The Ebb Tide by Beverly Lewis

The Ebb Tide

by Beverly Lewis

Beverly Lewis is a classic writer! Her books always give me spiritual and scriptural inspiration. I truly enjoy reading them.
Twenty year old Sallie Riehl is at that point in her life where she must choose to make a lifetime commitment to the Amish church by joining and being baptized. She even has a beau courting her, Perry, whom she has no attraction to. Sallie is invited by a wealthy family to spend the summer as their nanny at the beach in New Jersey. Her parents agree to let her go but with great reservations. Her strong desire to travel and see the world is a constant conflict with the Amish beliefs. Reasoning that this trip will get it out of her system she more than happily agrees to go.
What fun it was to experience the trip, the ocean and the beach through her eyes! Such a fresh view of so much we take for granted. As if all there was to see and do are not enough she gets a taste of freedom she never before had. Her weekends are open to do as she pleases. On her grand adventure she meets Kevin. He is fun, interesting, shares her dreams to travel and she finds herself having strong feelings toward him.
Upon her return home the trip has not only failed to extinguish her passion for travel, but Sallie finds herself desiring it even more. Her eyes being opened she realizes she is not happy with her Amish life. She must now make the decision to disappoint her family and leave or stay forever living in discontent.
The book’s title was so meaningful to the story. The way time and circumstances pulls us forward into the future and back into the past. The book presents a strong testimony of seeking God’s will in the face of tough decisions; pleasing Him or others. An excellent book!
I received this book free from Bethany House Publishers in exchange for an honest review. The opinions stated are my own.

. ( )
  Mizroady | Aug 10, 2017 |
I heard about this book as a follower of Beverly Lewis on Facebook and was pleased to be able to request it from the library. I liked the story and the characters and the setting sounded beautiful. ( )
  eliorajoy | May 3, 2017 |
A very different Amish book as our main character has wanderlust, and was surprised her family was going to allow it, although she promises for sure she will join the Church next year.
While she does forgo one trip another seems to fall in her lap, and a life change is about to happen. She is going to Cape May NJ and becoming a nanny. Now that sounds like a fun job and time to me, and she sure does have a lot of adventures, which we are going to enjoy with her.
After all of this will she be able to come home and bend her knee, and maybe join the young man who seems to want to court her. Or will the adventure be the catalysis to leave her faith, one would hope not. We do meet her family and extended family, and she is mightily blessed to have so much support.
A fun read that is full of interesting information, it made me want to head to New Jersey. Enjoy your stay with Riehl family and friends.

I received this book through Net Galley and Bethany House Publishing and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Apr 4, 2017 |
The Ebb Tide is a new Amish novel by author Beverly Lewis. Sallie Riehl is just shy of twenty years old and lives with her family in Paradise Township, Pennsylvania. Sallie has yet to join the Old Order Amish community, because she has dreamed of traveling for years. Her goal is a trip to Australia, and she has finally saved up enough money. Sallie purchases her trip and announces to her family that she will be leaving in two weeks. The Riehl family receives news that Aaron, Sallie’s four years old newphew, has a heart murmurer. He needs tests and possibly surgery. Vernon, Aaron’s father and Sallie’s brother, is worried about the costs. Sallie knows what she most due and cancels her trip. The money is put towards Aaron’s tests. But when God closes a door, he opens a window. Sallie is asked to be a nanny for the summer for young Autumn Logan in Cape May, New Jersey. This will be Sallie’s chance to travel. It would mean, though, putting off her baptism instruction classes for another year (much to her mother’s dismay). Sallie’s parents agree, and she is quickly off to the seashore. Sallie takes Autumn to visit the Cape May Whale Watch and Research Center and meets intern, Kevin Kreider. Kevin is studying to be a marine biologist and is a Mennonite. Kevin and Sallie start spending time together. Sallie knows she can only be friends with Kevin, but she greatly enjoys his company. At the end of the summer, Sallie returns home. But she is not content upon her return. Sallie needs to reflect and decide what she wants for her future.

The Ebb Tide is a well-written and engaging novel. I liked the characters and the setting. Cape May sounds just beautiful. I felt that the book had a good flow and was well-paced. The religious aspect of the novel is not as light as in other Amish novels, but it is not dominant or overwhelming. We are shown how prayer, love, faith and reflection can help (benefit) a person’s life and those around them. I appreciated that the author included an epilogue that nicely wrapped up the story. I give The Ebb Tide 4 out of 5 stars. I found The Ebb Tide to be a lovely novel. It is a nice break from what is going on in the world. I did feel that it was a little too long, but, otherwise, I liked it. I look forward to reading the next Beverly Lewis novel when it releases. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Apr 2, 2017 |
The Ebb Tide by Beverly Lewis is a sweet Christian/Amish tale. Sallie is a young Amish woman has had a heart for traveling the world in which God created. Her family wishes to see her baptized as an Amish soon. Beverly Lewis's novel is heartfelt, it is easily relatable as we have to decide between what our families want for us and we want. I felt sad and then happy for Sallie. Happiness is by falling our hearts. A deep and beautifully told story. ( )
  Robin1508 | Mar 22, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076421909X, Hardcover)

A Heartwarming Tale of Courage and Love from Amish Fiction's #1 Author

When a well-to-do family asks Sallie Riehl to be their daughter's nanny for the summer at their Cape May, New Jersey, vacation home, she jumps at the chance to broaden her horizons beyond the Lancaster County Amish community where she grew up. Sallie has long dreamed of seeing more of the world, but her parents are reluctant for her to put off baptism yet another summer, and the timing is unfortunate for Perry Zook, who has renewed interest in courting her.

Though she loves nannying, Sallie has free time on the weekends to enjoy the shore. It is there that she meets Kevin Kreider, a marine biology student who talks freely about all he's learning and asks about her interests, unlike most of the guys she grew up with. Time with Kevin is invigorating, and Sallie realizes she's never felt quite this alive around Perry. Then again, Kevin is Mennonite, not Amish.

Sallie tries to brush aside her growing feelings for Kevin, but she fears what her parents would think about her new friendship. Just as concerning, however, is Sallie's realization that her time in Cape May is increasing her desire to see the world, challenging her plans for the future. Has she been too hasty with her promises, or will Sallie only find what her heart is longing for back home in Paradise Township?

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 12 Feb 2017 14:47:39 -0500)

When a well-to-do family asks Sallie Riehl to be their daughter's nanny for the summer at their Cape May, New Jersey, vacation home, she jumps at the chance to broaden her horizons beyond the Lancaster County Amish community where she grew up. Curious by nature, Sallie loves reading and learning, and she fears that her chances of making a good match with an Amish farmer will be hampered because of it. Though she loves taking care of nine-year-old Autumn Weaver during the week, Sallie has free time on the weekends to enjoy the shore. It is there that she meets Edward Kreider, a young marine biology student who talks freely about all he's learning and asks about her interests, unlike the guys she grew up with. Sallie wonders if this is the kind of relationship she's been longing for. Then again, Ed isn't from her community--and he's Mennonite, not Amish. Sallie is afraid of what her parents would think about her new friendship. But that's not all she's fearful of. When unexpected danger threatens Autumn, Sallie will have to put her fears aside. Will this be a summer to remember, or one to forget?… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Beverly Lewis's book The Ebb Tide was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,389,640 books! | Top bar: Always visible