Into the Water: A Novel by Paula Hawkins

Into the Water: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Paula Hawkins (Author)

Member:Laura_lita
Title:Into the Water: A Novel
Authors:Paula Hawkins (Author)
Info:Riverhead Books (2017), Edition: First Edition, 400 pages
Collections:eBooks

Into the Water by Paula Hawkins

English (50)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All (52)
A couple years ago I got the book “The Girl on the Train” from my library, a spoil of war known as the ‘New Items Wall’. I had been waiting for it to be up for the allotted amount of time employees have to wait before it’s up for grabs, and as soon as that time was up I grabbed it and claimed it as my own. It didn’t take me long to read it. I found it pretty okay. I was entertained, even if I guessed the big twist long before the reveal was meant to happen. Though it’s gotten a bit of backlash as of late, I knew that anything else that Paula Hawkins wrote would get a lot of attention, and that I would be interested in reading it. So enter “Into the Water”, the newest book by Paula Hawkins. Like “The Girl on the Train”, I had to wait for this one to pass the time limit. And then I grabbed it for myself.

When “Into the Water” took me in, it took me in pretty hard. The book is told through multiple perspectives, each of them slowly giving tiny pieces of the overall puzzle as to what exactly happened to the two dead ladies who drowned in the local pond. The first is Katie, a teenage girl who jumped to her death from the cliff above the drowning pool. The second is Nel, a single mother whose daughter, Lena, was best friends with Katie. No one knows what happened to Nel. She was writing a book about the large number of women who died in the drowning pool over the years, either by suicide, witch craft trial, or straight up murder. Various perspectives include the eyes of Jules, Nel’s sister, Lena, Nel’s daughter, Sean, a detective and a man with his own connection to the pool, and Erin, Sean’s partner on the force. These four voices were the strongest of the bunch, as others either felt overdramatic (the mother of Katie was especially grating, even though I did feel sympathy for her), superfluous (a local psychic who has her own beef with Sean’s family), or just downright yucky (Mark, a teacher who may have had an improper relationship with one of his students). While they all added their own important pieces, it was hard to keep track of all of them at times at first. You add in chapters from Nel’s book about the other women who died in the drowning pool and you get a lot of information to process as you are paging through quickly because it’s so enthralling.

I had a few theories about what was going on this book, and unlike “The Girl on the Train” I wasn’t totally convinced about what had happened very early one. While I liked that it kept me guessing pretty well, I did take issue with the fact that this book is the kind of story that likes to keep yanking the rug out from under you. I am okay with twists and turns, but I get really sore when a solution is presented, a conclusion is presumed, and then in the last paragraph, NAY, the last SENTENCE, the solution is completely thrown out the window and a new reality is set in place. That’s not clever to me, that’s not inventive or an ‘ah ha!’ moment. That’s a cop out, and I am not impressed with cop outs.

I think that I need to just start to accept the fact that while I am definitely going to keep up with Paula Hawkins books in the future, I’m going to have to accept that for me it’s going to be less about the solution and more about the journey getting there. I would definitely say that “Into the Water” kept me entertained and captivated well until the final pages were turned, but on the other side of the coin the ending was a huge let down. What I will say is that Hawkins knows how to construct a mystery and a thriller, and just because the endings have disappointed me it doesn’t mean that I will completely overlook the experience as a whole. ( )
  thelibraryladies | Sep 18, 2017 |
Better than her first book. Had trouble putting it down!! ( )
  gail616 | Sep 12, 2017 |
I loved this novel. It sucked me in from the start and kept me hooked the entire way through. I was constantly changing my mind the entire way through the book as to what was actually happening in this small town. There were a lot of characters points of view but for me that made it more interesting. I liked seeing how each person was involved. The ending was kind of abrupt but I wasn't expecting it which is a good thing overall. I do wish there was more to the ending than what happened, but Paula Hawkins still has made a new fan in me overall! ( )
  Jacquiec2687 | Sep 12, 2017 |
I was a little disappointed in this book. I LOVED Girl on the Train so much I finished it in 24 hours. The story didn't capture me the way Hawkin's other plot did. I found the multiple perspectives to be confusing. There were so many points of view that I think she could've done without a few of them and still maintained what she was trying to present. The chapters are very short, which usually means I read faster but for some reason I would end up finishing a chapter or two and closing the book for a while. I don't think I've read a book in so many sittings in a long time. For me, the plot was a little too slow to keep me reading for hours and hours. Don't get me wrong, I liked the book but I had really high expectations and didn't get into the story as much as I would have liked. ( )
  AmalieTurner | Aug 23, 2017 |
I had a hard time with this book, which is disappointing because I loved Girl on the Train. This book started slow to me and bounced around between characters in a way that made it hard for me to engage with the story. By the time the plot started picking up I was disinvested in the story and didn't really care about the outcome much. ( )
  ChrisWay | Aug 22, 2017 |
I was very young when I was cracked open.

Some things you should let go of

Others you shouldn't

Views differ as to which

-Emily Berry, "The Numbers Game"
We now know that memories are not fixed or frozen, like Proust's jars of preserves in a larder, but are transformed, disassembled, reassembled, and recategorized with every act of recollection. -Oliver Sacks, Hallucinations
For all the troublemakers
"Again! Again!" The men bind her again.

The author of the #1 New York Times bestseller and global phenomenon The Girl on the Train returns with Into the Water, her addictive new novel of psychological suspense.

With the same propulsion that captivated millions of readers around the world in her novel The Girl on the Train, Paula Hawkins unfurls a gripping, twisting, layered plot, interwoven with a powerful understanding of human instincts and the damage they can inflict.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 10 Dec 2016 23:26:38 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,955,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible