From Moon to Joshua (The Sands of…

From Moon to Joshua (The Sands of Deliverance Book 1)

by Matthew Moffitt

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Mixing sci-fi with western, 'From Moon to Joshua' is a gritty adventure tale with themes of redemption, choice and the nature of human evil. The action mostly takes place in the Desert Land, where criminals and other unwanted members of society are deposited to make a new life for themselves, if they can, in a harsh, violent, dog-eat-dog environment. The hero/antihero is that staple of the classic western, the man with the tormented and mysterious past, but the world he inhabits is one where powerful technologies rule and pervasive supernatural dark forces are threatening, and a soldier from the rich ruling world finds herself forced to confront the dark side of her society.

The story is told in the first person, from the viewpoint of multiple characters. It's a bold choice and while, at its best, it does draw you deeper into the character's world and gives you an up close and personal feel for the many visceral, blow-by-blow fight scenes, there are also drawbacks. There are times when the abrupt change of viewpoint, sometimes in the middle of an action sequence, feels disjointed and disorientating. Two main narrative voices would have worked fine for me, but there are also some characters who take over the story only for the odd chapter, giving the impression they're only there to allow a particular scene or incident to be narrated.

The action is fast-moving and graphic, though at times I thought the prose was bordering on the melodramatic and could have done with some editing to remove a number of errors. The recurring theme of the choices we make and whether redemption is possible are rather hammered home by repetition, rather than being allowed to make their own way through the narrative. The blend of science and supernatural in the story is odd: it's hard to tell where the science stops and the as-yet unexplained sinister forces take over. However, overall it's an entertaining enough read, and it was good to see a variety of strong female characters with their own agendas, something which is by no means a given in action fiction. This is the first in a series, ending on a cliffhanger, and I'll be interested to see where the author takes us next.
  Askapart | Mar 17, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Oh how I rail at EDGE SF and Fantasy Publishing for releasing half-edited books upon the reviewing world. Yes I am reading an ARC and yes ARC have faults, but most ARC are at least at a near-final stage where most of the glaring errors have been removed.

"From Moon to Joshua" is an exciting, if derivative (ref film Priest, Heinlein's Coventry, Elric, Robinson Crusoe) concept novel that should be easy to gobble up. If, that is, the textual errors were not so thick on the page as to make one choke. Mr. Moffit has a substantial problem with misplaced modifiers and his beta readers and EDGE editors don't seem to catch them. I have no idea if the final copyedit brings the text up to an acceptable level, and so, based just on the narrative flow, I can't tell you whether to buy or avoid this book.

However, I have some other grumbles that are not related to grammar, among them way too many POV, an implausible barter economy, an implausible sword, technically implausible footprints, and finally, the introduction of zombies into what had been a non-supernatural story. That's it. I stopped there.

I received a review copy of "From Moon to Joshua" by Matthew Moffit (Edge) through Librarything.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Mar 8, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Absolutely loved this book. The story idea was fresh and new. The characters were believable and loveable. From the first word, I simply couldn't put it down. I enjoyed it immensely - until I came to the ending. The ending let this book down. The main character in this book was Dryaden. The romance aspect was leading somewhere with him and Rosalina. Then ........ I won't give out the ending. But unless the author can undo the ending, I won't read on in this series. The ending spoilt the book for me. It made the book go flat, whereas before I was excited. The different viewpoints can be a bit staggering as well. Maybe some kind of warning at the beginning of each chapter when a viewpoint is changed would be good. I was intending to give this book five stars - but because of the ending - only three. ( )
  somethingblanc | Mar 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Disclaimer: I was given this Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) book for free as part of the Library Thing Early Reviewer (LTER) program for an honest review.

This story was a great read. I found the storyline, specifically the world Desert Land, to be unique something I have never seen before and intrigued by the laws of Toreth and how they treat their criminals. I thought the Western Dystopia world was fascinating, even with the savagery and horrors that go on e.g. in the opening chapter when the train arrives with the new criminals (and their families) and what the cloak factions do when they disembark. I really liked the main character, Drayaden, including his horse Sandstorm as well as the side characters Malcolm, Anya, Ressin, Nicholai, Rosalina and Cal. I enjoyed how each chapter focused on a particular character and what was happening to them and how that impacted and/or intertwined with the other characters. The drip feeding of information concerning the characters history helped build the suspense of who they are and had me wondering where that piece of information may take the story and what the character(s) may do. In addition, I found as the story progressed it became more action packed and often I found myself saying 'just one more chapter' because each chapter left the story in such a way that you wanted to know what was going to happen next. I loved how the story ended and because I enjoyed this ARC copy so much I have now purchased the final version of the book that was released and I can't wait for the next book in the series. ( )
  FiLoMa | Mar 6, 2017 |

FiLoMa | Mar 6, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

From Moon to Joshua by moffittmatthew is available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,277,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible