The Homestead: The Dakota Series, Book 1 by…

The Homestead: The Dakota Series, Book 1

by Linda Byler

312,001,085 (4)None
Recently added byPages_Aplenty, MitziR, alekee

A real pioneering Amish family, traveling to North Dakota, alone, without their community, that is what is so different about this book. The time is the great depression, and the Detweiler family has hit rock bottom, and are trying for a new start with free government land.
There is no support system here for this family, and yet God has a way of helping them, wherever they are. Hannah I found to be one gutsy girl, and this family sure wouldn’t have survived without her. Although, she acted like she had a chip on her shoulder, even when people were trying to help her.
The author has included a lot about the differences between Pennsylvania and North Dakota as far as farming, and things become so very tough for this family. Was glad when the mom Sarah seemed to grow a backbone, and things are about to change for them, not always for the best, but we don’t get to choose.
I did have a hard time getting into this book, but a few chapters in I was hooked, and then the pages flew, and I had to know what happened. Try and stick it out, you won’t be disappointed.
I received this book through Edelweiss and the Publisher Good Books, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | May 2, 2017 |

Fifteen-year-old Hannah and her family move from Lancaster, Pennsylvania to North Dakota, where they face harsh realities far from any Amish communities, forcing her to work on a cattle ranch, where she meets a charismatic English boy named Clay Jenkins.… (more)

Good Books

An edition of this book was published by Good Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,564,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible