A Mother's Love by Charlotte Hubbard

A Mother's Love

by Charlotte Hubbard

I loved this sweet story and when the last page was turned, I wanted to continue on and live with these people that I had come to care for, especially little Gracie.
Can you imagine sitting at the deathbed of you mother, and learning that all you have believed all your life is a lie, or is it? This is basically what happened to our main character, and how she handles this information is really not in her hands. She is told by both her mother and her Bishop not to pursue finding her mother, and God sure seemed to have other ideas, but in the end are the Bishop and her mother really right.
What a heart breaking topic, but told with such compassion and love, and with so much tragedy in their young lives, Rose and Gracie seem to pull up their boots and move on with their lives.
If you enjoy Amish stories this is one read you don’t want to miss, filled with love and compassion, and for some life lessons, and I finished in no time, but found the story lingering with me.

I received this book through the Author, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Apr 5, 2017 |
A Mother’s Love is the newest book by Amish author Charlotte Hubbard. Rose Raber lives in Cedar Creek with her daughter, Gracie and her mother, Lydia. The previous summer Rose lost her father, Myron and her husband, Nathan in a fire at their mill. Now, Rose is losing her mother. Lydia’s cancer has returned after thirty years. The chemo was ineffective this time and Lydia is dying. Her mother has one last bit of information to share with Rose before she passes on. She tells Rose about a stationery box in her dresser that has letter addressed to Rose. Rose reads the letters and discovers that she is adopted. Her birth mother, Roseanne was sixteen when she discovered herself with child and her aunt, Nettie found Lydia. Lydia was unable to have children due to the cancer treatments. A second letter tells Rose that Roseanne (now Anne) is being courted by a good man, but he is unaware of her past. She asks Rose to not look for her and Bishop Gingerich agrees. Rose and Gracie are at the mercantile when they bump into Matthias Wagler, a widower, who is opening a harness shop in nearby Morning Star. Rose is lucky to find a cooking position at Morning Star Senior Center. Rose and Matthias spend more time together (thanks to Gracie), and she confides in him about her birth mother. In Anne’s letter, she had mentioned that Saul Hartzler was courting her. Matthias is aware of Saul and the Hartzler Carriage Company in Morning Star. One day Anne Hartzler walks into the senior center and meets Rose. Rose lost one mother, but she is getting a chance to know the woman who gave birth to her. It a town as small as Morning Star it is inevitable that Saul runs into Rose and Gracie when he is out with Anne and his mother. What happens when a thirty-year-old secret springs forth disrupting several lives? To see what happens, pick up A Mother’s Love.

A Mother’s Love is well-written and is an engaging novel. I found A Mother’s Love to be an emotional novel (you might need to keep a tissue handy). I give A Mother’s Love 4 out of 5 stars. I did have a little trouble with Gracie. She is a gregarious and active child who can easily get on a person’s nerves (she would wear me out in less than thirty minutes). She comes across as a little spoiled. Her mother gives her what she wants and Gracie does not seem to get punished when she eavesdrops on adult conversations (she snuck out of bed). You just know that this child is going to spill the secret (small children cannot keep secrets). A Mother’s Love is full of activity. It is amazing at how much the author packed into one novel. I thought A Mother’s Love has several good messages. They include that none of us are perfect (all of us have flaws), God has a plan for our lives, good things come to those that wait (aka God’s timing not our own). We see how important it is to forgive a person, to have love in our lives, and the importance of faith. The ending is very special and leaves a person with a good feeling in their heart. I liked A Mother’s Love and look forward to reading more Charlotte Hubbard books in the future. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Mar 26, 2017 |
This is one book that I couldn't put down. The author has written a very emotional story that grabs your attention as you feel the story come to life. It is hard to lose a family member. For Rose she has seen more than hervshare of tragedy. She has just buried her mom and now must face raiding her child Gracie all alone. She has no one rlse in the world and knows she must support herself and her daughter.

Rose finds a job working at a retirement center cooking. She is able to take her daughter with her. Rose is a sweet woman who is grieving over the loss of her mother, father and husband. That is s heavy murder to carry. Has Rose lost her faith in God? Will this job help her and Gracie start to get their lives bsvk together?

I fell instantly in love with Gracie. She is a very well mannered young girl. Her smile snd outgoing personality lights up a room. People at the center take to her right away. I could see her sitting at the table playing games with the residents and giving them joy in their life. She is a ray of sunshine and plays a vital role in the story, " And a child shall lead them."

Matthais is a hard working man who has come to know Rose by helping her with the burial of her mom. He has taken a shine to Gracie and thinks she is a delightful child. When Rose finds out a secret thst has been kept from her for many years, can Matthais help her work through it? Does she feel betrayed by the secret? Will she be able to forgive? The author has done an excellent job of showing us the consequences of hiding something. I love how Matthais stands by Rose and Gracie as more people are involved in the secret.

There are a few more characters in the book that the author introduces that shows the anger and resentment secrets can do to someone. The emotions were so real I could feel the pain mistrust thst came out. You don't want to miss this story that shows us forgiveness, faith and the unconditional love of a mother.

"Sometimes its the unexpected details that bring us to our knees."

"Forgiveness is a two-sided gift. The one who requests forgiveness is admitting a need for it, while the person who grants forgiveness has freed his own soul of any lingering doubt or trust. ( )
  Harley0326 | Feb 21, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 149670844X, Hardcover)

Faith, tenderness, security—there's nothing a mother won't give. Now beloved author Charlotte Hubbard brings you an unforgettable tale of hope, courage, discovery...and the most precious gift of all.

For widow Rose Raber, it’s been a year of tragic loss and difficult decisions. She thought providing for her young daughter was the greatest challenge she faced. Until her dying mother revealed that Rose was adopted—and her birth mother is someone with much to lose if the secret comes out. As Rose struggles to reconcile the truth with her faith—and her troubling curiosity—outgoing newcomer Matthias Wagler is another surprise she didn't expect. His optimism and easy understanding inspires her. And his prospective partnership with wealthy deacon Saul Hartzler promises a possible new life for them—together. But with this second chance comes yet another revelation for all involved.

When Saul’s wife unexpectedly turns up at Rose’s new job, their bond as mother and daughter is instant and unmistakable. And it isn't long before an unforgiving Saul discovers the truth, threatening Matthias’s livelihood and Rose’s future. Now with more than just their happiness at stake, Rose and Matthias must find the strength and courage to stand strong—and trust God's enduring miracles of motherhood, forgiveness, and love.

Praise for Charlotte Hubbard and the Seasons of the Heart series

“Hubbard writes Amish stories with style and grace.” —RT Book Reviews

“These very special books will sit proudly on my keeper shelf!” —Romance Reviews Today

“Another great book centered around the Sweet Seasons Café.” —RT Book Reviews, 4 Stars

“Those who enjoy a glimpse of the culture will find the story appealing.”  --Publishers Weekly

“A compelling story about a family in upheaval and a woman looking for strength.
There is a sweet romance, a bit of mystery and plenty of tension. There's also a bonus
section of delicious looking  recipes!” --The News and Sentinel

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 21 Feb 2017 02:22:12 -0500)

For Widow Rose Raber, it's been a year of tragic loss and difficult decisions. She thought providing for her young daughter was the greatest challenge she faced. Until her dying mother revealed that Rose was adopted-and her birth mother is someone with much to lose if the secret comes out. As Rose struggles to reconcile the truth with her faith-and her troubling curiosity-outgoing newcomer Matthias Wagler is another surprise she didn't expect. His optimism and easy understanding inspires her. And his prospective partnership with wealthy deacon Saul Hartzler promises a possible new life for them-together. But with this second chance comes yet another revelation for all involved. When Saul's wife unexpectedly turns up at Rose's new job, their bond as mother and daughter is instant and unmistakable. And it isn't long before an unforgiving Saul discovers the truth, threatening Matthias's livelihood and Rose's future.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,643,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible