The Year of Needy Girls by Patricia A. Smith

The Year of Needy Girls

by Patricia A. Smith

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Mystery upon mystery upon mystery. Who killed Leo Rivera? Do the police have the right suspect? Will S.J. and Deidre stay together? Will Deidre's position at Brandywine be threatened? Is it possible to be openly gay/lesbian in a working class community? The Year of Needy Girls poses all these questions and takes a good while to answer them. Still, an enjoyable read, if at times fraught as the reader follows S.J. and Deidre as community events pull them in different directions. ( )
  mtbearded1 | Apr 11, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Received this book as part of the Early Reviewer program. The premise is good, but there is little connection with the characters. The characters worry a little too much. The mother who begins the witch hunt is stereotypical. The ending is a little too obvious. ( )
  joeinma | Apr 5, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was definitely a book that held my interest. I was engrossed in the story and thought it was a twist on a situation we've heard about--teacher and student involvement. There was also a lot of overlay with the murder in the background and the fact that neither protagonist was really sure what they wanted in life. Overall, a good book and I would recommend reading it. ( )
  chutzpanit | Mar 28, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an advanced reader copy through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers Group in exchange for my honest review.

When reading the synopsis of the book, I was expecting a bit more. I would chalk up my disinterest to the fact that I mostly read fantasy however, I have had contemporary romances sneak up on me. By the time I was halfway through the book I found I was still disinterested in the characters. This is also a shorter read for me, so I feel they could have spent a bit more time creating a fuller story. I feel for a thriller this was a slow read.

I feel like this book had so much potential and truly missed the mark. There were so many possibilities to explore with such a diverse setting between upper-class and lower-class, race, and the LGBT relationship it included.

As this wasn't the worst book I have read i will still give it two stars. ( )
  MissCassieReads86 | Mar 28, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Disclosure: I received a free copy of this book through LibraryThing Early Reviewers in exchange for my honest review of it.

Based on the blurbs and descriptions on the covers of the book, I expected a fast-paced, unputdownable thriller with a richly-portrayed LGBT couple at its center. But, oh, what a letdown. What I got was a boring, slog of a read with half-dimensional characters and a meandering, disconnected plot, which I had to force myself to finish. The characters weren't interesting, so I could never get invested in what was happening to them or around them. At times, the book felt almost melodramatic in its portrayal of both the protagonists and antagonists. The plot that wandered around the central characters was weak, exasperating, and uninteresting. There was potential for a truly engaging look at the facets of relationships between women, romantic or otherwise, and their boundaries, as well as the race and class relations. But, the opportunity was wasted here. I enjoyed Patricia Smith's prose, but this novel just didn't have the story or the characters to match. I am always looking for novels with LGBT characters at their center, so I will keep an eye out for future novels by Smith, but this one didn't live up to the marketing hype. ( )
1 vote SaraNoH | Mar 13, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Patricia A. Smith's book The Year of Needy Girls is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible