Cthulhu Armageddon by C.T. Phipps

Cthulhu Armageddon

by C.T. Phipps

651,268,033 (4.4)None

Cthulhu Armageddon (Cthulhu Armageddon #1) by C.T. Phipps is an awesome fantasy/with a touch of sci-fi. There is plenty of action, adventure, suspense, magic, creatures, a great plot, well developed characters, and intrigue. It was a wild ride and it was a strange mix of desert, western, and more. I thought of Scorpion King only Western and in the future, after an Earth destruction. It was unique and suspense filled, action packed, and you never knew what was going to happen. I can picture this as a movie! I really enjoyed this book, it was never boring! I was given this book to read and the review was voluntary. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Jun 18, 2017 |
The Old ones rose more than 100 years ago and humanity dwindled and fractured in their struggle to survive. John Henry is a highly trained ranger for one of the last ‘civilized’ cities. However, he lost his friends and his sanity (temporarily) while battling a one-time friend who had gone over to worshiping the Old Ones. Now he seeks vengeance for his dead friends and his own lost future.

This was a wonderful mix of wild weird west, post-apocalyptic, and creature feature. John Booth is an intense man and it was great to live this story through his character. Also, just a side note, it’s refreshing to have the main hero be non-Caucasian. Hooray for diversity in SFF! OK, so back to John. The story starts off with him and his small group of rangers heading out to find several children who had been kidnapped by Cthulhu-monster worshipers. Things go very, very wrong. John wakes up while being interrogated with his memory all fuzzy. Yeah, that sucks.

John goes on a quest of sorts to find out if all his ranger buddies are dead and to regain his lost memories. Specifically, he’s hunting for Jessica who was the last ranger standing with him before everything went blank. He needs the help of a skilled torturer, Mercury, if he’s going to be successful. John gets a few brief moments with his estranged wife Martha throughout the story. Then there is also an ex-lover of sorts that he and Mercury come upon later in the story. I really enjoyed the main female characters – they were so diverse and written so well. However, nearly all the ladies in this story had some sort of sexual/romantic interest or tie to John. I felt that was a little silly, but it was a very minor part of the story so I won’t let it detract from my enjoyment of the tale.

The Old Ones were gooey and deadly and scary and awe-inspiring. Phipps did a great job with these creatures from the beyond. There’s your typical squidhead Cthulhu-looking monsters, horrible bat-winged flyers, and things that defy description but the characters have to describe anyway. I want to see these things but not feel their wrath, so it’s a good thing I have John’s story to enjoy.

There’s plenty of action scenes but they are spaced out well with scenes that touch on dark humor or on deeper things. It’s not just humans versus the Old Ones but also human versus human all too often. There’s slavery and bigotry and government assigned marriages. Phipps has the start of a whole world to explore here. I especially liked Richard the ghoul. He brought in humor but also fed on corpses. No one’s perfect.

The story kept me guessing right up to the end. I really didn’t know if John would persevere. After all, the title does have the word ‘armageddon’ in it. I was definitely attached to John and several of the other characters so I really did care how things turned out. I was very satisfied with the ending and I am hoping Phipps gives us another story set in this world.

I received a free copy of this book.

The Narration: Jeffrey Kafer did a great job with this book, as I expected he would. He’s got the right voice for the main character, John. I also like his female voices, especially for Mercury in this book. She doesn’t have an ounce of tact and asks such personal questions so straightforwardly. He’s great at imbuing the characters with emotion as well. ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Dec 21, 2016 |
*This audiobook was provided by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review, at my request.

Captain John Henry Booth wakes after a run-in with a Cthulhu occult where he lost his squad to find Mercury's presence. Mercury is the councils person to execute guilty parties, or find information. However, Mercury needs John's help to find what passes as civilization in the Wastelands as New Arkham and the Remnant is not longer safe for her to stay and be a part of. Booth agrees for guns, ammo, and a jeep to avenge the death of his squad members.

Jeffery Kafer has returned to the microphone for C.T. in this new novel. He voices John Booth in a way that feels as though he's John. But I didn't feel as much in the additional characters from Jeffery. For me it felt good but just shy of more.

C.T.'s description is catching from the get go. The description of the Black Cathedral is something. The building feels old and almost alive, maybe something from the underworld. I like it!

Slowly we start to see that the world is now occupied with the great Old Ones once again. We see the land as it was destroyed, desert and strange, with deadly creatures that exist and roaming freely. There is a magic present in people they call 'touched'. And we get to see a few that are Touched.

The world feels Post Apocalyptic in the way the land has fallen and man has grouped, and even with the new residents of the world. John Booth is like the American cowboy on a mission through the book.

This book is good, but it didn't seem to hold my attention like C.T.'s other novels I've listened to. I think because I'm not 100% sure what to expect in the world here. We know there are Old Ones but not much more than that. That there are different beings or creatures that now live on the earth too. All are not known to me, but it's known to John Booth. It's not that we are seeing them for the first time with John but as we've seen them time and time again, but they are unfamiliar to me. Although, this is an attraction for many people. Not knowing what's coming around the next bend is something to keep them on their toes, and Captain John Booth could be your person with his adventure.

There was a section where we go back to learn with John Booth as to what happened to him in the block of time he doesn't remember. I really like how C.T. smoothly brought us to the current moment. This transition felt extremely well done and thought out. ( )
  MelHay | Dec 11, 2016 |
If the old gods ever appeared to destroy humanity, I'd want John Booth at my side. He's got that lovable bad-boy appeal, like Han Solo. This was a world where I'd never want to live, but really enjoyed visiting through someone else's eyes. Kafer again did an awesome job with the narration, providing both believable and not distracting voices. Sometimes that's a tough row to hoe. Bravo! ( )
  LizaRobbins | Dec 6, 2016 |
My original Cthulhu Armageddon audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

The world (earth) is different now that the Old Ones have resurfaced and reduced cities, nations and humans to near extinction. Life is different and 100 years later, things are only worse as the monstrous Old Ones have risen and turned loose giant monsters that roam freely the now expansive desert like world and where magic is the only way to survive.

John Henry Booth is in the military – a ranger charged with the destruction of the monsters and aliens along with saving humans. Then he encounters an old friend/mentor – Ward who has become a deadly and magical foe seeking to collect children for his latest experiments.

His team comes under deadly fire; lives are lost and suddenly Booth is persona non-gratis. Along with another criminal ex-government sanctioned torturer, Booth sets about discovering answers and making Ward pay for his crimes.

Booth discovers more than he bargained for and loses much more!

Action packed post-apocalyptic horror book that keeps one on the edge of their chair! The twists and surprise ending will keep your head spinning!

The dialog is realistic and well done; the character development is solid as well. C.T. Phipps does an excellent job of creating imagery to describe what is going on keeping it realistic – such as the relationships and issues are real life but fit easily into the plot. Phipps does a good job of crafting his story beginning to end.

My only issue lies with how the story is described as a post-apocalypse western; I saw it more as a military type post-apocalypse story.

This is my first time listening to one of Phipps books and I know it will NOT be my last!

Jeffrey Kafer, narrator does an excellent job of telling the story and putting life into the characters via his skillful reading. He was John Henry Booth – or at least what I think he would sound like. His voice was gravelly and deep, just as it should be for the type of book and characters involved.

There were no issues with production; everything was clear and well done.

Audiobook was provided for review by the author. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Oct 31, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,423,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible