Lying Blind: A Nan Vining Mystery (Nan…

Lying Blind: A Nan Vining Mystery (Nan Vining Mysteries Book 6)

by Dianne Emley

If you are a detective Nan Vining fan, you’ll want to dig into this suspenseful mystery. Emley doubles everything in this story. Setting: Both in Pasadea, California and San Luis Obispo. Plot: Not one but two murders, one present day and one in the past. Plus, this case becomes personal! A police procedural, Emley knows her stuff.-- Review can be found at Le Coeur de l'Artiste http://www.djadamson.com/le-coeur-de-lartiste/archives/02-2017
  DJadamson | Jan 4, 2018 |
Detective Nan Vining returns for the sixth installment in this excellent series. A young woman’s body if found floating in the pool of a mega-mansion in Pasadena, CA. Who is she? Why was she murdered? And by whom? As Nan follows a twisted trail to answer these questions, past murders, and even her own past, rise up and threaten everything she holds dear—as well as her own life. Well written and plotted. This is a great read.

DP Lyle, award-winning author of the Jake Longly, Samantha Cody, and Dub Walker thriller series ( )
  DPLyle | Feb 20, 2017 |
I received a free advance e-copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This is the first book that I’ve read by Dianne Emley and in the Nan Vining series. The story grabbed me and wouldn’t let me go. I stayed up into the wee hours in order to find out what happens between Luke and Nan and whodunit. This is a well-written police procedural with an excellent plot and well-developed characters. The author gives enough background so the reader can follow the story without reading the previous books in the series first. Nan has an ongoing relationship with Jim, a police sergeant. There are several twists and turns involving Jim’s old love interest, related events from the past, old friends from his college days, and a couple of dead bodies. During the investigation Nan meets Luke an officer from another jurisdiction who is involved in the investigation. There are sparks between Nan and Luke. I’m looking forward to reading the other books in this series. I’m also anxious to see what happens between Nan and Jim and Nan and Luke in the future. This is a keeper and well worth the read. ( )
  iadam | Feb 4, 2017 |
This is the second Nan Vining mystery I have read. Although I didn’t like it as much as the first one I read, it captured my attention and I didn’t want to put it down until I had finished. There were a few times when it seemed it was trying to cross over into a romance novel, and, for me, that took away from the story. Although, without revealing any spoilers, I was glad that Nan has another option! Yes, you might not like some of the characters, but, afterall, they are the “bad guys.” The sixth in the series, it is not necessary to have read the prior ones, although they would certainly add to the main character’s background. ( )
  vkmarco | Jan 15, 2017 |
Lying Blind is an interesting crime story, though it never fully grabbed my attention.

The writing is a mix of third person and omniscient narration, so we flick in and out of random character's thoughts and perspectives without much rhyme or reason. At one point, we spend several pages getting to know two teenage girls, whose only role in the book is in finding a dead body. We don't see those girls again, and so all that time learning about them feels pointless. The lack of focus results in Nan never standing out as a main character. In fact, her character is irrelevant to most of the story.

Long passages of backstory take away from the immediacy of the crime and emotions. Some of the backstory is necessary in order for us to understand the link between the two murders, but much of it is just a distraction.

Rebecca and Teddy Sexton's reaction to finding the body in their pool is so absurd that we have no doubt they are somehow involved. The author does weave an intriguing tale around the longtime friends, their history, and the crimes.

As for the characters, I had a total disconnect toward their predicament and emotions. The writing has a distant feel, more like we're being told a story than experiencing one. I have not read any of the prior Nan Vining mysteries, but I don't think that factored into my disconnect. The author does a good job of orienting us with the returning characters, so we understand their relationships. For me, the characters just had a lackluster feel about them.

The pacing is quite slow, reaching the midway point before anything really starts happening. This is largely a reflection of all the unnecessary point-of-view characters and backstory.

Honestly, I was bored through much of the book. That being said, the plot is put together well, and says a lot about the secrets we keep from the people who think they know us best.

*I received an advance copy from the publisher, via NetGalley, in exchange for my honest review.* ( )
  Darcia | Jan 8, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,243,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible