A Perfect Day by Lane Smith

A Perfect Day

by Lane Smith

2017 (6) animals (12) bear (3) bears (6) change (1) chickadees (1) child (1) children (1) children's (1) day (1) days (1) dogs (1) Emphasis (1) fiction (1) food (3) happiness (1) humor (2) humorous stories (1) juvenile (1) narrative (1) O (1) perspective (1) picture book (11) point of view (4) Pre-K (1) spring (4) storytime (3) to-read (1) verbs (1) Woodland Animals (1)

This would be a fun story to share with young children when talking about thinking of others and being considerate of others-always a topic of conversation in elementary classrooms!
  jschuttenhelm | Oct 13, 2017 |
fun story!!!! ( )
  melodyreads | Jul 8, 2017 |
I admit that I'm not part of the Lane Smith fan club. I find his books generally too complex for children - I generally think they're aimed more at adults - and I don't care for his angular, minimal art style. But I keep picking them up because he does elicit interesting responses from people and I keep looking at them to see if something springs up that catches my interest.

In this book, something sprung. It's a perfect day for Cat, who is enjoying the flower bed. It's a perfect day for Dog, enjoying the pool. It's a perfect day for Chickadee on the bird feeder and for Squirrel, who has her own cob of corn.

Then Bear shows up and the day isn't so perfect anymore - except for Bear!

Smith's artwork, which I've often found bland in the past, mixes pastel colors and thick brushstrokes to create an adorably fluffy cat, a colorful flower bed, and all the other creatures who populate the story. The mixture of collage and paint capture the eye and expand the simple text into a simply delightful clash of colors and textures for readers to enjoy.

This deceptively simple story will catch readers on a number of levels. The repeated phrases, building up to a climax and then rolling back down to the humorous conclusion, make this a great story for toddler or preschool storytime. Older readers will enjoy the subtle change in perspective and the humor of the unexpected conclusion.

Verdict: This will make a great addition to storytime and your library picture book collection. Recommended.

ISBN: 9781626725362; Published 2017 by Roaring Brook Press; Borrowed from another library in my consortium
  JeanLittleLibrary | May 7, 2017 |
A PERFECT DAY by Lane Smith explores a perfect day for creatures living in Bert’s backyard.

A cat, a dog, a chickadee, and a squirrel are all having a perfect day until an unexpected visitor appears in Bert’s backyard. The unexpected ending will leave children smiling.

Librarians will find this book to be an effective read-aloud story. Use this adorable picture book to discuss the power of perspective with young children.

To learn more about the author/illustrator, go to http://www.lanesmithbooks.com/.

Published by Roaring Brook Press, an imprint of Macmillan on February 14, 2017. ARC courtesy of the publisher. ( )
  eduscapes | Feb 19, 2017 |

"A perfect day means different things to different animals in Bert's backyard"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,589,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible