For Time and All Eternities (A Linda…

For Time and All Eternities (A Linda Wallheim Mystery)

by Mette Ivie Harrison

Amazon Vine (1) ARC (1) author-female (1) F2017 (1) FF (1) fiction (1) IMCPL (1) IMCPL2017 (1) Mormon (1) Mormonism (1) mystery (3) Red (1) series (1)

Polygamy was my excuse for reading this too. I feel for Harrison - she is clearly trying to work some stuff out about her faith. I'm not sure a mystery is the best place to do it. And suburban SLC is beginning to look like Cabot Cove! ( )
  laurenbufferd | Feb 20, 2017 |
Mette Ivie Harrison continues her engaging series in this third book to feature Linda Wallheim, a caring and compassionate Mormon bishop's wife who would nurture the world if given half the chance. In For Time and All Eternities, she explores not only polygamy but the November 2015 exclusion policy in which the Mormon Church took an unforgiving stance against the LGBT community within its ranks. Linda, her husband, and sons show a modern Mormon family facing challenges that we all must face-- except for Linda's penchant for solving murders. While Linda investigates, she sheds light on her faith, helping non-Mormons understand what her religion is all about. Being acquainted with the Mormon lifestyle has given me a great appreciation of Harrison's books, although I am certain that the devout have given her more grief than she ever thought possible. It's what the devout of all faiths do.

Although the mystery is good in For Time and All Eternities, I thought it easily solved just by observing human behavior. Fan though I am of this series, I found this book to be too personal, that it dwelt too much on church matters. It's as though Harrison couldn't maintain a necessary degree of objectivity and it weakens the story she tells. There's no doubt about it. Mette Ivie Harrison is a very talented writer. She's also very brave for writing these books. I look forward to seeing what the future holds in store for her. ( )
  cathyskye | Jan 8, 2017 |
If you have a particular interest in plots involving polygamy, For Time and All Eternities could work as a stand-alone, but it’s actually the third book in this riveting Utah based mystery series featuring Linda Wallheim, the wife of a Mormon bishop. Linda is a great first person character, passionate about her family and committed to her faith, but not without serious questions about her church.

In this book Linda becomes involved with a polygamous family when her son gets engaged to one of the daughters. The story also necessarily involves “the policy” about gay families which came to light in November 2015, because in an earlier book another of her sons came out as gay. That son is now on a mission and can’t be in close touch with his family, but he and his life are very much on his mother’s mind which helps drive the action.

As in the previous books, this story has a strong murder mystery plot, but is also very much character driven. Though the Mormon religion is central to all of the books, you don’t need to be a Mormon or even religious to enjoy this series. Readers will learn a lot about Mormonism, which author Mette Ivie Harrison knows well through personal experience--she is a practicing Mormon herself--and research. Since it’s written with heart and passion, I wasn’t surprised to see that in an afterward Harrison admits this is her most personal book yet.

I read a free advanced review copy of this book supplied to me by the publisher. Review opinions are mine. ( )
  Jaylia3 | Nov 30, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,116,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible