Jumping Off The Planet by David Gerrold

Jumping Off The Planet

by David Gerrold

208784,207 (3.61)5

I actually didn't read it. Since I read the 2nd book first I really wanted to see what was going to happen next and not go back. Each of the next books has enough recap that it wasn't necessary to even read this one. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
I really liked the character development in the book--at least with the brothers. I found the parents unrealistic and never got a very clear idea of what the father was really like, so I didn't quite like the ending.Very imaginative near-future story, with a well-placed and subtle coming-out story mixed in (not the main character).I'm debating whether or not I'll read the second in this series or simple another of Gerrold's books. ( )
  colbud | Nov 12, 2009 |
Gerrold has created a perfectly feasible future, where cities are underground due to the heat and a new technology has allowed 'elevators' to the moon and beyond - upworld, with a schism starting between upworlders and downworlders.

However the characters in this book were not people (or children) I particularly wanted to spend time with, even though they were well drawn and believable. Three children are torn between their parents bitter divorce and then their father takes them on an extended holiday which somehow ends at the elevator, and then going to the moon, much drama ensues. I didn't like the ending, which I felt was too harsh. I won't be reading the next in the series. ( )
  amf0001 | Jul 16, 2008 |
"I've got an idea!" Dad said. "Let's go to the moon."

"Huh-?" I looked up from my comic.

"I mean it. What do you kids think? Do you want to go to the moon?"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 081257608X, Paperback)

A trip to the Moon? Sounds like the perfect family vacation. Only for 13-year-old Charles "Chigger" Dingillian his family is anything but perfect. His parents fight so much they put the 'dis' into dysfunctional. So when he and his brothers find themselves halfway to the Moon Chigger hits on a plan: if his parents can't find a way to work things out, why not just divorce them? Sound crazy? Until it works.

Charles and his brothers are on their own. But their bid for freedom hits a roadblock when Chigger suspects they are targets of an interstellar manhunt. What do these Big Corporations want? And why?

Their only hope is to jump off the planet...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:41 -0400)

When three children's father devises a vacation for them, they don't suspect they're really being kidnapped and that an off planet goal is the ultimate destination.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,909,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible