Final Girls: A Novel by Riley Sager

Final Girls: A Novel

by Riley Sager

The main character, Quincy, is the sole survivor of the massacre of her friends at a cabin in the woods that they were using as a weekend getaway. Quincy then becomes one of a select small group of people as there are only two other girls in the same situation - survivors of mass murders. However, after one of the girls is found murdered in her home and the other survivor turns up on her doorstep, Quincy is forced into trying to remember what really happened in that cabin in the woods. What she discovers is not what she wants to remember - it is so much worse! And so unexpected! I simply loved this book! ( )
  Susan.Macura | Aug 18, 2017 |
Quincy survives a massacre at Pine Cottage that kills all of her friends. She along with Lisa, only survivor of a sorority mass killing and Samantha, lone survivor of the Potato Sack Man, make up the final girls, a commonly used trope in horror movies that refers to the last girl standing at the movies end. Quincy who can't remember what happened on that fateful night and has sort of moved on with the help of a nice boyfriend, her baking blog, and a lot of Xanax. She moves through her life in a semi numbed state until Lisa commits suicide and Samantha shows up on her doorstep demanding answers about what really happened that night at Pine Cottage. Suddenly Quincy's life may depend on the answer to that question.

If you love horror movies then run and grab this book. Even if you are not a fan this is still one twisty thriller. It had so many turns and red herrings that I was thoroughly entertained throughout. I may be naive but I did not see that ending coming at all. Maybe I would have if I watched more horror movies. This book took a clever premise and wound itself tighter and tighter until the explosive end. This is one of my favorite reads this summer. ( )
  arielfl | Aug 16, 2017 |
If the recommendations of Stephen King, Lisa Gardner and Katerina Diamond mean anything to you, this debut novel is an absolute must-read: Final Girls revolves around an intriguing premise rather than a midstory about-turn for its impact, putting it in a different league to thrillers like ‘Gone Girl’.

Serial killers, especially in Thriller Land, are two-a-penny: mass-murderers are another story though. ‘Final Girls’ is the tag the media has given to Lisa, Sam, and Quincy, who have been sole survivors of three separate killing sprees.

Quincy managed to escape when the friends with whom she was sharing a remote cabin were butchered: she was chased through the forest and fell into the arms of a policeman on patrol; he shot her pursuer dead.

Although she blocked out all memory of the killings and put the past behind her, leading a ‘normal life’ with her boyfriend and her business, Quincy is disturbed when first Lisa is murdered, and then Sam arrives on her doorstep, asking for help.

Is someone trying to kill all the ‘Final Girls’? Quincy was grateful for her amnesia regarding the killings. But now she wonders: maybe her blocked memory holds a secret someone will kill to keep hidden? ( )
  adpaton | Aug 10, 2017 |
Just the other day I came upon something that reminded me of the author, Todd Ritter. I loved his books and I noticed that he had not published anything lately. I knew that he was little known and as such his following was somewhat meh. However, I had met Todd Ritter and found him to be very personable and entertaining. I hoped the best for him. So when I discovered this, I sunk a little bit, hoping he was doing well.

Then, this book came up on my TBR pile. While reading the blurbs, I noticed the phrase "previously published author". Curiosity peaked, I looked them up. Surprise, surprise, it's Todd Ritter! I am so happy he's publishing again and I'm pretty sure his little known status is no more!

I read this book all in one sitting. A story of three girls who were the girls left by serial killers. Either left for dead, thought they were dead or they got away.

A title that no one wants, Quincy is the latest to receive it. She was involved in a massacre that took place in a camp cabin in the middle of the woods years before. She is now leading a "normal" life as a cooking blogger and engaged to her fiance, Jeff. She finds therapeutic satisfaction in the officer that found her and saved her, Coop.

When news that Lisa, another "Final Girl" who survived an attack on her college girls dorm commits suicide, Quincy is visited by the last "Final Girl", Samantha Boyd. Samantha was involved in the attacks by the "Sack Man" while working in a motel.

Samantha has been a curious one for the reporters. Her picture has never been shown, no one knows anything about her whereabouts, she's gone with the wind. Her sudden appearance at Quincy's doorstep adds a new element to this whole story. One where the real intrigue begins. And, where the person searching for the "Final Girls" comes hunting.

A story full of action, suspense and thrills, I found page-turning and mesmerizing. I read it all in one day because I could not put it down.

Kudos to the author for a job well done and your new, well deserved status!

Thanks to Penguin Group/Dutton and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review. ( )
  debkrenzer | Aug 9, 2017 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED: https://bibliomantics.com/2017/08/05/my-year-in-reading-cassie-las-july-2017-wrap-up/

A decade ago, Quincy Carpenter became a final girl, the sole survivor of a horror movie-esque massacre. Struggling to move past the title, Quincy is dragged back into the spotlight when one of her fellow final girls is found dead. Deemed “the first great thriller of 2017” by Stephen King, Riley Sager’s Final Girls is a suspenseful thrill ride that will have you guessing* until the very end.

*guessing wrong ( )
  yrchmonger | Aug 6, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,106,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible