The Dead Seekers (A Dead Seekers Novel) by…

The Dead Seekers (A Dead Seekers Novel)

by Barb Hendee, J. C. Hendee (Author)

The Dead Seekers is the first book in a new series and that is something that I'm bloody happy about since I really loved this book! And, now I will try to write a review about a book I love which I hate to do since I just want to say read it, it's brilliant. But, I will try to be a bit versatile than that.

The book starts off with Tris Vishal being born. But, he never breaths and the midwife has to tell his poor parents that the baby is stillborn. Then, the midwife notices that he starts to breathe when she carries him away, but there is something strange about him that will mark him as different from others. He has the ability to send spirits back to where they come from. But, he also risks the lives of everyone who is close to him. Mari Kaleja learns this the hard way as a child when her whole family is slaughtered by spirits. Now she first for revenge, and it's The Dead Man she is after. But, when she finally finds Tris must she be certain that he is the right one. But, traveling with him may not be the best idea. She watches him, and he is not as she had expected. Could this really be the man she has been chasing all these years?

I found myself really enjoying this book, both the setting and the characters. Trish whose gifts are a burden for him and Mari who has spent years looking for revenge. I'm usually not much for romance in books, but one can't really say it's any romance in this book since it's more two lonely people getting to know each other (with a hint of romance). And, that's probably one of the reasons I love the book so much. There is no lusting or instalove.

As for the story itself. I loved getting to know more about Tris power, and Mari's own secret is interesting and very handy. It was also great reading about how their relationship developed from an uneasy alliance to more of a worry about each other, although Mari still wanted to kill him. But, she is a bit conflicted. The last part of the story is the best when they have to figure out who is killing soldiers. Is it a spirit or a revengeful man/woman?

I loved the ending of the book. It's the kind that put a smile on my face and I'm really looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 10, 2017 |
This is a fantasy about a man, basically a ghost hunter who can drive murderous spirits out of his realm and give them true death. People call him the Dead’s Man. They fear him, avoid him, till they need him, then he comes and wrangles the dead. He hunts the dead but Mari, hunts him and plans on murdering him for, well she has good reason.. There is a small doubt that drives her to be sure before she he is the one. She decides to travel with him and gather her proof just to make sure.
There is a lot of deaths, nasty vengeful ghosts, someone dark and pure evil, and no sex, no romance. Yes, you heard right, none. They stick with the program and concern themselves with the deaths, ghosts and the other thing about to kill them instead of desire. I almost got down and kissed the ground in thanks. Yes, I do hope there is a little something in the future.
There was another big thing for me to be thankful for. The main female character didn’t gasp a hundred times. This overused emotional burst of breath has been a trend lately that makes me, gasp. Ha ! Mari, is strong, even after her life was mangled and tossed, she is above gasping. Thank you again. I really should kiss the ground now. She is focused, a bit hyper focused at times but she deserves to be a little wacko here. Oh and she has one really cool talent. Read the story, you see.
I really enjoyed unique twist on the ghost hunter story. Tris, is a fascinating characters that has a lot more to do and I need to know more about his other half. Gasp, his other half ? Read the story, you’ll get no more here. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 3, 2017 |
I was a fan of the authors’ Noble Dead series, which I read way back in the day (2003, probably before you were born). Now this book, the first of a planned series, has come along, set in the same world they created for the Noble Dead, but with new and exciting characters.

And I liked it. The book introduces us to Tris, unwanted son of a noble lord and able to control and banish spirits; and Mari, a mondyalitko (gypsy) shifter (think were-lynx) looking to avenge the deaths of her entire family. When Mari saves Tris’ life, she is inadvertently drawn into his business of ridding the world of violent spirits. But there is more lurking out there than meets the eye: what should have been a routine job in a remote village becomes a greater mystery when it seems that the spirit of the dead woman plaguing the village may herself have been killed by a vengeful ghost. And, as Mari begins to learn more about Tris, it seems more and more likely that he may have had something to do with the slaughter of her family.

This book, like the Noble Dead series, isn’t high literature, but it doesn’t have to be: it’s fun. One of my favorite features of the Hendees’ work is the setting. This book takes place in Stravinia, a medieval, remote country of scattered villages and larger towns hiding behind thick walls. The picture the authors paint is gothic and dark: deep, foreboding forests, poor villages consisting of hovels huddled together against the predatory creatues that lurk in the darkness. Vampires, ghosts, and werewolves roam the land, and superstition and fear permeate everything. Think of the Solomon Kane stories by Robert E. Howard (you know, the guy who wrote the original Conan stories). The world created by the Hendees breathes with malicious intent, and I enjoyed stepping into it again.

I would recommend this book for those who read and enjoyed the Noble Dead saga. Likewise, anyone who likes dark fantasy would probably enjoy this book.

An advance copy of this book was provided by the publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The Dead Seekers will be available for purchase on January 3rd, 2017. ( )
  irregularreader | Jan 3, 2017 |
This review is based on an eARC I received from NetGalley. It is an honest and voluntary review. The advanced receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating.

Dark, intriguing and a real page turner! I enjoyed this story immensely and did not want to put this story down. Throughout this tale you are given just enough information to form a plausible assessment of the situation but are left with enough doubt that it draws you into the story because you just have to know what is going on! It was a fantastic spirit hunt from beginning to end!

This story starts out shrouded in mystery with the introduction of two different characters whose lives encounter trauma and intersect without their knowledge of each other. You are left wondering who was Tris, what was Tris, exactly what happened at his birth? Then the story switches to Mari and you are left wondering what exactly happened to the Móndyalítko family, what exactly is she? Although, I was able to figure out what “else” Mari was pretty quickly, I liked that additional ability as it added to the story in several parts.

Tris Vishal’s character is haunted, lonely and fixated on what he considers his one cause, to capture and put rouge spirits in a final resting place. Though he was born with the ability to see spirits he had not until recently put them to use. With the help of his friend and mentor, Heilman “Heil” Tavakovich, Tris has started to gain a better understanding of capabilities but is really still in the early stages of self-discovery. I really enjoyed learning about him and his talents over the course of the story.

Mari Kaleja’s character is determined to find the person responsible for her family’s slaughter and she will not be turned aside from her mission. The all-consuming focus she has on discovering who the Dead’s man really is has brought her to Tris’s doorstep. She is not so far gone in her quest that she is beyond reason. She wants proof of guilt before she takes her prey and it is this caution that compels her to travel with Tris. I liked that her character was feminine but was ruggedly so. She lived by the mantra to keep her enemies close and once she started traveling with Tris she did not try to make friends or put her guard down. She kept her eyes on the prize and used her wits to see the truth in the situation.

There was little character development in this book which actually works just fine. You spend time getting to know the characters and seeing how the whole spirit hunting is done. There is action, the pace is great from scene to scene, and you will develop a connection to the characters. Not an all-consuming connection but enough that you will want to continue with this series. I know that I am completely on board for the next installment in this series!

*Thank you to Berkley Publishing Group & NetGalley for this eARC of The Dead Seekers* ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Dec 30, 2016 |
A dark and gritty high fantasy setting with rich and scary supernatural plot. Set in the same book world as the Noble Dead series, but involving no vampires, this book starts off a new series involving killer ghosts and a man with a destiny mysteriously intertwined with the realm of the dead. If you like fast-paced, action-packed stories... this isn't really for you. Full of detail, and moving at a leisurely pace, this book immerses you and carries you along deeper into its mysteries. Highly recommended to lovers of supernatural fiction, high fantasy, and detail-oriented tales. ( )
  WingedWolf | Dec 21, 2016 |

Barb Hendeeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hendee, J. C.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed

In the New York Times bestselling Noble Dead saga, Barb and J.C. Hendee created an engrossing mix of “intrigue, epic fantasy, and horror.”* Now, they present a bold new series set in the same world, where the destinies of two hunters shaped by the shadows of their pasts are about to collide...

In the dark reaches of the eastern continent, Tris Vishal travels from village to village, using his power to put unsettled spirits to rest. He works alone, having learned that letting people close only leads to more death. Still, he finds himself accepting the help of the Móndyalítko woman who saves his life—a woman whose gifts are as much a burden as his own.

Mari Kaleja thirsted for vengeance since the night her family was taken from her. She has searched far and wide for the one she thinks responsible, known only as “The Dead’s Man.” But before she can kill him, she has to be sure. Mari hopes traveling with Tris will confirm her suspicions. But as they embark on a hunt where the living are just as dangerous as the dead, she learns the risks of keeping your enemy close...

Because it’s no longer clear who is predator and who is prey.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 17 Dec 2016 08:56:41 -0500)

"In the New York Times bestselling Noble Dead saga, Barb and J.C. Hendee created an engrossing mix of "intrigue, epic fantasy, and horror." Now, they present a bold new series set in the same world, where the destinies of two hunters shaped by the shadows of their pasts are about to collide... In the dark reaches of the eastern continent, Tris Vishal travels from village to village, using his power to put unsettled spirits to rest. He works alone, having learned that letting people close only leads to more death. Still, he finds himself accepting the help of the Mondyalitko woman who saves his life--a woman whose gifts are as much a burden as his own. Mari Kaleja thirsted for vengeance since the night her family was taken from her. She has searched far and wide for the one she thinks responsible, known only as "The Dead's Man." But before she can kill him, she has to be sure. Mari hopes traveling with Tris will confirm her suspicions. But as they embark on a hunt where the living are just as dangerous as the dead, she learns the risks of keeping your enemy close... Because it's no longer clear who is predator and who is prey"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,731,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible