The Outer Cape: A Novel by Patrick Dacey

The Outer Cape: A Novel

by Patrick Dacey

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A depressing novel about a dysfunctional family. It might leave you feeling better about your own life or it might make you wonder how much you've screwed up your own children. ( )
  DonnaMarieMerritt | Jun 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found this to be a rather plodding and disorganized novel.
The characters are okay, but the prose wanders too much to keep me interested.
I was taken aback by the graphic sex scene in the first pages and perhaps that colored my view moving forward.
Also found that the ending was rushed.

Would not recommend to friends. ( )
  aimless22 | May 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Outer Cape started off great. Immediately, I began to sink into the story. That's important to me because I'm easily bored if the story doesn't hook me in quickly. However, and unfortunately that didn't last. I did get through the rest of the book, though during the last quarter I honestly wondered if I would.

It's not as if it's bad writing really, it just feels like the author was tired of the story too and just kept on and on and on to get a word count capable of being a novel.

Oh and one very serious annoyance. I grew up in South Bend, IN. There's not much I don't know about that city, but even so, it wouldn't have taken much research to figure out that it's the "St. Joseph RIVER" not lake. Please check your facts when writing about a real place. ( )
  Silversi | May 11, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
First, thank you to LibraryThing/Holt Publishers for an early copy of this novel for my enjoyment. I truly liked the era (60's - 70's) of the early part of the story, and love Cape Cod anytime, but I found it hard to become attached to the characters, especially Irene (mother, wife, artist). The early life of Irene and Robert was typical 60's with lots of pot, drugs, sex, abortions – things that happened then. After their 2 sons are grown, they return to the cape to a sick Irene (brain tumor), but the story never did grip me, found myself skimming to get through. Thanks to Patrick Dacey for the opportunity to read one of his first novels. ( )
  annwelton | May 2, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had a difficult time with this book; none of the characters resonated with me, nor could I get involved in their lives. They didn't seem to have any real depth in their relationships with one another, child/parent or man/woman. ( )
  scotlass66 | May 2, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Patrick Dacey's book The Outer Cape is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,047,892 books! | Top bar: Always visible