Into the Water: A Novel by Paula Hawkins

Into the Water: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Paula Hawkins (Author)

Member:havenlibrarian
Title:Into the Water: A Novel
Authors:Paula Hawkins (Author)
Info:Riverhead Books (2017), Edition: First Edition, 400 pages

Into the Water by Paula Hawkins

English (23)  Dutch (1)  All (24)
I was not a fan of The Girl on the Train. Because of that I was hesitant to read Hawkins new novel, but I'm glad I took the chance. I loved this one! Interestingly, it appears from reviews I've read that readers who loved The Girl on the Train despise Into the Water, but those that disliked her first work love this one.
In this book, Jules returns home upon the death of her sister, Nel. Jules and Nel have been estranged for years. An incident in their teen years has created a deep resentment in Jules for her sister. Still, Jules has to go home for her sister's funeral and because her sister was the single mother of a teen aged girl.
Nel has drowned in The Drowning Pool, a place of local legend where supposedly witches and other "troublesome women" have been disposed of. Nel's is the second recent death in the pool, and there is some question as to whether Nel killed herself or was killed.
The story is told by a variety of characters with narration shifting in each chapter. This gives the same sort of confusion that Hawkins created in The Girl on the Train with her unreliable narrator. I found this much more appealing because I could not find a single character in her previous work that I cared about. In this work, although everyone is flawed in some way, they are each also sympathetic.
There are lots of twists and turns, red herrings, and surprises. It kept me reading late into the night. I would highly recommend it. ( )
  DrApple | Jun 20, 2017 |
Several narrators tell the story of Into the Water much like in Hawkin's first book, The Girl on a Train. The river in an English town is the setting for a series of murders and/or suicides that take place. I did not like this nearly as much as her first book. There were too many characters and I don't think it was as tightly written or as suspenseful as The Girl on a Train. ( )
  KatherineGregg | Jun 14, 2017 |
A lot of women are dying in a small town, drowning in the local river. There are a lot of questions as to why this is, but the answers are not easy ones. I found this book as compelling as "The Girl on the Train" and just as well written. I am looking forward to her next effort. ( )
  Susan.Macura | Jun 12, 2017 |
In some ways it's like a modern telling of The Scarlet Letter. Once again women are all powerful to the point we can 'force' men to commit violent, evil acts against their will just with what our bodies have to offer. Women have been burned at the stake for witchcraft because a man couldn't be held responsible for his cheating ways - it was all her fault from the spells she cast. Women have been beaten and killed for enticing a man into adultery because he couldn't be held responsible for his lustful actions - it was all her fault for the way she looked.

I've never understood why men and even whole cultures are so quick to adopt this idea that they are weaker than women. After all that's exactly what they're saying - women have all the power to bring men to their knees, force them to do things they would never have done otherwise, they couldn't be held responsible for their actions.

Hawkins takes this centuries old idea, adds a bit of historical context, craftily developed characters, a suspenseful storyline and tossed it between some eye catching art work on the cover to bring you Into the Water. After reading Girl on the Train I went into this with high hopes and she did not disappoint. Once I started reading I remained glue to the pages because I had to know where she was taking this story and even when I thought I had finally gotten everything she threw one more twist at the end.

Two dark, suspenseful thrillers down - does she have more in her? ( )
  ttsheehan | Jun 5, 2017 |
I think I've been waiting to read the next book by Paula Hawkins since I finished The Girl on the Train. I'm so happy that this book ultimately didn't disappoint.

Into the Water relies one same suspicion techniques the author used in her first novel. The mystery in this novel involves a small town's lake with a dark history. Women in the town have often chosen it to commit suicide. The protagonist, Jules, returns to her childhood home following the death of her sister. She immediately becomes caught up in the why of her sister's death, and the teenage daughter her sister has left behind.

I can think of a few pieces of this book that I didn't love which keeps me from calling it a "new classic" or something overly enthusiastic. Overall, this book did exactly what I wanted. It provided a nice and still thrilling escape. ( )
  LAttaway | Jun 1, 2017 |
I was very young when I was cracked open.

Some things you should let go of

Others you shouldn't

Views differ as to which

-Emily Berry, "The Numbers Game"
We now know that memories are not fixed or frozen, like Proust's jars of preserves in a larder, but are transformed, disassembled, reassembled, and recategorized with every act of recollection. -Oliver Sacks, Hallucinations
For all the troublemakers
"Again! Again!" The men bind her again.

The author of the #1 New York Times bestseller and global phenomenon The Girl on the Train returns with Into the Water, her addictive new novel of psychological suspense.

With the same propulsion that captivated millions of readers around the world in her novel The Girl on the Train, Paula Hawkins unfurls a gripping, twisting, layered plot, interwoven with a powerful understanding of human instincts and the damage they can inflict.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 10 Dec 2016 23:26:38 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,078,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible