The Simplicity of Cider: A Novel by Amy E.…

The Simplicity of Cider: A Novel

by Amy E. Reichert

This book tells a heartwarming and inspirational tale of two people, and how they help each other discover their true selves.

Sanna grew up on the apple orchard she now helps run with her father. She has a special gift that helps her make spectacular cider. She lives for the trees on the land. They are her life, her livelihood, and they're rooted deep in her heart. She lives a simple life, but is content with it.

Isaac comes to Idun’s orchard with his son Bass. He’s trying to escape his past, and a devastating truth he has to share with his son. He is delaying the inevitable, but feels a pull towards Idun’s the minute he arrives. He is hired on as temporary help, and he and Bass help Sanna and her father tend to the orchard.

As weeks go by, Sanna and Isaac slowly open up to each other. You could feel the connection these two had right from the beginning. It practically jumped off the page. While Sanna was closed off to begin with, and Isaac was hesitant to let his true feelings build, their friendship blossomed into something even more special, as they pushed each other to be their best selves. I really love the progression of their friendship and subsequent relationship. It felt real, and true, and honest.

Standout supporting character was definitely Bass. What a sweet observant boy. He was such a cool kid, and I absolutely loved how close and connected he and Sanna became.

This was a story full of love. Romantic love, yes. But also love for your family, love for others, and love for your past and heritage. This book left me feeling warm and happy. I also want to visit an apple orchard, stat!

I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  BooksForTheLiving | Apr 17, 2018 |
Another charming food-centric romance from Amy E. Reichert as a cider-maker and a single dad spend the summer working together on a Door County orchard. ( )
  hes7 | Apr 16, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book! I am a Wisconsin resident and had the opportunity to spend time in Door county, the location of this story, so this was a very fun read for me. I hope to read more from Amy E. Reichert in the future. ( )
  TeresaChristensen | Nov 29, 2017 |
I bought this book since it was compared to Sarah Addison Allen's work - magic realism at its best. Unfortunately, this story was a poor comparison. The love story was unrealistic, the plot predictable and the magical aspect half hearted. I wanted to like this book so much; maybe that is why i was so disappointed.

A light, easy, forgettable read. ( )
  mfbarry | Aug 18, 2017 |
Sanna only wants to made the perfect blends of cider. Isaac wants to give his 10-year old son, Bass, a last innocent summer. Their worlds collide when Sanna's father hires Issac to work on their apple orchard. Sanna and Isaac are attracted but with the baggage both carry they try to keep is simple between them.

I loved Sanna and Isaac. They are both strong people who are carrying heavy burdens. Betrayals abound in this story--parents and children, husbands and wives, neighbors. Watching how the thinking of each character is muddled until they come clean with the truth is interesting. I liked how the chapters changed between Sanna and Isaac. I also liked how Eva, the real estate agent, also has some chapters from her point-of-view as well as Bass has a few scenes. I liked how Sanna's thinking develops in regards to the orchard and her burdens. I enjoyed this story. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Jul 30, 2017 |
The art of making a good cider is of great simplicity.

—L. DE BOUTTEVILLE AND A. HAUCHECORNE, LE CIDRE, 1875
To my Sam, for being my real-life inspiration.

To John, thank you.
Sanna Lund’s thoughts of apple blossoms and new cider blends stuttered to an end with the grunt of her dad’s snore.

"Fall in love with The Simplicity of Cider, the charming new novel about a prickly but gifted cider-maker whose quiet life is interrupted by the arrival of a handsome man and his young son at her family's careworn orchard by the author of The Coincidence of Coconut Cake and Luck, Love & Lemon Pie. Focused and unassuming fifth generation cider-maker Sanna Lund has one desire: to live a simple, quiet life on her family's apple orchard in Door County, Wisconsin. Although her business is struggling, Sanna remains fiercely devoted to the orchard, despite her brother's attempts to convince their aging father to sell the land. Single dad Isaac Banks has spent years trying to shield his son Sebastian from his troubled mother. Fleeing heartbreak at home, Isaac packed up their lives and the two headed out on an adventure, driving across the country. Chance--or fate--led them straight to Sanna's orchard. Isaac's helping hands are much appreciated at the apple farm, even more when Sanna's father is injured in an accident. As Sanna's formerly simple life becomes increasingly complicated, she finds solace in unexpected places--friendship with young Sebastian and something more deliciously complex with Isaac--until an outside threat infiltrates the farm. From the warm and funny Amy E. Reichert, The Simplicity of Cider is a charming love story with a touch of magic, perfect for fans of Sarah Addison Allen and Gayle Forman"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,573,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible