Strange Magic: An Essex Witches Mystery by…

Strange Magic: An Essex Witches Mystery

by Syd Moore

When Rosie Strange's grandfather dies, she inherits the Essex Witch Museum. As she decides what exactly she is going to do with it, Rosie and the museum's curator, Sam Stone, are approached by a professor who has an odd request - to discover the whereabouts of the remains of a convicted witch from the 16thC, the bones of whom will help with the exorcism of a young boy who has been possessed. It's a tale loosely inspired by Ursula Kemp, a woman who was executed for witchcraft in 1582.

It took me a little while to get into the story as I didn't really take to the style of writing. It's told in a spoof-like way, somewhat 'tongue-in-cheek', which was at odds with the subject matter. Nonetheless, as I persevered I found that I was thoroughly enjoying the mystery and it ended up being quite a page turner! It's fast paced and very intriguing. It's a race against time type of plot. I loved all the little bits of interesting information, too. I did find Rosie a little irritating, though, and the 'will they, won't they' scenario between her and Sam grated. However, I got used to the banter between them by the end of the book.

A weirdly fun read which, after a rocky start, I had great trouble putting down! I look forward to reading the next book in the series, Strange Sight.

Reviewed for TBC on Facebook. ( )
1 vote VanessaCW | Aug 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is based on the true story of a woman who was accused of being a witch is Essex, England, and who was subsequently put to death. The story is set in modern day, where Rosie Strange has just inherited her grandfather's witch museum. She gets involved in a bizarre plot to find the dead witch's skeleton in order to save a child from possession by the witch's son. The story follows Rosie and her new companion, a man who worked with her grandfather, as they travel from place to place, chasing the skeleton, and battling supernatural forces. The story is interesting, and the characters are well-drawn and likable. But, the book just seems to be too long. The author writes good descriptions, but there is too much of that--it seems like everything, bushes, fields, restaurants, incidental characters, etc. are described in minute detail. I started skipping through some of that to just get on with the story. I enjoyed the story and the main characters, but the pace was very slow in parts, and some of the chase for the skeleton seemed too contrived. The book would have been better with a leaner story that moved a bit more quickly. Other than that, it was a good book, and I did enjoy reading it overall. ( )
  drsyko | Apr 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Strange Magic is a fictional mystery centered around the true story of Ursula Kemp, who was hanged for "witchcraft" in 1582. Rosie Strange inherits a witch museum from her grandfather and immediately embarks on a witch-hunt (har, har) for Ursula's bones.
This was a fun story that kept me turning pages until the end. I enjoyed the feminist theory sprinkled throughout and the magical moments. I look forward to the next in the series. ( )
  PaperbackPirate | Mar 28, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed the book. It was a compelling story that kept me reading. I agree that the front of the book was a little long, and the actual action was too short. However I strongly disagree with those that found the protagonist unlikable. She wasn't perfect by any means, but seemed very believable as an imperfect woman who can't seem to get out of her own way. I would read other books by this author. ( )
  momweaver | Mar 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
the book kept me wanting to continue reading and had a nice flow to it. there were twist and turns in the book that keep you guessing and i lie the fact that it is loosely based on truth. i am looking forward to the second book in the series and to see where the main characters go. ( )
  cbloky | Mar 8, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Syd Moore's book Strange Magic is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,007,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible