The Runaway Midwife: A Novel by Patricia…

The Runaway Midwife: A Novel

by Patricia Harman

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Clara Perry is a nurse midwife who runs away from her life, her profession, her identity, her husband, and even her daughter. Fleeing to an island on the Canadian side of Lake Erie, she becomes Sara Livingston, at first isolating herself in a rented cottage, and hiding, lest her illegal entry into Canada, as well as the criminal charges awaiting her in the U.S, become known. Though she first avoids contact with anyone, she gradually begins to meet other island residents, and to become friends with some. Sara’s compassion for others leads her to begin to use her nursing skills, and also to eventually become involved in the islander’s inner fight over development that might lead to more jobs and greater economic security for the islands population, versus those who want to preserve the islands’ environment, and it’s status as a bird sanctuary, and thus encouraging a tourist industry. Sara herself has joined the legions of bird watcher’s here, and each chapter ends with a description of a new bird she has spotted.
This was an easy and enjoyable read. I won my early reviewers copy from LibraryThing. ( )
  jhoaglin | Apr 30, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an ARC of The Runaway Midwife in return for an honest review. Thank you library thing for the opportunity to read this book.Let me start by saying this is the third midwife book I have read.With that being said its my least favorite one. I found it to be slower than the other two.There were great events a death, a birth, an accident, sexual tension but some how it didn't pull me in. Over all I liked the characters and the plot line,I didn't care for the bird descriptions. I look forward to the next midwife book. Thank you Patricia Harman for putting your experience into great books. ( )
  WKinsey | Apr 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An ARC was provided in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence my thoughts in any way.
The Runaway Midwife is about Clara, who after suffering through a series of tragic losses, decides to abandon the life she knows and flees to Canada. I thought the story was interesting and although I didn’t feel an emotional connection to Clara until I was more than half way done, I enjoyed her adventures. This was one of those books that when you finish it you just feel good. I also enjoyed that at the end of a chapter there was a description of local birds. Charming! ( )
  belladonna624 | Apr 15, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the third 'midwife' novel I've read by this author. I had high hopes for it since I loved her previous 2 books but this one winds up being my least favorite of hers. Midwife Clara/Sara runs away from home after a string of bad things happen to her. I never really bought into the reasons she ran away - all her problems,while legitimate, were ultimately solvable. Clara/Sara creates a new identity and runs away to a tiny island in Canada and slowly meets and creates relationships with its inhabitants. I felt like I'd read this story before, about the woman who runs away with nothing, and makes lots of new friends and a new life. There are issues and obstacles along the way, but all the reasons Clara/Sara ran away for are improbably solved in a hard to believe manner. This was an okay read for me, not ultimately that satisfying. I'd love to read more historical fiction from this author more in line with what she's written previously. ( )
  tara35 | Mar 31, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this as an early reviewers copy and really enjoyed it. I plan to read more books by Patricia Harman. ( )
  amylynnd | Mar 30, 2017 |

From the USA Today bestselling author of the Hope River series comes a new contemporary midwife novel.

Say “goodbye” to your old life, and “hello” to the life you’ve been waiting for…

Midwife Clara Perry is accustomed to comforting her pregnant patients…calming fathers-to-be as they anxiously await the birth of their children…ensuring the babies she delivers come safely into the world.

But when Clara’s life takes a nosedive, she realizes she hasn’t been tending to her own needs and does something drastic: she runs away and starts over again in a place where no one knows her or the mess she’s left behind in West Virginia. Heading to Sea Gull Island—a tiny, remote Canadian island—Clara is ready for anything. Well, almost. She left her passport back home, and the only way she can enter Canada is by hitching a ride on a snowmobile and illegally crossing the border.

Deciding to reinvent herself, Clara takes a new identity—Sara Livingston, a writer seeking solitude. But there’s no avoiding the outside world. The residents are friendly, and draw “Sara” into their lives and confidences. She volunteers at the local medical clinic, using her midwifery skills, and forms a tentative relationship with a local police officer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 09 Jan 2017 19:34:38 -0500)

"Midwife Clara Perry is accustomed to comforting her pregnant patients, calming fathers-to-be as they anxiously await the birth of their children, and ensuring the babies she delivers come safely into the world. But when Clara's life takes a nosedive, she realizes she hasn't been tending to her own needs and does something drastic: she runs away and starts over again in a place where no one knows her or the mess she's left behind in West Virginia. Heading to Sea Gull Island--a tiny, remote Canadian island--Clara is ready for anything...She left her passport back home, and the only way she can enter Canada is by hitching a ride on a snowmobile and illegally crossing the border. Deciding to reinvent herself, Clara takes a new identity--Sara Livingston, a writer seeking solitude. But there's no avoiding the outside world. The residents are friendly, and draw "Sara" into their lives and confidences. She volunteers at the local medical clinic, using her midwifery skills, and forms a tentative relationship with a local police officer. But what will happen if she lets down her guard and reveals the real reason why she left her old life? One lesson soon becomes clear: no matter how far you run, you can never really hide from your past."--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Patricia Harman's book The Runaway Midwife is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,739,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible