The Otherness Factor: Book 2 (Sic Transit…

The Otherness Factor: Book 2 (Sic Transit Terra)

by Arlene F. Marks

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book from librarything early reviewers in exchange for an honest review. I haven't read the first book in the series. I still enjoyed reading this book very much. It was a very interesting storyline and easy to read. I would like to read the first book now. ( )
  Katey.McKinney | Mar 28, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Otherness Factor is more Science Fantasy than science fiction. There's no hard core explanations of the science involved. In fact it seems more about the power of the mind. I haven't read the first book. This book can stand firmly on its own without reading the first. At first it seems a bit disjointed as all the principle characters are introduced. After that it makes more sense. It takes some interesting views of humanity and how it adjusts to differences. I'm just glad the first Dedrick we meat is not the main character, because he had few redeeming qualities. ( )
  Antares1 | Mar 25, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I felt that this cover art rather trivialised the story, as parts of it are quite well written and it contains a number of interesting concepts. The book reads at a fairly fast pace and although some elements are more developed than others it does produce a satisfying tale. I personally found the uncertainties and 'missing' details to be a strength since in reality there are always uncertainties. To have complete 'explanations' or detailed description would also trivialise. We are better knowing that a race reminds humans of earth's big cats than having a detailed anatomy. If information is unknown to all the protagonists it is better that it is also unknown to the reader, unless it is a plot requirement that the reader is guided by an omnipotent and omnipresent narrator. ( )
  mta.greenwood | Mar 24, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
There's no substance to this book. Granted, I haven't read the first book in the series, so I don't know how much is set up previously. Regardless, sequels should in someway touch on the previous book in such a way that even if you hadn't ready it, everything made sense. And that just doesn't come through in this book. ( )
  Music09 | Mar 19, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book through the Librarything early reviewers for an honest review.
Being the second book in the series I was not sure what to expect but the story held its own. A very interesting story that could easily have been quite a bit longer to fill in some parts that I think needed a bit more background. This follows the lives of the Diedrick family and brother/sister of the Minegar family primarily. The Diedricks are human and Minegar family are from another race called Kularian's. The big picture is how these families fates are connected to save all races from a purely scientific and apparently diabolical race called Thryggians. The story is very interestingly written as a combination historical entries, military orders and then the story behind and around them. I enjoyed the story and recommend it. I just wish there was a bit more behind some of the interpersonal interactions. ( )
  scmerritt | Mar 18, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Otherness Factor by Arlene F. Marks was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,789,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible