The Heirs by Susan Rieger

The Heirs

by Susan Rieger

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
IThe Falkes family seemed to have it all:wealth, five successful sons and a certain status in New York society. When the patriarch of the family dies, the well constructed picture of the perfect family rapidly fades The disintegration of the family begins when a hidden secret is revealed. This revelation divides the family into two camps: those who agree with the matriarchs decision and those who don't. The story is told from different characters perspectives which enhance the story. This is an nor tainting and well written read ( )
  cdyankeefan | Mar 29, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book from Library Thing's early reviewer program. I really enjoyed it - a family drama centered around the Falkes family, a wealthy New York family with five boys and how they cope after their father's early death from cancer. Told from alternating perspectives, but not in a choppy way, this book was written in an entertaining style. A great family drama, character study and just all around great read. ( )
  psychomamma | Mar 26, 2017 |
When Rupert Falkes, wealthy New York lawyer, dies, it leaves his family a bit at loose ends. His five sons- all middle aged men successful in their own fields- define themselves very strongly by their family relationships. Widow Eleanor reacts with calmness and proceeds to redecorate their home, which further upsets the boys- they take it as seeing every trace of their father vanish. Everyone is dealing with their loss, though, until yet another upsetting thing occurs: a woman contacts the estate, saying she has two sons by Rupert, and that they deserve a cut of the money- of which there is plenty. Suddenly, Rupert becomes a man they never really knew. Worse, Eleanor reacts calmly, which makes the boys think she knew about the other family all along and didn’t tell them. Rupert is beyond their reach, so they aim their anger at their mother.

The story twines between characters and through time, taking us through the lives and loves of not just Rupert and Eleanor, but of their sons, too. While Rupert and Eleanor seemed to their sons, to glide through life without a slip, there was a lot they never saw going on. All their lives turn out to be much more complex and, well, screwed up, than appears on the surface. These are people of old Eastern seaboard money (well, Rupert is not, having come to America as an orphan from England) and while money is not worried about, appearances are.

None of these people are totally bad (well, maybe the woman who says her sons are Rupert’s), so it was easy to read about them. Even the ones who did wretched things have good sides. I came to really like Eleanor, the calm center of the novel and of the family. The writing I found lovely; I could not put this novel down as something new was always turning up. In the end, we do not ever get the answer we (and the boys) want- but that’s okay. The journey itself is what’s important. ( )
  lauriebrown54 | Mar 25, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was an easy and interesting book to read...but unlike most books I tend to read. The father, Rupert, dies leaving a widow and 5 sons. The story deals with each of them as they learn new things about their father - things that happened before he married their mother and during the marriage. They all react a little differently and have to find their way again. I thought the characters were well-written and the story interesting. But there had better be a sequel...just saying... ( )
  PDianeB | Mar 12, 2017 |
4.5 stars

I loved this book. The Heirs is beautifully written, and the story unfolds bit by bit through alternating perspectives from a number of the main characters. Rupert Falkes is the patriarch of a wealthy Manhattan family. He dies leaving his wife, Eleanor, and five grown sons. Following his death, an unknown woman makes a claim on the estate claiming she had two sons with Rupert. This new information throws the family into turmoil. As The Heirs progresses, the reader learns more about each of the characters, and numerous secrets emerge.

This is not usually my favorite type of read – I am not a fan of too much dysfunction and like all of the details to be wrapped up when the book ends. The Heir has some dysfunction (not over-the-top which was nice), and there are numerous issues that are not resolved. However, I truly loved reading it and had a hard time putting it down to take care of everyday life. Rieger’s prose is lyrical, and I did not want the book to end.

I highly recommend this novel. Thanks to Crown and LibraryThing for the chance to read this ARC in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  cburnett5 | Mar 12, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

The Heirs by Susan Rieger is available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,306,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible