The Piper by Charles Todd

The Piper is a short story that features Hamish MacLeod before he was killed in WW1. It's a bit sad reading this story with the knowledge about what will happen to him in the war. As this story only have 100 pages is hard to review the story without giving much away. Basically, it's a murder mystery story where everyone is a suspect including Hamish, and it's up to Hamish to figure out who killed the young piper that he stumbled over near the edge of the loch.

I have a read a couple of books in the Ian Rutledge series, but I've more of a Bess Crawford fan (Charles Todd's other series), but still I enjoy reading the Ian Rutledge books since they are engaging and well-written and I enjoyed reading The Piper since it gives the reader an insight into a character that otherwise is just a figment of Ian Rutledge's imagination. This book made me eager to read more books from the Ian Rutledge series.

Read this review and others on A Bookaholic Swede ( )
  MaraBlaise | Nov 2, 2017 |

Read this review and others on A Bookaholic Swede ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
Charles Todd writes two marvelous historical mystery series. The first features Ian Rutledge of Scotland Yard, a brilliant and intuitive detective haunted by the ghost of World War I. The other features Bess Crawford, a World War I nurse and amateur sleuth. This short story, The Piper, features Ian Rutledge's ghost, Hamish MacLeod, before the war.

On a cold, rainy night, Hamish hears a distant cry down by the loch. He heads out into then night and finds a young piper, attacked and left for dead. He takes him home and does his best to dress his wound and warm him up, but when Hamish wakes in the morning, the young man has left. Hamish is concerned he won't have the strength to make it to town and looks for him. Sadly, he died on the road, of cold and his wound, and the police are investigation and Hamish is a suspect.

So, first things first, I miss Hamish. As the series has progresses and Rutledge gets farther from the war, Hamish is not as present as he used to be. It was lovely to have a story with Hamish as the hero. Todd is always good at creating a sense of place and you can feel the bitter, chill wind and rain and the looming menace in the shadows outside Hamish' home.

This is a short story, an e-book you can download for less than a dollar. If you have never read Charles Todd's work, you will get a taste of it and a preview of his coming new release Racing the Devil. I must confess, I did not read the preview because I can't stand waiting once I read something. I want to read it now! I have read his series from the very first book, I don't need a preview to know it will be good.

I received an e-galley of The Piper from the publisher through Edelweiss.

https://tonstantweaderreviews.wordpress.com/2017/01/28/the-piper-by-charles-todd/ ( )
  Tonstant.Weader | Jan 28, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,384,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible