Into the water by Paula Hawkins

Into the water (original 2017; edition 2018)

by Paula Hawkins

Member:agneson9
Title:Into the water
Authors:Paula Hawkins
Info:London : Black Swan, 2018.
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:grp-fiction, for-adult, grp-gen

Into the Water by Paula Hawkins (2017)

English (113)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  All languages (118)
This novel is about a small town in England that has experienced many deaths by drowning in a local river. The characters that have died all seem to be women and the first character is drowned as a witch. There are current deaths that have not been ruled suicide, accident or murder. That is what the novel is taking us through.
There are many characters in this novel, but I found that really smart. We really come to understand each character and the interplay involved in trying to find out whether the recent deaths were committed or not.
There are many underlying currents within this story. Sisters hating each other, affairs taking place (or having took place), teenage angst, etc.
There were a few really unanswered questions in the end, but I thought that this was well written and it certainly kept me reading. ( )
  JReynolds1959 | Dec 3, 2018 |
Find my reviews here.
Once I got into the flow, I was totally swept up by this story and the murky lives of the (many) characters involved.

I am reviewing Into the Water by Paula Hawkins, the lady who brought us the Sunday Times No.1 bestseller The Girl on the Train. Here's what I thought:

^^ Jules' sister, Nel, jumped into a scary place they call The Drowning Pool, which is something Jules knows her sister would never have done. Now Nel is dead. What follows is a look inside the muddy depths of the lives of other characters, each wielding their
own secrets and lies. But if Nel didn't jump, is there a murderer among them? And what about Nel's own account via her unpublished memoir; can any of it be true?

^^ After struggling with the way this was written (not only did each chapter have a different person's point of view, but it seemed each point of view swapped from 1st person for main characters, to 3rd person for seemingly secondary characters), I soon got into the flow of reading and raced through, thoroughly enjoying the ride.

^^ Despite a slow start struggling to get my head around the changes of POV I soon picked up the pace and raced through Into the Water. I can still happily recommend this book as the author has a great writing style, which really pulls me under into her characters' world as if I'm part of their secrets and the stories they tell.

^^ I found the ending really emotional, and was not disappointed with this author's second book. After Hawkins' success with Girl on the
Train, she had a lot to live up to. For me this did not disappoint. With so many twists and turns it makes for an urgent, intelligent read with lots of hidden depth rising to the surface.

Overall: Paula Hawkins has written yet another powerful, satisfying read where her characters not only have something to tell, but have pasts they'd rather you not find out. Once I got into the flow, I was totally swept up by this story. The author has a fascinating way of showing how she understands human behaviour. Not all lies come from hatred. We're all human, and humans have a bad habit of making a mess of things, especially when the push comes to the shove and the survival instinct kicks in. 4.5 stars over on Amazon.

Thank you to the publisher for providing me with a review copy to read. ( )
  SassyBrit | Nov 27, 2018 |
Women keep turning up dead in the waters of the drowning pool on the river near where the Abbott family owns a cottage. And even though Nel Abbott grew up here and is familiar with the dangerous water she is the latest drowning victim. Coincidentally, Nel has been researching the deaths of all of those women who have met their death in the drowning pool. And there is some suspicion that her death was not accidental. Being a single mother, she leaves behind her fifteen-year-old daughter Lena. So Nel’s sister Jules, as the only remaining family member, is called upon to help. When Jules returns to the cottage to help bad memories resurface from her time there as a child.

The narrative undertakes the task of introducing many, many characters with stories from the past and present. Each of them has a story to tell and each of them has secrets to hide. And one of these characters must most certainly be responsible for Nel’s death.

The book is not a page turner. In fact, the pace is rather slow and deliberate since there are so many characters emerging as the story progresses. There was no “I can’t believe it” moment. And unfortunately, the plot reveal at the end seemed lackluster and didn’t really grab me. ( )
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
Definitely had me hooked. I was really surprised by the ending and a little disappointed in the final outcome. I'm feeling, just, UGH! about it all. It was great, so many complicated characters to love and to hate. ( )
  erthom02 | Nov 20, 2018 |
Not going to lie, I LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS NOVEL. I literally gasped at the end of it. I just couldn't believe the ending. Shocking to say the least. You learn to love and hate characters as well as being shocked at the whole outcome of the novel. From beginning to end I couldn't put it down. Just when you think you had it all figured out....HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO ANY THRILLER LOVER OUT THERE!!!!!!!! ( )
  MissTamaraDawn | Oct 30, 2018 |
I was very young when I was cracked open.

Some things you should let go of

Others you shouldn't

Views differ as to which

-Emily Berry, "The Numbers Game"
We now know that memories are not fixed or frozen, like Proust's jars of preserves in a larder, but are transformed, disassembled, reassembled, and recategorized with every act of recollection. -Oliver Sacks, Hallucinations
For all the troublemakers
"Again! Again!" The men bind her again.

With the same propulsion that captivated millions of readers around the world in her novel The Girl on the Train, Paula Hawkins unfurls a gripping, twisting, layered plot, interwoven with a powerful understanding of human instincts and the damage they can inflict.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 10 Dec 2016 23:26:38 -0500)

"The author of the #1 New York Times bestseller and global phenomenon The Girl on the Train returns with Into the Water, her addictive new novel of psychological suspense. A single mother turns up dead at the bottom of the river that runs through town. Earlier in the summer, a vulnerable teenage girl met the same fate. They are not the first women lost to these dark waters, but their deaths disturb the river and its history, dredging up secrets long submerged. Left behind is a lonely fifteen-year-old girl. Parentless and friendless, she now finds herself in the care of her mother's sister, a fearful stranger who has been dragged back to the place she deliberately ran from--a place to which she vowed she'd never return. With the same propulsive writing and acute understanding of human instincts that captivated millions of readers around the world in her explosive debut thriller, The Girl on the Train, Paula Hawkins delivers an urgent, twisting, deeply satisfying read that hinges on the deceptiveness of emotion and memory, as well as the devastating ways that the past can reach a long arm into the present. Beware a calm surface--you never know what lies beneath"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,800,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible