The Immortals' War by Leah R. Cutter

The Immortals' War

by Leah R. Cutter

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is not one of Leah Cutter's better offerings to me. The story felt more contrived than other works of her's I have read and I just could not get into the conflict presented here. I also could not connect with characters whom willingly constrained themselves by traditions even after extraordinary circumstances showed them how worthless those traditions were. However, the story was engaging enough to warrant finishing the read. ( )
  Gkarlives | Jul 9, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed reading The Immortals' War. I liked how details of the magical world were slowly revealed leading the reader want to know more. And by the end of the book, the reader didn't know everything, but either did the main character Tong Yi. Descriptions are generous, I was clearly able to imagine the environment, people and motorbikes. Interesting way for the main character to win the battle but I will say no more! I also enjoyed reading a book that was set in a different culture. ( )
  TinaC1 | May 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I quite enjoyed this one.

The mythology fused with modern day Taiwan was well thought out.
I really appreciated the comparison between the internal and external struggle that goes on between your inner good and inner evil.

All in all, a very interesting read. ( )
  daleala | Apr 13, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love urban fantasy and requested this book because it doesn't take place in North America and want to see more fantasy fiction that centres non-Western experiences.

There were lots of interesting places, creatures, and magic, and some really cool ideas. I really enjoyed the motorcycles and the journey of learning taken by the protagonist.

I found a lot of the dialogue to be canned, and the female characters very flat and set up as reward for the male protagonist. It got rather grating. I'm very tired of stories with conveniently beautiful, available women, all interested in the protagonist. Meh. ( )
  wosret | Apr 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The synopses sounded exciting but the book didn't quite deliver. I found it hard to empathise with the hero (or any of the other characters) in the story. It's like a person you meet in real life that's very guarded. That's how I kind of felt about Tong Yi. It was very hard to get emotionally involved with him. It's possible that this was some sort of accurate representation of a rigid, emotionally guarded, cultural representation, I have no idea, but it didn't do it for me. The plot metaphorically lounged in an easy chair off to the side somewhere, lethargically waving every now and again as opposed to rolling down an hill slowly gathering momentum. This is the first book of Leah's I have read and she is more than likely a fine writer but I wouldn't recommend starting into her works with The Immortals War. I did struggle to finish the book, even when I was almost at the end which is not a good sign for me. In short, readable but unrewarding. Sorry Leah

Disclaimer. I received a free ebook copy of this story in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  fannb | Apr 4, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Leah R. Cutter's book The Immortals' War was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Leah R. Cutter is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,468,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible