Ghosts of Country Music: Tales of Haunted…

Ghosts of Country Music: Tales of Haunted Honky Tonks & Legendary Spectres

by Matthew L. Swayne

411,664,912 (4)None
Recently added bybfodavid, Empidonax, EvaBraun, cburnett5

3.5-4 stars

The cover for this book immediately caught my eye when I was book browsing. I am a huge fan of older country music, and the paranormal aspects of the book relating to country music intrigued me. Matthew Swayne chronicles the hauntings and ghostly tales of country singers themselves, various venues and homes, recording studios and numerous other places. Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline and Elvis Presley are three of my favorites, and they all figure prominently in The Ghosts of Country Music.

Swayne thoroughly researched his topic and covers a wide range of subjects. My favorite stories were those related to Johnny Cash and his friends Johnny Horton (who was also a country singer) and Merle Kilgore and the numerous hauntings recorded at Ryman Auditorium, the original home of the Grand Ole Opry. I also loved the story about RCA Records in Nashville where anytime Elvis’s name is mentioned, something spooky occurs like strange noises being heard and lights blowing up. For some reason this Elvis story reminded me of the bad luck thespians believe will occur when someone utters the name Macbeth in a theatre.

For those interested in the paranormal or others like me who find the book concept enthralling, I definitely recommend this book. I highly enjoyed the various stories and now have a long list of places I want to visit to see if I will experience what others in The Ghosts of Country Music witnessed (though I only want to see the nonthreatening ghosts!). Thanks to Llewellyn Publications and NetGalley for the chance to read this ARC in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  cburnett5 | Dec 11, 2016 |

Strum a Spooky Banjo, Tip that Ten-Gallon Hat, and Meet Country Music’s Greatest Ghosts

Jam out to this impressive compilation of haunted hot spots, creepy curses, and celebrity spirits of country and western music. Presenting the paranormal legacy behind one of America’s oldest and most popular genres, Ghosts of Country Music takes a captivating, in-depth look at legendary musicians and the places where they perform . . . even after death.

Experience true stories of larger-than-life stars―including Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, and Johnny Cash―haunting their favorite homes and stages. Step inside the Music City Center, the Apollo Civic Theatre, Bobby Mackey’s Music World, and other iconic venues where ghosts love to roam. Explore the numerous recording studios, record shops, and radio stations that attract paranormal activity. This fascinating book will thrill you with much more than just a catchy tune.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 11 Dec 2016 12:14:35 -0500)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,744,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible