The Heirs by Susan Rieger

The Heirs

by Susan Rieger

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book has a good concept, and I really liked the story it was trying to tell, but I had a problem with the world building. I was always confused about what time frame I was reading in. Sometimes it would be the past, but it would feel like it was the present, and vice versa. I also felt that the titles of the chapters didn't always line up with who the chapter was about.

Overall I really liked the story and what happened to The Heirs and their mother - it was just a little hard to follow at times. ( )
  Maggie.Chavarria | May 26, 2017 |
** spoiler alert ** An interesting and entertaining story about the family of Rupert Falkes. He and his wife, Eleanor, together with their five sons are very interesting characters. The book is humorous at times and very insightful. I found myself really absorbed into their lives.

I just knew that the "heirs" that came about after Rupert's death stating that they were related were not actually telling the truth. There was no way that Rupert would ever cheat on Eleanor. This mystery made for some very interesting reading.

A book that I am glad that I requested and was approved by Crown Publishing. Thank you to them and also Net Galley who provided me with the free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review. ( )
  debkrenzer | May 23, 2017 |
**I received this advanced reader copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

Rupert Falkes passes away from cancer, leaving his wife and five sons to cope. This novel explores how his heirs come to terms with his passing and the secrets he left behind for them to discover. The character development was enjoyable – Rieger focuses on a few of the heirs and describes their trials and tribulations. By the end, I felt I knew these characters very well.

The writing style became a drawback for me at times. Each chapter’s title is the name of one of the characters in the novel. However, there are times in that chapter that other characters’ back story is introduced. I became confused at times when a flashback began/ended and when the modern part of the story began/ended. It seemed slightly disjointed and distracting to me, and I could not always connect these pieces together with the main theme from the chapter.

Overall, I found I wanted to keep reading, to see how the characters coped, especially with the unveiling of a pretty big secret of Rupert’s during the course of the narrative. ( )
1 vote librarybelle | May 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed this book about a family and the aftermath of their father/husband's death. I definitely felt most connected to the story of the mother, I felt the story of the sons was a little glossed over and that she was the most complex character that we got to know the most about. ( )
  chutzpanit | May 12, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Rupert Falkes--his assumed name--was abandoned as an infant in England. Raised (and named) by the Rev Falkes, he does live in an orphanage before heading off to boys' schools and then Cambridge. With no pedigree, he feels he can never really make it in England, and he heads to NY.

Decades later, upon his death, his widow and 5 sons learn that he wasn't quite who they thought. As does the reader. The nice, kind, funny father was a bit more--sneaky and clever, a good liar who learned to survive in the boys' schools with no money or name to protect him.

And as they navigate their own lives after his death, the sons and widow discover they are not quite who they thought themselves and each other either.

No a fast read, a little confusing sometimes and never actually exciting, this book nevertheless turned out to be the one thing (of many) that held my interest in the midst of a horrible reading slump. ( )
  Dreesie | May 2, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Susan Rieger's book The Heirs is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,439,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible