From Moon to Joshua by Matthew Moffitt

From Moon to Joshua

by Matthew Moffitt

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this first book in the new THE SANDS OF DELIVERANCE series. It's so enjoyable I am no hanging out for the second book -- which hasn't been published yet! The writing is excellent. It took me a while to adjust to each chapter being written in the first person of a different character but, after awhile, it felt quite natural -- even if I had to look at the chapter heading occasionally to remind myself who was talking! The plot is great and difficult to predict. It's original and I love the merging of western, dystopian world, fantasy, and action. Come on, Matthew, when's the next one coming?! ( )
1 vote spbooks | May 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Similar feel to "The Gunslinger" by Stephen King. I'm not a huge fan of this genre but found this to be a very enjoyable read. The writing flowed well and it quickly became difficult to put down. The author could do much with the world that was created. The only disappointment was I really was curious to learn Dray's background more. There were many hints but never really explained. ( )
  PSturgill | May 9, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The city of Toreth sends its criminals, and their families, to the Desertland. All sent to the lawless wasteland are forced to survive or perish on arrival. Cowboy, Drayaden Sinclaire is a dangerous mystery on his own; is he chasing redemption? Asked by a wife to find her husband and son Drayaden uncovers an unearthly paradox.

I enjoyed the book; the Wild West meets Sci-Fi. The book splits into different view points which is cool but could be tiresome. The fight scenes, full of action, get confusing as viewpoints switch. On that note not everyone deserved a chapter. I didn't Malcolm's slang was unnecessary and didn't suit his character well. I'm still not sure how I feel about the supernatural aspect of things; it was all a bit odd. I have lots of questions about Drayaden, Toreth, Anya and the supernatural factor but I'm assuming that's all for the next installment. Interesting enough to read book two. ( )
  rebel_duck | Apr 19, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have mixed feelings about "From Moon to Joshua". The beginning is reminiscent of Stephen King's "The Gunslinger" mixing the western and science fiction genres as opposed to King's mixing westerns with fantasy. As I worked through the story I found elements intriguing enough to keep me going but other elements annoying enough to consider giving up.

I liked Moffitt's use of description but as one reviewer pointed out some of the descriptions contradicted the action in the scenes they were leading into. Also the use of dialect rang false with characters like Malcolm to the point of distraction. Still the story is interesting and became worth slogging through the annoying parts. Hopefully the final published edition gets cleaned up enough to take some of the distractions out. ( )
  twolfe360 | Apr 16, 2017 |
An interesting sci-fi/western world with plenty of action. ( )
  thessaly | Apr 11, 2017 |
“We all have debts to pay and oaths we have broken.
This is for my wife, who I would be lost without; for Michael, who helped me put pen to paper; for my mother, who made me the man I am today; and for God, who I thank for everything.

“Within yourself deliverance must be searched for,
because each man makes his own prison.”
— Edwin Arnold”
“Again?” Malcolm asked, rolling his eyes and lighting a cigarette.
“My name is Drayaden Sinclaire and I live by three rules: I kill when I need to — never before. My word is my oath. And I never draw my sword.”
“My name is Anya Claire Ragnarock, and I am a sworn officer of the Esper airship”
“I refused to believe someone this innocent looking could have committed a crime. Then again, I’ve learned that some of the prettiest cast the most hideous of shadows.”

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Matthew Moffitt's book From Moon to Joshua is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,047,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible