The Otherness Factor: Book 2 (Sic Transit…

The Otherness Factor: Book 2 (Sic Transit Terra)

by Arlene F. Marks

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Otherness Factor is more Science Fantasy than science fiction. There's no hard core explanations of the science involved. In fact it seems more about the power of the mind. I haven't read the first book. This book can stand firmly on its own without reading the first. At first it seems a bit disjointed as all the principle characters are introduced. After that it makes more sense. It takes some interesting views of humanity and how it adjusts to differences. I'm just glad the first Dedrick we meat is not the main character, because he had few redeeming qualities. ( )
  Antares1 | Mar 25, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I felt that this cover art rather trivialised the story, as parts of it are quite well written and it contains a number of interesting concepts. The book reads at a fairly fast pace and although some elements are more developed than others it does produce a satisfying tale. I personally found the uncertainties and 'missing' details to be a strength since in reality there are always uncertainties. To have complete 'explanations' or detailed description would also trivialise. We are better knowing that a race reminds humans of earth's big cats than having a detailed anatomy. If information is unknown to all the protagonists it is better that it is also unknown to the reader, unless it is a plot requirement that the reader is guided by an omnipotent and omnipresent narrator. ( )
  mta.greenwood | Mar 24, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
There's no substance to this book. Granted, I haven't read the first book in the series, so I don't know how much is set up previously. Regardless, sequels should in someway touch on the previous book in such a way that even if you hadn't ready it, everything made sense. And that just doesn't come through in this book. ( )
  Music09 | Mar 19, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book through the Librarything early reviewers for an honest review.
Being the second book in the series I was not sure what to expect but the story held its own. A very interesting story that could easily have been quite a bit longer to fill in some parts that I think needed a bit more background. This follows the lives of the Diedrick family and brother/sister of the Minegar family primarily. The Diedricks are human and Minegar family are from another race called Kularian's. The big picture is how these families fates are connected to save all races from a purely scientific and apparently diabolical race called Thryggians. The story is very interestingly written as a combination historical entries, military orders and then the story behind and around them. I enjoyed the story and recommend it. I just wish there was a bit more behind some of the interpersonal interactions. ( )
  scmerritt | Mar 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While this may be science fiction set in the 24th century, it's a story where our future is still riddled with many of the same issues since the beginning of time with a little sci-fi thrown in.
3 generations of the Dedrick family affect the the story from beginning to the end. The bad blood between members of the1st generation applicable, wounds & scars the 2nd, forming two cousins that couldn't be more different, Abner (at 1st glance seems heroic but becomes the type of character you love to hate) who unknowingly launches a deadly plague throughout the galaxy, and Gael (you don't get to know very well but obviously set up to be a good guy) a member of the military servicing the galaxy. But the 3rd generation, formed by the birth of Lania, brings "new blood" that with the help of an alien, Ixbeth Minegar, may finally heal this family.
Ixbeth, a Kularian, is on a quest to fulfill a prophecy that she & her people dearly need to come to fruition. Her 1st step on the quest requires passage on a human ship placing her as the Kularian to have 1st contact with humans. While reaching out to help Lania, a seemingly human child, she discovers Lania may be the help she needs to fulfill her quest.
At the end of the book I found I was left with unanswered questions, not wanting to cause a spoiler alert I won't specify, but it seems they wouldn't have required much to answer. I enjoy many genres of books and did enjoy this one but I'm afraid the true Sci-Fi fan may find it lacking in that area. I'm not sure what age group this was intended for but I think teens would love it and a quick easy read for adults. ( )
  mtchrista | Mar 17, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Otherness Factor by Arlene F. Marks was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,277,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible