Ring of Fire by Brad Taylor

Ring of Fire

by Brad Taylor

What if it was not Bin Laden and his recruits who attacked the USA on 9/11? What if it was an unknown Saudi rich dude who remains anonymous but plans several major attacks on the 5th anniversary? His son is kept busy trying to please Daddy with his boots on the ground henchmen. Who better that Pike Logan and his team to thwart the evil plots? This is as up to date as you can get with current news and is a rapid fire read. My thanks to the author and the Penguin First to Read program for a complimentary copy ( )
  musichick52 | May 27, 2017 |
In order to win a contract, a desperate contractor uses a shell company to bribe a Saudi businessman. He receives the contract and, over the years, becomes a powerful defense contractor. But his underhanded dealings are about to be revealed when files dubbed the Panama Papers are released to the public.
To keep his misdeeds from becoming public in the exposé, he devises a plan to destroy the data. But the Taskforce may be vulnerable to the leak as well; Pike and Jennifer, on damage control, are out to destroy the data as well.

But neither group knows the Saudi has funded terrorists around the world using the shell company . . . and his plans include a spectacular attack on the anniversary of September 11th. Will Pike and Jennifer be able to stop the data breach, protect the Taskforce, and derail the attack?

As always, the suspense ramps up to nearly non-stop action; woven into a twisty, mesmerizing plot designed to keep readers guessing until the final reveal. Exciting, credible, and intriguing, this tale, will grab the reader from the first page. With its intriguing theme, its well-drawn characters, and its relevance, readers will find much to appreciate in this realistic tale.

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Feb 5, 2017 |
Okay, I am not the target audience for this book. This book (the eleventh featuring ex-special forces operator Pike Logan) centers around a terrorist cell looking to use the 15th anniversary of 9/11 to launch a massive strike against he United States. Pike Logan and his extra-governmental task force are the only ones who can stop him.

I made it about 100 pages in. While I’ve enjoyed thrillers in the style of the Dirk Pitt books by Clive Cussler (am I dating myself?) or the Joe Ledger books by Jonathan Maberry, those series have a decent amount of escapism built in. I certainly don’t consider reading about the next 9/11 to be fun.

Add in a healthy dose of casual sexism, subpar banter, and slightly cardboardy characters, and I felt it better to leave it lie. Now, if you typically like military thrillers, this book might be more I your wheelhouse. If you’ve liked the previous books in the series, you will probably like this one. Unfortunately, Ring of Fire just wasn’t for me.

A free copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Ring of Fire will be available for purchase on January 17th, 2017. ( )
  irregularreader | Jan 11, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,017,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible