Killashandra by Anne McCaffrey

Killashandra (original 1986; edition 1986)

by Anne McCaffrey

Member:wyvernfriend
Title:Killashandra
Authors:Anne McCaffrey
Info:Corgi (1986), Paperback
Tags:fiction, sf

Killashandra by Anne McCaffrey (1986)

Recently added byahef1963, private library, CorinasQuill
    Crystal Singer by Anne McCaffrey (Cymro17)
    Cymro17: A good read as are the other books in the series.

The real meat of the story. The first volume was more like a Prologue, and the third was an Afterword, but this second installment in the trilogy is where interesting things happen. I'm still not a big fan of the main character, but she was more intriguing here and I could see the beginnings of the person she becomes in the third book. There are still things that were a mystery to me (e.g. why keep on about the crystal singers losing memory if that doesn't really happen to her yet?), but mostly this was just an entertaining tale. I may pick up the third book again as I think I'll get more out of it having read the previous two now (these books do not make sense as stand-alones; very much a complete story only if all three volumes read). ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
I'll admit it. Anne McCaffrey is a guilty secret I've had for years, starting with the Dragonriders of Pern. Honestly, I couldn't tell you why I read her stuff. I don't think she's a particularly good writer, and I find most of her female characters as histrionic as Lestat in Ann Rice's books. They're essentially sci-fi bodice-rippers. The dialog is generally awful. But I'll pick them up every time if they're lying around the house. I can't even honestly recommend them. For me, they're a time-killer, and I like the sci-fi setting. And, sometimes, that's all you need. Probably a good airplane read. ( )
  GoThouGeekly | Jun 17, 2012 |
I enjoyed the first two books of this series. This is a little more science fiction than the Pern series. Very similar in style and feel, but the characters are quite good, and there's no dragons. ( )
  Karlstar | Jan 22, 2012 |
The sequel to Crystal Singer. I reread it recently, and found that I enjoyed it almost as much as the original book. Killa heads to a planet to help install crystal and observe some irregularities in the government structure. While there some try to use her as a pawn, but as usual, she's able to take very good care of herself.

Not quite as good as the first, imo, but still a very good read. ( )
  fuzzi | Dec 10, 2011 |
Getting off Ballybran ahead of the mach storms is critical for crystal singers, but Killashandra's learned that accepting jobs hand-picked by the Hepatite Guildmaster has its risks. This time her mission will see her attacked, kidnapped and marooned - and that's only the beginning. ( )
  SunnySD | Aug 3, 2011 |

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weston, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is gratefully dedicated to Ron and Chris Massey of the Tidmarsh Stud, near Maidenhatch, and their Arabian friends, Ben, BC, Racqui, Linda and Winnie
Winters on Ballybran were generally mild, so the fury of the first spring storms as they howled across the land was ever unexpected.

From the inside flap:

CONFLICTING INTERESTS

"Lanzecki, I wouldn't put it past you to try to sucker me into another job like that Trundomoux black-crystal installation."
"I'm not, Killashandra. I'm just warning you of the disadvantages to an assignment that involves a long absence from the planet Ballybran." His expression changed subtly. "I'd rather not be professionally at odds with you. It interferes with my private life."
His dark eyes caught hers. His lips curving in the one-sided smile she found so affecting, he reached for her hand.
Her smile answered his. Together they rose form the table.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345316002, Mass Market Paperback)

At first Killashandra Ree's ambitions to become a Crystal Singer, get rich, and forget her past, were going just as she had hoped. But after she grew wealthy, a devastating storm turned her claim to useless rock. In short order she was broke, she had crystal sickness so bad she thought she was going to die, and the only way she could be true to the man she loved was to leave him....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:18 -0400)

At first Killashandra is able to become a Crystal Singer, get rich, forget her past and meet an interesting man. Then a devastating storm destroys her wealth, she becomes ill, and she must leave the man she loves.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,775,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible