The Avengers #19 (This Evil Renewed, Volume…

The Avengers #19 (This Evil Renewed, Volume 3)

by Marvel Comics

113,689,591 (3)None
Recently added byAll_Hail_Grimlock
9 (1)

Robot rampage!
7:37 pm 11 November 2016
Avengers (1998-2004) #19 - Kurt Busiek, George Perez, Al Vey
Someone robotic is kidnapping Avengers, destroying their plants where their Quinjets are made, and it's not until The Wasp literally crashes into Avengers mansion that they start to put everything together.

There's a subplot with Wanda dating Simon - boo because it makes Vision so sad - and there's some internal team conflict. No one is unprofessional enough to let it affect their work, but I wonder where it'll lead. Simon's brother has been kidnapped and given the connection to a previous villain who is back, I wonder what's going on with that as well.

I wasn't crazy about the art, and I felt like not much happened in this story. I think I'm disillusioned with older comics: they feel outdated in that they don't have as much social progression as I'd hoped. Comics are my ray of light right now, Marvel in particular. Marvel is doing so much to push out some diversity - and while that in particular is discussed in this issue, I have problems with how which I'll discuss later - that it makes me happy.

As for diversity now: there is a press conference and everyone in the Avengers gets upset at the media who asks why there are white people and one black man on the team. They question their sanctions against a Temple citing religious persecution.

The Avengers immediately get pissed off and claim that color of skin has nothing to do with what's inside people's hearts and souls and what makes them a hero. Thor in particular gets all hot and bothered by this.

They claim that they didn't sanction anyone because of religion but rather because they were acting suspicious by not being transparent. Did they have a point? Yes. But it got lost in trying to drown out everything with immediate offense. The question of would they have done the same if, say, a white-run bank had done this was never answered because, yeah, Wasp comes crashing through the window.

The thing is the media is not only making good points, they're asking questions they should ask. Getting angry doesn't help, and it makes this seem dated. This gets cut short and there's no ruminating on if they're doing enough to find diverse members or just being complacent. (And yes, diversity matters on this team: it allows minorities to be present and might make those wary of the Avengers more willing to talk to the minority members. It also doesn't allow a complacency with the standards. White men arguing that what's inside is more important seems disingenuous too: how easy to say when it's mostly white men - and women - standing there. Think if they had a more diverse membership how someone could speak up for them, how it would lend them members that understand how systematic racism can be traumatic, and how it might make them more willing to consider these questions rather than immediately lash out in a defensive response. Disappointing.)

I do want to see how this ends up since I got this issue and the next for free on Comixoloy. This also fits my AI rampage square for Marvel bingo. Yay! Not going to make issue 20 a priority, however.
Marvel Graphic Novel scarlet witch Vision Comixology favorite character avengers related i ship this read in 2016 ( )
  All_Hail_Grimlock | Dec 9, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,746,053 books! | Top bar: Always visible