I Like, I Don't Like by Anna Baccelliere

I Like, I Don't Like

by Anna Baccelliere

*Thanks to Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

It's amazing how such a simple picture book, that's easy for children to understand, can really pack a punch. The pictures and sentences do an excellent job of showing inequality. Children will understand how different other children's lives can be and what makes them different. This is a great story for elementary children. 5***** ( )
  Mischenko | Nov 30, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Interesting book detailing the difference in the way Third World children live and the Industrial world. The book shows how children perceive different ideas about work and play. Brings into account the fact that some children are forced to work at slave wages. -- One loves flowers, but the other child hates them because he has to sell them in the street or a child loves phones while on the other side of the world, the child hates the phone. He has to take it apart and salvage all of the parts worth money. Good discussion concerning the inequality that is faced around the world. (Received as a review copy) ( )
  Pat2011 | Nov 7, 2017 |
the story "I like, I don't like" is a very short book where each page turn one child likes something like rice, and has an illustration to go with it. Then their is another kid who doesn't like rice with a contradicting illustration.

This book would be good to use in the classroom in order to show diverse backgrounds and how different people have different experiences with things. there may be things you enjoy that others dislike for very reasonable... reasons. The book also shows very subtly the issue of child labor. ( )
  hmlasnick | Oct 24, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While I understand the important message behind this book, I think the message would be way over kids' heads. The text is very simple, so each page would need an extensive conversation about the comparison between the pages. The illustrations were beautiful, but I would like to see more information within the story to help explain the message to children. ( )
  ktbailin | Oct 3, 2017 |
This book teaches a lesson about poverty and child labor. Children from more affluent circumstances are shown on one side of the double-page spreads, claiming they “like” objects that are fun and/or luxurious, while on the other side, the children who have to make and/or labor over those objects say they don’t like them.

Some examples include a kid playing with lego bricks on one side, and a kid having to cart piles of bricks on his head on the other. There are happy kids eating rice juxtaposed with kids having to plant and pick the rice. A kid on one side claims “I like playing” while on the other, a kid asks, “What is playing?”

The illustrators Alessandro Lecis and Alessandra Panzeri, who work together as “Ale + Ale,” carry the weight of the story with mixed-media illustrations.

Evaluation: This book will encourage children to look at the world from someone else’s point of view - perhaps more important now than ever, and to feel gratitude for what they have. I think it definitely would benefit to have an adult reading along with the child to explain how kids who live in impoverished countries and even in poverty in wealthier countries have limited choices and opportunities.

The author explains in her Afterword:

“More than 16 million children in the United States - 22% of all U.S. children - live below the poverty line, and many children throughout the world must work to help their families.”

Lastly, she also provides information on “How Can I Help” regarding opportunities to fight poverty both at home and abroad. ( )
  nbmars | May 13, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080285480X, Hardcover)

An eye-opening introduction to an important issue

The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child states that every child in the world has the right to play. Unfortunately, that universal right is not always respected. I Like, I Don't Like presents this reality to readers by showing how children in varying circumstances can see the same object very differently.

With stark illustrations that perfectly capture the tone of the book, I Like, I Don't Like will inspire meaningful discussions about privilege and poverty.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 06 Dec 2016 23:04:01 -0500)

Kids Issues. Picture book. The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child states that every child in the world has the right to play. Unfortunately, that universal right is not always respected. I Like, I Don't Like presents this reality to readers by showing how children in varying circumstances can see the same object very differently.5 yrs+… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Anna Baccelliere's book I Like, I Don't Like is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,607,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible