting the technologies exist for individuals to make a difference to global warming in a way that has not been possible for other forms of global pollution, and that collectively it *is* possible to reduce our use of fossil fuel energy and carbon dioxide. And we need to, urgently! ( )
  questbird | Mar 22, 2017 |
Adaptation of The Weather Makers for young readers with assistance from Sally Walker. Interesting and informative but terribly dense content. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Reviewed by Angela S. for TeensReadToo.com

WE ARE THE WEATHER MAKERS is a great book for pre-teens and teens to learn about our climate and how it is changing.

Starting out with how the carbon cycle works and how to learn to offset your carbon footprint, to sustainable energy sources such as the sun and wind power - this book covers it all.

If you want to teach your children to be responsible and help fix our ailing planet, then this book is for you.

Filled with a lot of information and examples of ways that other kids have helped make a change, it is a great tool for either the classroom or at home. ( )
  GeniusJen | Nov 12, 2009 |

Tim Flanneryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Walker, Sally M.Adaptermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
"We are the Weather Makers" is a revised edition of "The Weather Makers", not simply a retitling. Please do not combine them unless you are familiar with both versions and know the revisions to be minor.

"In this passionate book Tim Flannery writes about cyclones and droughts, about coral reefs and polar bears, about wind energy and nuclear power. Her reminds us that climate connects us all, from the Arctic to the Outback. We influence our climate by how we use our fuels, our water and our land - now we are the weather makers." --Cover.… (more)

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763636568, 0763646563

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,575,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible