The Farmers' Market Mishap: A Sequel to…

The Farmers' Market Mishap: A Sequel to The Lopsided Christmas Cake

by Wanda E. Brunstetter

I so enjoy every book that Wanda E. Brunstetter writes. This was definitely no exception. This was fun to have the characters a bit older than normal. This story had me going back and forth as to whether Elma was going to end up with Ben or her old friend Delbert. This was such a good story. I received a copy of this book from Barbour for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Jun 6, 2017 |
A book to get lost in, and a fast read, read in one sitting, one you won’t want to put down.
Long distance romance is the theme here, is 50 miles to far, or will we have to look in our own area? This is the dilemma that Elma is going to go through in this story, add a thirty plus man who has not found the right one yet, although his mother sure has tried. Ben Wagler is a farrier and loves where he lives, we also learn that this Amish sect has a few difference from their neighbor.
Add to the fact that Elma is a twin, and she also owns a grocery store, but has remained close to her sister, who lives right across the road. Can she move and leave her twin, can she leave the store her grandparents started, and can he give up the home his parents have owed, and his business. A lot of questions, but they seem insurmountable, and yet there has to be a way, is there?
As I said once I pick this one up, leave me alone, I am gone, and yet enjoying myself!
I received this book through Net Galley and the Publisher Barbour, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Jun 1, 2017 |
I love when I find an author that is consistent in her writing. She always delivers well developed characters and the story flows so easily. Who am I talking about? There are several, but there is one that really sticks out. Wanda Brunstetter has joined with Jean Brunstetter to brings readers a delightful story that is consistent in telling a beautiful story about faith, a bit of romance and family.

I absolutely adore the twin sisters Elma and Thelma . They are very family oriented and I love how they are always there for each other. I think that it is funny that Thelma is trying to get her twin married off. Elma is very dedicated to her shop and I liked her honesty about being a bit jealous of her sister who is married and expecting a child. Poor Delbert is really trying to win Elma's attention, but I don't think it is looking good for him. He sure doesn't give up. He helps fix things around Elma's house and is always available when she needs something. He's a good man, but I wanted to tell him to back off a bit.

The Farmer's Marker is a fun adventure and I loved how it was described. Vendors with fresh juicy fruits, vegetables ready to cook and pies that melt in your mouth. What seems to be an innocent meeting between Ben and Elma at the market will change the course of many lives. I loved Ben from the start. He is a hard worker and helps his mom out whenever needed.

I loved the story so much because it captures families and neighbors helping each other . Will Ben and Elma develop a relationship? Will Thelma and her husband have a boy or girl? To get these answers grab a copy of this lighthearted beautiful written story and fall in love with the character. I can't forget to mention Hunter. Hunter is a dog that is very important to someone in the story. Can this dog bring happiness to a couple?

I received an advanced copy of this book from the author. The review is my own opinion. ( )
  Harley0326 | May 29, 2017 |
The Farmers’ Market Mishap by Wanda E. Brunstetter and Jean Brunstetter is the sequel to The Lopsided Christmas Cake. Elma Hochstetler is thirty-four years old and has been living alone since her twin sister, Thelma married Joseph Beechy. Elma has a busy life with taking care of their general store, home, garden and chores in the barn. But it does get lonely and Elma wonders if she will end up an old maid. Thelma is worried about her sister and keeps pushing her towards Delbert Gingerich. Delbert and Elma used to court, but they were not suited (Elma found him set in his ways and disliked his various quirks). Thelma hopes that her sister will change her mind (she wants her to stay close by). Thelma and Joseph are excited about their first child. It means, though, that Thelma cannot work as many hours in the store, and Elma must take on more responsibility. Ben Wagler lives in Grabill with his widowed mother, Dorothy. Dorothy has taken a booth at the Shipshewana farmer’s market to sell some of her excess produce and her lovely flowers. Ben decides to look around before the market opens and encounters Elma at her stand where he proceeds to knock over some of her produce. Elma and Ben are attracted to each other, but they live about fifty miles apart. Elma tried a long-distance relationship in the past and it did not work out. Plus, she has responsibilities and would never consider moving away from her sister especially now that she is becoming an aunt. Is there a chance for a happily ever after for Ben and Elma?

The Farmers’ Market Mishap is a light-hearted Amish romance that I enjoyed reading. It is well-written and has engaging characters. The Farmers’ Market Mishap has a good pace, it is just the right length, and it has a satisfying ending. I especially liked the addition of Hunter/Freckles. He is a smart and loving dog that accomplishes what the humans could not. The Farmers’ Market Mishap is a sequel to The Lopsided Christmas Cake, but it can be read alone. I give The Farmers’ Market Mishap 4 out of 5 stars. The story has an expected ending, but I was still pleased with the story. The Farmers’ Market Mishap is the perfect book to read on a hot afternoon. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | May 23, 2017 |
Wanda Brunstetter has a way of soothing away my worries and distractions with her stories of the Amish. The Farmer's Market Mishap-Extended Preview: A Sequel to The Lopsided Christmas Cake is exactly that kind of book. Elma and Thelma are identical twins. Thelma was married had moved across the street and was pregnant with her first child. Their parents had moved out of town. That left Elma at home taking care of the chickens and tending to a store that used to owned and operated by her parents.

Even though the sisters loved each other, Elma was feeling a little left out, she had been courted twice but neither of the men worked out. Was she destined to be a single person the rest of her life?

At the same time Ben in Grabill, Indiana, a town some distance away from Elma was thinking that he might also be living with his mother the rest of his life. His mother had introduced him to several young women living close by but none of them was the one he wanted. He had to take his mother to a Farmer's Market to sell some her flowers, fruits and vegetables. Elma also went to the market to help her sister. There was a mishap when the two met and the story takes off.

This is a charming story full of love for friends and relatives and I really enjoyed the ending. I have to read more of the author's books because I love them!

I received this advanced reading copy by making a selection from Amazon Vine books but that in no way influenced my thoughts or feelings in this review. I also posted this review only on sites meant for reading not for selling. ( )
  Carolee888 | Apr 20, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 163409932X, Paperback)

New York Times Bestselling Author Wanda E. Brunstetter and Daughter-in-Law, Jean, Weave a Lighthearted Romance from Indiana’s Amish Country

Living alone for the first time in her life is lonely for Elma Hochstetler, whose twin sister Thelma recently married. Though they share the running of a general store, more and more of Thelma’s time is taken up by her growing family. Elma has dated some, but she wonders if she is just too picky to find love.

Through a mishap at the farmers’ market, Elma meets Ben Wagler and instantly likes him. But there is a problem. He lives in Grabill—50 miles away! But Elma has tried long-distance dating before, and it won’t work for her.  Besides the store needs her. Her sister needs her. Elma feels love will forever remain beyond her grasp.

How did Thelma meet her husband?  Find out in The Lopsided Christmas Cake.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 08 Feb 2017 07:35:09 -0500)

"Living alone for the first time in her life is lonely for Elma Hochstetler, whose twin sister Thelma recently married. Though they share the running of a general store, more and more of Thelma's time is taken up by her growing family. Elma has dated some, but she wonders if she is just too picky to find love. Through a mishap at the farmers' market, Elma meets Ben Wagler and instantly likes him. But there is a problem. He lives in Grabill--50 miles away! But Elma has tried long-distance dating before, and it won't work for her. Besides the store needs her. Her sister needs her. Elma feels love will forever remain beyond her grasp. Elma has a habit of putting others before her own needs. Can she learn to take a risk at following the desires of her heart?" -- provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,996,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible