The Outer Cape: A Novel by Patrick Dacey

The Outer Cape: A Novel

by Patrick Dacey

With a lovely Joel Meyerowitz Cape Cod porch cover, this novel deceptively hints of a serenity that is not achieved until the very end. It's the story of brutality passed from fathers to sons in a family of builders on the Cape. Two sons are raised by a morally corrupt father and a mother who seems powerless to be a positive influence. Its meanders from Las Vegas to Afghanistan to Wall St and then back to the Cape are a long stretch of unhappiness and misery. The last ten pages seem to have been written by another author, and the reader needs to decide if it was all worth it. Me, not so much. ( )
  froxgirl | Sep 6, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Not unlike Pat Conroy’s The Prince of Tides, The Outer Cape by Patrick Dacey takes an emotional toll on the reader. In order to do this, we have to feel something for at least one of the characters, and this, perhaps is the hardest part in reading it.

These are not the sort of people most of us would want to be associated with, especially the mother and father, but as time passes and the sons, Nathan and Andrew, suddenly become men, we begin to feel for them and understand why they are who they are.

Dacey is a gifted writer, and although I struggled at times with The Outer Cape, I’m glad I read it, because from this reader’s perspective, I’m taking this story as a warning of what not to do as both a parent and husband. ( )
  Ed_Gosney | Aug 30, 2017 |
A generational tale, no real likable characters, set in Massachusetts ( )
  5041 | Aug 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had a hard time with this book. Dysfunctional families and quite a depressing outlook to boot. Didn't connect nor like any of the characters. It was well written prose wise, so the lack of connection may just be due to my feeling and mood. ( )
  Beamis12 | Jul 31, 2017 |
A Library Thing win.
This book was just ok for me. A depressing tale of a dysfunctional family living on a beautiful part of the country. Irene an artist, sacrifices her art in order to raise 2 boys. Robert a real estate agent who is always looking for a way to make it big, which eventually lands him in jail for white collar crimes. Fast forward 20 years where the boys return to care for their dying mother and relive their childhood. The characters were bland and I couldn't connect with any of them.
Thank you LibraryThing for the opportunity to read this advanced copy. Wish I could've enjoyed it more. ( )
  Dannadee | Jun 23, 2017 |

"Centered around a family's weekend in their summer cottage on the Northeast cape that explores four lives in crisis and reflects back at us what the American family is becoming"--

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Patrick Dacey's book The Outer Cape is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,998,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible