The Heirs by Susan Rieger

The Heirs

by Susan Rieger

Loved it. It is perfectly described as "a tale out of Edith Wharton for the twenty-first century". A NYC patriarch dies, leaving behind 5 sons, a widow and maybe 2 more sons. Each chapter focuses on the point of view of a member of the family; their preconceptions of the way things were; and the reality of the here and now. I found it hard to put down. ( )
  bogopea | Jul 22, 2017 |
The Heirs by Susan Reiger
Source: Netgalley
My Rating: 5/5 stars
My Review:

For the Falkes family, loyalty is a part of their very fabric. From the day each of the five Falkes boys came into the world, his family has had his back, guided his choices, and been there through both the successes and the failures. With their parents’ unconditional love and support and a picture-perfect marriage as their role model, each of the boys is supremely confident and successful. In fact, down to a man, each credits his success to his tight-knit family. When Rupert, the Faulkes’ family patriarch dies, the family does as they always have, they come together, support one another, and help each other through the grief. Just as their lives were getting back to normal, the lawsuit which will damn-near tear their family apart, is filed.

According to the lawsuit, there are actually seven Falkes boys and the mother of those two extra boys is looking for a payout, or what she believes her sons are due. When the original five Falkes boys are made aware of the lawsuit, each is justifiably shaken. They learned their sense of loyalty, of faithfulness, from their father so to be confronted by living, breathing proof of his betrayal is more than most of them can reasonably cope with. The only one of the remaining family seemingly unaffected by the lawsuit is Eleanor, their mother. In fact, Eleanor is surprisingly calm about the whole affair and is the one who helps set her boys (and their respective partners) back to rights.

The response to their father’s apparent betrayal is different for each of the Falkes boys and sets into motion events which have life altering consequences. There are affairs (ironically!), the separation of long-time couples, and trips down memory lane that are both happy and bittersweet. The boys turn to and turn on one another as they attempt to make sense of their parent’s life together. What they all thought they knew turns out to be patently incorrect and absolutely accurate as we see when Eleanor takes her own trips down memory lane.

The Bottom Line: I’m not sure anything I type here will adequately convey the breadth and the depth of this book. This isn’t a simple read, but a saga, a retelling of a family’s history following the death of their patriarch. Though each of the boys are grown, the secrets that come to light following their beloved father’s death rock them all to their very core. Each Falkes son must make sense of a lifetime of new information, process it, and make it a part of his new reality. In doing so, each son stumbles, makes stupid mistakes, says very hurtful things, and must ultimately make amends once acceptance and understanding have set in. The Heirs isn’t at all about the inheritance of money, but the inheritance of lies and betrayal, of a once close-knit family dealing with the fallout of that betrayal and finding their way back to one another. This book captivated me and though I had to make a list of the boys in order to keep them all straight, I found the read to be engrossing. Eleanor is perhaps the best of the bunch and it is her recollections and musings that help her boys through the worst of the pain and anger. It is her strong will, strength of character, and love that carries everyone through the darkest moments and helps them to see, though everything has changed, nothing has really changed. ( )
  arthistorychick | Jul 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Unfortunately, this novel fell short for me. I had a hard time connecting with the characters and it reminded me a bit of The Nest. The similarity made it difficult to engage in the book as well. ( )
  kelseymorgan88 | Jul 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Honestly, this had to have been the dullest first chapter I've encountered in a long time. When it didn't improve in chapter two I gave up after 70 pages. I didn't want to know these people.

I received a free copy of the book from the publisher, but I wound up listening to the audiobook borrowed from the library. Perhaps that was one of my problems. Although many of the characters were male there was a female narrator who had no facility for doing male voices. It was painful. ( )
  fhudnell | Jul 7, 2017 |
Rating: Five
Review:

"The Heirs" by Susan Rieger

My Thoughts....

What a story that tell of the well to do family [the heirs of Rupert Falkes] and oh my what is found out after this patriarch passes. I thought this novel was well written with such a incredible character development that will certainly keep your attention to the end. I liked how this author tell of the wife Eleanor who was Rupert's wife and their five sons [ Will, Sam, Tom, Jack and Harry] who were Princeton educated and so successful and all the grands are girls. What happens when a letter arrives with a women saying that she had two sons by Rupert and wanted them to share in the inheritance? As Rupert's past is questioned and his secrets surface that simply smears his families reputation what will happen? How will the family members treat this information? In the end as the mystery comes out was there any truth to any of this?

The author gives the reader quite a good read of family and the lives it touches as it goes through 'marriage, parenthood, fidelity, infidelity, Eleanor's past, even giving the reader some incredible dry wit' along with some surprises. In the end the reader gets a good page turner read of a wonderful saga that is even juicy, entertaining, somewhat humorous times.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review. So exciting! ( )
  arlenadean | Jun 29, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Susan Rieger's book The Heirs is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,175,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible