Into the Water by Paula Hawkins

Into the Water (2017)

by Paula Hawkins

English (98)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  All (103)
I don't know how I slogged through this book but I did, somehow? It was boring, predictable, anticlimactic, and about 100 pages too long. It also features my least favorite trope -- major miscommunications because people just refuse to TALK to each other. Ugh!!! ( )
  captainmander | Jul 19, 2018 |
This deserved 2.5 stars. Not nearly as good as Girl on the Train. Just meh... ( )
  blogbrarian | Jul 16, 2018 |
Gotta say Paula Hawkins writing has improved a great deal since Girl on the Train, I enjoyed this book from start to finish and couldn't read it fast enough. I definitely got some Sharp Objects vibes throughout the book, but it is different enough to make it unique. The story is about a two deaths in a river in a town that is known for suicides and murders occurring at this river throughout it's history. The recent deaths and investigation are explored through multiple people involved in their lives and shows how interconnected the two deaths are with each other. It was confusing at first to keep track of who was who and their sections told from their point of view and it caused me to have to flip back several times, but eventually you get used to it and into the story where it flows better. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Jul 9, 2018 |
Disappointing after Girl on the Train. I know some people dislike comparisons to an author's initial breakout hit. However, let's face it, most copies of Into the Water were sold based on readers' expectations of a repeat thriller. I had to force myself to finish this one.

The plot is slow, the prose is nothing special, and characters are only vaguely interesting. The only redeeming quality is revealing a major (but predictable) plot twist on the last page. ( )
  jlafleur | Jul 6, 2018 |
I found this to be confusing and a slow read. The plot had great potential, but the many viewpoints and narrators made it unnecessarily disjointed. ( )
  phyllis.shepherd | Jun 28, 2018 |
I was very young when I was cracked open.

Some things you should let go of

Others you shouldn't

Views differ as to which

-Emily Berry, "The Numbers Game"
We now know that memories are not fixed or frozen, like Proust's jars of preserves in a larder, but are transformed, disassembled, reassembled, and recategorized with every act of recollection. -Oliver Sacks, Hallucinations
For all the troublemakers
"Again! Again!" The men bind her again.

With the same propulsion that captivated millions of readers around the world in her novel The Girl on the Train, Paula Hawkins unfurls a gripping, twisting, layered plot, interwoven with a powerful understanding of human instincts and the damage they can inflict.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 10 Dec 2016 23:26:38 -0500)

"The author of the #1 New York Times bestseller and global phenomenon The Girl on the Train returns with Into the Water, her addictive new novel of psychological suspense. A single mother turns up dead at the bottom of the river that runs through town. Earlier in the summer, a vulnerable teenage girl met the same fate. They are not the first women lost to these dark waters, but their deaths disturb the river and its history, dredging up secrets long submerged. Left behind is a lonely fifteen-year-old girl. Parentless and friendless, she now finds herself in the care of her mother's sister, a fearful stranger who has been dragged back to the place she deliberately ran from--a place to which she vowed she'd never return. With the same propulsive writing and acute understanding of human instincts that captivated millions of readers around the world in her explosive debut thriller, The Girl on the Train, Paula Hawkins delivers an urgent, twisting, deeply satisfying read that hinges on the deceptiveness of emotion and memory, as well as the devastating ways that the past can reach a long arm into the present. Beware a calm surface--you never know what lies beneath"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,293,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible