World of Pooh by A. A. Milne

World of Pooh (edition 1957)

by A. A. Milne

Member:empress8411
Title:World of Pooh
Authors:A. A. Milne
Info:Dutton Juvenile (1957), Edition: 1st Illustrated Edition, Paperback, 314 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Childrens - Classic

The World of Winnie-the-Pooh: The Complete Winnie-the-Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner by A. A. Milne (Author)

English (32)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (34)
I love Winnie-The-Pooh. It's great for Children of all ages. ( )
  RBeene | Mar 17, 2015 |
The Winnie the pooh tales tell the story of Pooh and his friends. This classic could be used to illustrate the importance of friendship. It's a good story to read aloud.
  harleybrenton | Mar 12, 2015 |
Brilliant, truly. ( )
  TrgLlyLibrarian | Feb 1, 2015 |
I read this book as part of a nighttime reading to my eight year old daughter. On the one hand it was a good fit because each chapter was no longer than thirteen pages, a perfect length to read as part of bedtime. And then the characters are already well-known thanks to Disney. I will admit this that this aspect made it a bit challenging because I could never quite get the voices of the characters right when reading them aloud. I was only satisfied with my voice for Eyeore. And I think that I failed miserably on Pooh every time. Another thing that I liked was that Disney did a good job of translating the characters to the screen. The cartoons very much matched the book. In fact, several chapters seemed to be a directly converted into the cartoons. It made me feel good that the book was providing a high-quality source and giving me more than what could be found in the cartoons.

Now, on the other hand, the book wasn't totally a great fit to be read aloud to a young-ish child. The stories were originally written in 1926 and 1928 and some of the descriptions use older terms. I had to redescribe items several times. Plus there were many moments of more mature humor that were totally lost on my daughter. Often the characters would misspell words (Owl spelled his name as WOL); something that is lost when read out loud and to a child who doesn't immediately recognize a misspelled word. Plus there were several times when important elements to a chapter were left unsaid. As an adult, I knew what was happening, but a child would not. For example, the final chapter where Christopher Robin is going away. My daughter just thought of that as Christopher Robin going to play elsewhere or with different friends or different toys. But as adults, we can read between the lines and realize that Christopher Robin is growing up and moving away from childhood and into adulthood and leaving his imagination behind in the process. A sad fact regardless but a hard truth to convey to someone who still lives in a world of imagination. Overall, I'm glad that I read the stories but I probably won't read them to my second daughter until she's a bit older than eight. ( )
  dagon12 | Dec 29, 2014 |
Reading this book for an author's presentation was quite delightful. The first thing that caught my attention was the cover, as well as the colors and characters on the front. Other than the beautiful pictures in and out of the book, I enjoyed reading about Winnie-The-Pooh and his new friendships that began to form with Christopher Robin, Piglet, Tigger, and Eeyore. As they travel through the Hundred Acre Woods, there doesn't seem to be a lack of exciting events that happen in the forest! Great read for younger students, large font, adorable pictures--just a great book.
  zahammou | Dec 9, 2014 |

Milne, A. A.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shepard, Ernest H.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shepard, E.H.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TO HER

Hand in hand we come
Christopher Robin and I
To lay this book in your lap.
Say you're surprised?
Say you like it?
Say it's just what you wanted?
Because it's yours -
Because we love you.
Introduction:  If you happen to have read another book about Christopher Robin, you may remember that he once had a swan (or the swan had Christopher Robin, I don't know which) and that he used to call this swan Pooh.
This work includes both "Winnie-the-Pooh" and "The House at Pooh Corner". Please don't combine with either work.

"The World of Pooh" includes "Winnie-the-Pooh" and "The House at Pooh Corner".
"The World of Christopher Robin" includes "When We Were Very Young" and "Now We Are Six".

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0525457232, Hardcover)

When Christopher Robin asks Pooh what he likes doing best in the world, Pooh says, after much thought, "What I like best in the whole world is Me and Piglet going to see You, and You saying 'What about a little something?' and Me saying, 'Well, I shouldn't mind a little something, should you, Piglet,' and it being a hummy sort of day outside, and birds singing."

Happy readers for over 70 years couldn't agree more. Pooh's status as a "Bear of Very Little Brain" belies his profoundly eternal wisdom in the ways of the world. To many, Winnie-the-Pooh, Piglet, Eeyore, and the others are as familiar and important as their own family members. A.A. Milne's classics, Winnie-the-Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner, are brought together in this beautiful edition, complete and unabridged, with recolored illustrations by Milne's creative counterpart, Ernest H. Shepard. Join Pooh and the gang as they meet a Heffalump, help get Pooh unstuck from Rabbit's doorway, (re)build a house for Eeyore, and try to unbounce Tigger. A childhood is simply not complete without full participation in all of Pooh's adventures. (All ages) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:51 -0400)

This deluxe volume brings all of the Pooh stories together in one full-color, large-format book with complete and unabridged text and illustrations.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,224,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible