Secrets of the Tulip Sisters: The Perfect…

Secrets of the Tulip Sisters: The Perfect Beach Read of the Summer

by Susan Mallery

This is definitely a great summer read, full of messy and not so messy secrets. The family dynamics are such that all are very generous in forgiveness, even as more secrets creep up throughout the story. Sisters Kelly and Olivia have remained polar opposites since their youth and it was heartwarming to see them create an adult relationship. Tulpen Crossing is described so vividly, from the tulip farm to faltering tourism, that I felt like it was somewhere I visited in person. ( )
  ethel55 | Jul 30, 2017 |
I read this book while I was on vacation and it was a perfect book to just sit and read without interruption. This is a story of sisters – I have no experience in the sisterly bond only having brothers but I have heard (and read) stories of how strong it can be. This novel explores all manner of family dynamics from the broken marriage of the parents to the relationships of the two parents to the children. The sisters are each keeping secrets from each other that leak out in fits and starts interfering with their attempts to reconcile.

Each sister faces her own set of hurdles with both life and love. Kelly, the elder has always just rolled along accepting that her relationships would never be completely fulfilling until she is reunited with someone from her past. He is determined to break down her defenses.

The surrounding community also plays a big role in the tale as it struggles to survive in a fast paced world. Kelly’s sister Olivia comes back and seemingly revitalizes the local artisan mall with her instinct and ideas.

There is plenty of romance and a lot of family dynamics in Secrets of the Tulip Sisters. The book read quickly and it entertained. I can’t say I became overly invested in any of the characters and that led to this being a light, airy read. It filled some time but it didn’t evoke any big emotions for me. ( )
  BrokenTeepee | Jul 26, 2017 |
Secrets of the Tulip Sisters by Susan Mallery

Powerful character development and depth. Amazing friends and family.
I was especially impressed by Olivia. She got kicked around over and over, yet she's the one that manages everything.
I love Susan Mallery's writing. Utterly engaging and emotionally fulfilling. ( )
  Madison_Fairbanks | Jul 18, 2017 |
Kelly Murphy and her father Jeff own a tulip farm in Tulpen Crossing, Washington. They have lived alone for over ten years after her mother left the family for Phoenix. Her younger sister Olivia left home around the same time for boarding school to curb her “wild ways”. Olivia sided with her mother after the divorce and they work together in the same estate office. Eager to rekindle her ties with her family, Olivia decides to visit Tulpen Crossing.

Kelly hasn't warmed up to Olivia’s return and is unsure how to move forward in their relationship. Through the years she has relied on best friend Helen for advice. She owns the local coffee shop and influences how Kelly handles her sister. Throughout the story Kelly, Olivia, and Helen each hold back secrets from one another. When all the truths start to unfold, all of their their relationships take a step forward.

This story is about family, romance, and the power of friendships. There are many secondary characters that add interesting fabric to the story. This was a fun read by Susan Mallery. ( )
  leopolds | Jul 13, 2017 |
I have seen this book advertised all over the internet. Every time that I saw this book I wanted to read it that much more. Well, I am happy to report that this book is every bit as good as I had hoped for. Secrets of the Tulip Sisters is a wondrous read that is filled with engaging characters that confirms you are reading a Susan Mallery book.

Sisters, Kelly and Olivia could not be that more different than oil and water. Yet, I loved them both. Kelly because of her practical side and Olivia for her fearless nature. However, as I got to know them both better, I realized that they weren't that different after all. They shared similar qualities but they just did not realize it until they brought the best out in each other.

After reading this book, I have gained a bigger appreciation for botanist. There is a great science in growing plants that I never even thought about. For example, in this book, Kelly would chill the bulbs first and then plant them to bloom. She knew how long it would take from start to finish and when she needed to plant them for her distributors.

Before I finish, I did want to add that the men in this book were great. There was Griffith, Sven, and Kelly and Olivia's father, Jeff. He even finds some romance of his own. ( )
  Cherylk | Jul 7, 2017 |

Don't miss this heart-warming tale about family, and the unbreakable bond between sisters. From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Daughters of the Bride comes the feel-good novel of the year!

Praise for Susan Mallery:

“[Mallery] will appeal to fans of women's fiction, especially such friendship books as Karen Joy Fowler's The Jane Austen Book Club.”—Booklist

“Reading a Mallery book is like catching up with old friends.”—BookPage

“Susan Mallery never disappoints and with Daughters of the Bride she is at her storytelling best.”—Debbie Macomber, #1 New York Times bestselling author

Kelly Murphy's life as a tulip farmer is pretty routine—up at dawn, off to work, lather, rinse, repeat. But everything changes one sun-washed summer with two dramatic homecomings: Griffith Burnett—Tulpen Crossing's prodigal son, who's set his sights on Kelly—and Olivia, her beautiful, wayward and, as far as Kelly is concerned, unwelcome sister. Tempted by Griffith, annoyed by Olivia, Kelly is overwhelmed by the secrets that were so easy to keep when she was alone.

But Olivia's return isn't as triumphant as she pretends. Her job has no future, and ever since her dad sent her away from the bad boy she loved, she has felt cut off from her past. She's determined to reclaim her man and her place in the family…whether her sister likes it or not. For ten years, she and Kelly have been strangers. Olivia will get by without her approval now.

While Kelly and Olivia butt heads, their secrets tumble out in a big hot mess, revealing some truths that will change everything they thought they knew. Can they forgive each other—and themselves—and redefine what it means to be sisters?

Told with Mallery's trademark heart and humor, the Tulip Sisters are in for the most colorful summer of their lives…

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 29 Apr 2017 23:11:11 -0400)

Kelly Murphy's life as a tulip farmer is pretty routine - up at dawn, off to work, lather, rinse, repeat. But everything changes one sun-washed summer with two dramatic homecomings: Griffith Burnett - Tulpen Crossing's prodigal son, who's set his sights on Kelly - and Olivia, her beautiful, wayward and, as far as Kelly is concerned, unwelcome sister. Tempted by Griffith, annoyed by Olivia, Kelly is overwhelmed by the secrets that were so easy to keep when she was alone. But Olivia's return isn't as triumphant as she pretends. Her job has no future, and ever since her dad sent her away from the bad boy she loved, she has felt cut off from her past. She's determined to reclaim her man and her place in the family... whether her sister likes it or not. For ten years, she and Kelly have been strangers. Olivia will get by without her approval now. While Kelly and Olivia butt heads, their secrets tumble out in a big hot mess, revealing some truths that will change everything they thought they knew. Can they forgive each other - and themselves - and redefine what it means to be sisters?… (more)

Susan Mallery is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,368,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible